Fact or Fiction....Will Iowa become the #1 team some time in the regular season?

I'd much rather have a #1 seed than a #1 ranking. The rankings dont mean anything at all.

That being said I don't see how Iowa gets a #1 ranking or even 1st place votes without winning at least the next 4 in a row. That probably still wont even get them there without lots of help.

What percentage of 1 seeds come from teams ranked in the top 4? I'm guessing it's pretty high. Rankings matter. They matter to the selection committee, they matter to fans, and they matter to recruits.

The better question is...

When do the Hawks become a BLUE BLOOD program!?

*please note sarcasm

iowa is more than in the running for a 1 seed but stop saying that they are because i fear sports and people failing on tv makes me sad

During the regular season? Fiction.

At the end of the NCAA tourney? FACT

Kidding, it's all fiction. I don't really care as long as Iowa is playing well.

With the introduction of power BRAKES, it makes me wonder how many young people really know the meaning of this saying!

With the introduction of Anti-lock brakes it makes me wonder how many realize the difference between power brakes and anti-lock brakes.

Some of the same pieces. I'm not saying 2014 is going to happen. I'm just saying things like what happened in 2014 have conditioned me to be pessimistic.

I've seen too many Iowa teams tank just when things are looking promising.. So I'm holding my breath.

Not sure Iowa gets to #1 this year - so gotta go with fiction for now. But if Iowa can find a way to go 3-0 over these next three games, then I think it's possible, given the rest of the schedule. I still think Iowa loses to Purdue and/or Maryland - @MD being the more likely loss, but a loss to Purdue wouldn't exactly shock me. They have a good team.

What matters to me is that Iowa gets a good enough seed so that they're not an underdog in the round of 32, and are playing well enough to make a deep tournament run.

Last edited:
Cyclone fan here, and im here to say i dont know if it's a good thing to be #1 lol

Good point, LOL. Though we tend to not think of one game (or loss) as our whole season. :cool:

I'd also suggest a high seed is a bit overrated too. We've seen enough over the last 10 years to know that there are no "sure things" in the NCAA tourney. This may be the year a #1 finally loses. And if you win in the first round win as a #1, you're playing an 8-9, which is a good team.

There are no "gimmes" in the NCAA tourney.

Last edited:
Fiction, unless it is after the season has completed I'm not sure we want this team to have that target on their back.

This team has been playing well but they just don't feel like a #1 team to me, that 1986/87 team did and could have been the best team that year. That team had 4 starters that would go on to play in the NBA. But OTOH, perhaps a team like Iowa does end up #1 as, IMO, their isn't a clear cut #1 team right now.

Actually:

Roy Marble- Atlanta Hawks
BJ Armstrong - Chicago Bulls
Ed Horton- Washington Bullets
Brad Lohaus- Boston Celtics
Kevin Gamble- Boston Celtics
Bill Jones- New Jersey Nets- brief stint
Les Jepsen- Golden State Warriors

Gerrt Wright- Went to the Air Force played home games for CBA Pensacola team declining the NBA draft or he may have been drafted and certainly could have been called up from CBA like Gambel and Jones.

That was the best team in Iowa history.

Last edited:
It would be a long shot, but would like to see them a 1 seed in Des Moines. Got to go last year in Seattle and March madness is an awesome atmosphere. I can't even imagine what it would be like in Des Moines with the Hawks. You think tickets for the Rose Bowl were expensive!

The Hawks would have to go undefeated in the Big10 to get that #1 on the poll. Is it possible absolutely cause they haven’t lost yet. Will they I have no idea, but i will enjoy the ride!

Actually:

Roy Marble- Atlanta Hawks
BJ Armstrong - Chicago Bulls
Ed Horton- Washington Bullets
Brad Lohaus- Boston Celtics
Kevin Gamble- Boston Celtics
Bill Jones- New Jersey Nets- brief stint
Les Jepsen- Golden State Warriors

Gerrt Wright- Went to the Air Force played home games for CBA Pensacola team declining the NBA draft or he may have been drafted and certainly could have been called up from CBA like Gambel and Jones.

That was the best team in Iowa history.

I forgot that Ed Horton played a season in the NBA, so all 5 starters played in the NBA from that season.

So getting back to my original point, THAT felt like a #1 team. This years team is good and college basketball has changed since then, but it doesn't feel like a #1. But anything can happen in basketball, there is way more parity in college basketball today than there was back then. Top players don't stay in college for 4 years anymore, I doubt players like Marble & Armstrong would have stuck around for 4 years if they played today.

Agree mostly. This team feels like a dangerous top 10 team in a year that no one wants to claim it.

As far as Marble/BJ ect.. I look at it like this; If you time warped those players into today's game, BJ, maybe Gamble make rosters... Maybe. If you time warp them at birth and develop them like players today are, the results would possibly be the same.

I Edited Ray Thompson, he was 1-2 years from that team.

I forgot that Ed Horton played a season in the NBA, so all 5 starters played in the NBA from that season.

So getting back to my original point, THAT felt like a #1 team. This years team is good and college basketball has changed since then, but it doesn't feel like a #1. But anything can happen in basketball, there is way more parity in college basketball today than there was back then. Top players don't stay in college for 4 years anymore, I doubt players like Marble & Armstrong would have stuck around for 4 years if they played today.

They are feeling more and more like a top 5 team at least. They have one of the best players in the nation and one of the best natural scorers in the nation who has been deferring to Uthoff for most of the year. Next year Jok will probably lead the Big 10 in scoring. He is getting better by the game.

They are feeling more and more like a top 5 team at least. They have one of the best players in the nation and one of the best natural scorers in the nation who has been deferring to Uthoff for most of the year. Next year Jok will probably lead the Big 10 in scoring. He is getting better by the game.

If you are going to have a team loaded with Seniors this is probably the year to have it.

Latest posts