Fact or Fiction....Will Iowa become the #1 team some time in the regular season?

HaydenHawk56

With all the upsets going on and Iowa playing very well at the moment....will they assume the number 1 ranking at some point in the next several weeks (or however long it takes)?

If they win the next 3 it should be getting very interesting....probably still not there yet though.

Would have to go back to 87 I believe since the last time Iowa was ranked number one.

It is possible. All 3 B12 teams ahead of us lost. UNC plays Louisville. Villanova plays Providence. Same with Xavier. SMU plays nobody special, yet has a couple tough game. So we would have to leapfrog a couple. But beat Purdue and beat Maryland, and we could do just that... Will be an interesting 2 weeks to finish out the month. The home stretch should be fantastic.

On Iowa!

I think we will lose before we get that opportunity but thankfully this team has already proved me wrong this year. I truly believe there are no elite teams this year. Just a handful of really good ones. I don't think #1 means too much right now.

With all the upsets going on and Iowa playing very well at the moment....will they assume the number 1 ranking at some point in the next several weeks (or however long it takes)?

If they win the next 3 it should be getting very interesting....probably still not there yet though.

Would have to go back to 87 I believe since the last time Iowa was ranked number one.

Fiction, although I will be THRILLED if we win the next 3 games. Personally, I think we'll likely drop one at Maryland, and maybe vs. Purdue. Gotta stay focused and keep attacking, and good things can happen.

If we go 4-0 in these next 2 week, we will probably be number 1 with the way teams are losing.

Watching games the past week or so, no game is a sure thing and it seems that, the more obvious the outcome, the more likely the upset. Some strange outcomes lately, which I realize has no effect on Iowa, but is still scary.

Fiction, unless it is after the season has completed I'm not sure we want this team to have that target on their back.

This team has been playing well but they just don't feel like a #1 team to me, that 1986/87 team did and could have been the best team that year. That team had 4 starters that would go on to play in the NBA. But OTOH, perhaps a team like Iowa does end up #1 as, IMO, their isn't a clear cut #1 team right now.

Pump the breaks people. Iowa is having a nice season. Just be happy to be in the Big 10 title hunt.

Pump the breaks people. Iowa is having a nice season. Just be happy to be in the Big 10 title hunt.

What for? It's been a while since we have been able to get this excited about Iowa basketball. Step on the gas and enjoy the ride!

Some of the same pieces. I'm not saying 2014 is going to happen. I'm just saying things like what happened in 2014 have conditioned me to be pessimistic.

I'd much rather have a #1 seed than a #1 ranking. The rankings dont mean anything at all.

That being said I don't see how Iowa gets a #1 ranking or even 1st place votes without winning at least the next 4 in a row. That probably still wont even get them there without lots of help.

Some of the same pieces. I'm not saying 2014 is going to happen. I'm just saying things like what happened in 2014 have conditioned me to be pessimistic.

If you want to be pessimistic that's fine but encouraging others to "pump the gas" and be pessimistic because of the past is silly. From my viewpoint what is the point of being a sports fan if I can't enjoy when they have success? This isn't 2014 and what happened in the past has nothing to do with what happens this year.

Maybe you will be that guy who starts believing once WildThing steps out of the bullpen? ;)

hqdefault.jpg

Latest posts