Fabulous Few version II?

Could we be seeing a remake version of a team low on bench players like we did in 1980?

Nice article on that 1980 team. This is an older article but a fun read.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...jon-darsee-ronnie-lester-lute-olson/25249399/
There will always be only one fabulous few team, regardless of what this team accomplishes. We were basically going seven deep the whole second half of the season, sometimes six deep. In addition to the guys who weren't playing, Steve Krafciscin was dealing with a hip pointer and often had his leg bandaged from his waist to his knee. Bobby Hansen was playing with a bruised thumb and Kenny Arnold with a broken hand. Or was it the other way around?

Two of the three teams we defeated on our run would soon win Natty's of their own. North Carolina State and Georgetown. In fact the young nucleus of the NC State team we played included Sidney Lowe and Dereck Whittenburg.

I also remember them being called the “walking wounded.” I was fortunate enough to get to see that team play at the Fiesta Classic in Tempe, Arizona that year. We beat the Montana St. Grizzlies and then lost to a #3 ranked Arizona St. team that included future NBA players Byron Scott, Lafayette “Fat” Lever, and Alton Lister.
I also remember that when we recruited Ronnie Lester, we also had another recruit getting ready to commit to Iowa by the name of Isaiah Thomas. But Bobby Knight slept on his couch and got him to sign the next morning. This where we got the no contact rule with recruits we have today. But can you imagine a backcourt of Ronnie Lester and Isaiah Thomas back then?

Latest posts