Expansion: Time for the NCAA to step in

BSpringsteen

So now we are talking about a 22 team league, stretching south from Austin, North to Seattle and East to Ames, IA?

What is the response going to be, the Big 10 merging with the SEC?

This is ridiculous and the NCAA should step in and cap the number of teams that are allowed in each conference.

Of course this looming disaster is the NCAA's in the making by allowing an outside entity to decide the football power rankings and national championship.

But it doesn't take a genius to be able to see that in this gigantic money grab, there will be a slippery slope and reactions from every other institution.

The only way I see full conference mergers happening is if no one in the BIg XII actually plays anyone in the Pac 10 until their mega conference championship game and that format is followed in the conference mergers that follow.

So now we are talking about a 22 team league, stretching south from Austin, North to Seattle and East to Ames, IA?

This is ridiculous and the NCAA should step in and cap the number of teams that are allowed in each conference.

Of course this looming disaster is the NCAA's in the making by allowing an outside entity to decide the football power rankings and national championship.

But it doesn't take a genius to be able to see that in this gigantic money grab, there will be a slippery slope and reactions from every other institution.

The only way I see full conference mergers happening is if no one in the BIg XII actually plays anyone in the Pac 10 until their mega conference championship game and that format is followed in the conference mergers that follow.
I personally think the NCAA needs to be rid of. It is corrupt. In all honesty tell me what good they serve college athletics?

The problem is that the schools aren't required to be a part of the NCAA. If the BCS schools were really irritated by too much NCAA meddling, legally they could form a separate entity which would not only take away the NCAA's governance of football but could also destroy the men's and women's basketball tournaments and the College World Series. The NCAA won't risk losing its primary four money-making events just to make a point about conference size.

Why does an organization like the NCAA have to get involved in a free enterprise process? If those two conferences want to merge, then they should be allowed to merge. There's no monopoly created by the merger, so I don't see the issue. At the end of the day, the NCAA only exists at the behest of the member insitutions. I would guess that in the next 5-10 years that the NCAA will no longer exist.

The Pac Ten Big 12 complete merger is not going to happen. Its the most ludacris idea thats been thrown out there so far

@Goods and @Jumper... here is why both of you are wrong...

Is this NCAA corrupt? Yes. Does it have a ton of antiquated non sensical rules and regulations? Yes. Do they still have the ultimate power? Yes

You hypothesize that because schools aren't obligated to be part of the NCAA, that they won't step in?

So there will be no regulating body at all in collegiate athletics? The SEC will be able to take athletes who don't have diploma's and allow them not to go to class?

Good luck getting 119 universities to agree to a set o guidelines.

The NCAA should step in and they would have absolutely no risk whatsoever of losing their marquee events or a single member institution. There are still Presidents of Universities and Boards of Regents to report to.. Athletic Dept's don't operate totally autonomously.

Don't worry. This is not happening. There will eventually be four major conferences of either 16 or 18 teams.

If it goes to 18, Boise, TCU, Navy, Army, ND, Utah, and one other team will be drawn into a major conference. If it goes to 16, one team (most likely ISU, KSU, or Cincy) will be left out of the final group.

This has all been in the making for a few months. The SEC has known who their new South West schools will be. The ACC is looking into adding teams from the Big East in their footprint. The one ambiguous school is Kansas. They really fit best with the Big Ten, but the Big Ten is only going to go there if the bring in Nebby and nothing else works out.

The new conferences will basically be the West, Central, Atlantic, and South East.

I posted the conference teams over two months ago. I just wish the history button let you go back that far.

Last edited:
Don't worry. This is not happening. There will eventually be four major conferences of either 16 or 18 teams.

If it goes to 18, Boise, TCU, Navy, Army, ND, Utah, and one other team will be drawn into a major conference. If it goes to 16, one team (most likely ISU, KSU, or Cincy) will be left out of the final group.

This has all been in the making for a few months. The SEC has known who their new South West schools will be. The ACC is looking into adding teams from the Big East in their footprint. The one ambiguous school is Kansas. They really fit best with the Big Ten, but the Big Ten is only going to go there if the bring in Nebby and nothing else works out.

The new conferences will basically be the West, Central, Atlantic, and South East.

I posted the conference teams over two months ago. I just wish the history button let you go back that far.

Still nothing but your opinions and nothing has been confirmed....yet you always seem to post your opinions like they are facts

Once the universities rid themselves of the NCAA- something unthinkable WILL happen (it's just a matter of time) and the masses get all offended because there's not a governing body overseeing everything going on. The call will be to create an oversight committee and we're back where we started.

@Goods and @Jumper... here is why both of you are wrong...

Is this NCAA corrupt? Yes. Does it have a ton of antiquated non sensical rules and regulations? Yes. Do they still have the ultimate power? Yes

You hypothesize that because schools aren't obligated to be part of the NCAA, that they won't step in?

So there will be no regulating body at all in collegiate athletics? The SEC will be able to take athletes who don't have diploma's and allow them not to go to class?

Good luck getting 119 universities to agree to a set o guidelines.

The NCAA should step in and they would have absolutely no risk whatsoever of losing their marquee events or a single member institution. There are still Presidents of Universities and Boards of Regents to report to.. Athletic Dept's don't operate totally autonomously.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges with the SEC thing. If the NCAA tries to make one school/team play by the same rules that the other schools play by, all the schools benefit and are generally fine with it; however, if a significant portion of the schools are being held back by the NCAA, they are more than willing to put the NCAA in its place (see early-1980's television deals, which set the precedent that allows schools to destroy the NCAA if they choose). The NCAA doesn't work if it goes against the will of the majority of its primary member institutions, which it may risk doing if it tries to limit conference size.

Also, if the BCS schools left the NCAA, the NCAA would still exist. It could monitor other D-1 schools as well as D-2 and D-3. And if those (BCS level) schools did choose to leave the NCAA, then they would immediately create some sort of over-sight committee to fill in for part of what the NCAA currently does.

Last edited:
Still nothing but your opinions and nothing has been confirmed....yet you always seem to post your opinions like they are facts

Okay, let's play it this way. If I am wrong, I will come on and admit my mistake. If I am right you come on and say I was right.

Listen, I don't come on and provide rumors about kids grades, their girlfriends, etc. I bring information that I have heard from what have proven to me to be reliable sources. Sometimes this information flies in conflict with the desires of people on this board and you all hammer me. But way more often than not, these things come to pass.

With respect to this one, I am a Cal graduate, who lives in SEC country. I have been hearing about this for two months from people from both conferences, but mainly from the SEC people. Heck, there have even been radio interviews with guys that cover the conference. The SEC people know they are not in a particularly strong position to create their own conference, but ESPN has put their eggs in that basket and both the conference and network are happy.

It is not my opinion. It is something that I have heard talked about by personal sources, and it has also been reported in the media down here.

There needs to be some governing body, otherwise the fox is loose in the henhouse. But the NCAA exists because the colleges allowed it to be created...with a nudge from Teddy Roosevelt.

Agreed, Jon. You have to have some sort of governing body otherwise it comes down to which schools can afford to pay the most to the best recruits. Then we may as well call it the NFL minor league system.

Latest posts