Evelyn Expectations

His highlights sure look good,but who knows. I have high expectations for CJ. So by default I have lower ones for Evelyn. I also think Fran is a way better coach than other people give him credit for. He wins at a pretty good level with a lot of marginal talent. Takes guys like Moss, McCabe, Oglesby and Bohannon and somehow still scores. I think this kid has the tools to be a scorer under Fran for sure. Especially if he was here for more than a year. I also think the no defense culture that started a few years ago is gone now, along with the culprits who started it. With the renewed focus on it combined with some players with quickness, I think defense will be the best we've seen in 4 years.

His highlights sure look good,but who knows. I have high expectations for CJ. So by default I have lower ones for Evelyn. I also think Fran is a way better coach than other people give him credit for. He wins at a pretty good level with a lot of marginal talent. Takes guys like Moss, McCabe, Oglesby and Bohannon and somehow still scores. I think this kid has the tools to be a scorer under Fran for sure. Especially if he was here for more than a year. I also think the no defense culture that started a few years ago is gone now, along with the culprits who started it. With the renewed focus on it combined with some players with quickness, I think defense will be the best we've seen in 4 years.
Moss and Cook were casual defenders, defense is a team effort, a team defensive upgrade is certainly possible. Does the Iowa coaching staff have the ability to teach top level defense and allot playing time based upon who is on board, and who isn't? Some NY defensive snark will be fun to see, perhaps.

Moss and Cook were casual defenders, defense is a team effort, a team defensive upgrade is certainly possible. Does the Iowa coaching staff have the ability to teach top level defense and allot playing time based upon who is on board, and who isn't? Some NY defensive snark will be fun to see, perhaps.

I think Fran is just as good at coaching defense as the next guy. The question is how much time he will put into it and like you said, will he hold players accountable.

I think Fran is just as good at coaching defense as the next guy. The question is how much time he will put into it and like you said, will he hold players accountable.
If Iowa could turn themselves into a signature defensive team, with the effort, recruiting, and philosophy to go with it, I believe their record would be better than the run and gun type play which needs the players Iowa tends not to get.

My expectation for Evelyn is to be a role player scoring option off the bench. If he comes in and gets a few buckets his minutes will increase on that particular night.

I think CJF is likely (I hope) a better player. I don’t see the need for much time at PG for Evelyn. He’s a career 1/1 assist guy. His tapes look like he had the flare for some nice passes, but I’m guessing he has some head scratching turnovers as well.

Nice to have another guard option on this team certainly, I just have a hard time creating extremely high expectations for a guy who put up the numbers he did at the mid major level.

I believe Evelyn's all around game will be better than Moss' and I think he'll be more consistent. I don't think he'll have those 1 every 10 game explosions like Moss would, but I don't think a 10-3-3 type average is too far fetched.

If Iowa could turn themselves into a signature defensive team, with the effort, recruiting, and philosophy to go with it, I believe their record would be better than the run and gun type play which needs the players Iowa tends not to get.

Maybe. I agree it's easier to win that way with the athletes Iowa attracts, but you can try to win that way and still end up sucking. Just ask Todd Lighter.

My expectation for Evelyn is to be a role player scoring option off the bench. If he comes in and gets a few buckets his minutes will increase on that particular night.

I think CJF is likely (I hope) a better player. I don’t see the need for much time at PG for Evelyn. He’s a career 1/1 assist guy. His tapes look like he had the flare for some nice passes, but I’m guessing he has some head scratching turnovers as well.

Nice to have another guard option on this team certainly, I just have a hard time creating extremely high expectations for a guy who put up the numbers he did at the mid major level.
He felt with a lot of injuries. If it wasnt for that I would agree. That gives us more hope that he's really a good player that can't catch a break.

Maybe. I agree it's easier to win that way with the athletes Iowa attracts, but you can try to win that way and still end up sucking. Just ask Todd Lighter.
You need some quickness and tenacity. I actually don't recall coach Licklighter's coaching or teams, disengaged for my mental health for several years. Plus, life is frustrating enough without self inducing it. The way it is now, it seems, is that under Iowa's current system it needs run and gun athletes who can shoot, and Iowa is competing with the top teams for these players. Iowa ends up fighting it out with Ball State, etc. for the second or third layer of the cream. I am thinking Iowa might be better next year.

I'm hopefully Evelyn will be the real deal, stay healthy, and start his last year. He probably will have to be pretty good to beat out Toussaint. Of course, McCaffery might end up starting.

My expectation is he's a back up that provides some needed guard depth. 10-15 minutes a game at most, I don't expect Iowa to rely on him to be much more than that and if he is it's a bonus.

He felt with a lot of injuries. If it wasnt for that I would agree. That gives us more hope that he's really a good player that can't catch a break.
I have no idea what injuries he had, but I was under the impression that those were last season, not his sophomore season.

If you look at his numbers his sophomore year, they indicate a solid mid major player, but I wouldn't say a really good player. 2.8 turnovers per game is far from ideal. Typically you would expect numbers to fall a bit coming from mid major level to the B1G.

I did like some of the skills I saw on he highlight tape so hopefully that’s the type of guy we get, but I’m pretty tempered with my expectations at this point as you can tell.

I'm hopefully Evelyn will be the real deal, stay healthy, and start his last year. He probably will have to be pretty good to beat out Toussaint. Of course, McCaffery might end up starting.
Fran can call him a PG until he’s blue (or red) in the face, but that doesn’t make it necessarily true (see Christian Williams, Maishe Dailey, Brady Ellingson).

If you look at his numbers at Valpo they indicate a score first player, he’s been basically a 1/1 assist to turnover guy. Neither of those are typically indicators of a PG.

With two PGs that are expected to play in Connor and Toussaint I think Evelyn’s minutes would likely come at the 2 spot, but I guess it remains to be seen. Heck what if JBo is ready to go at the start of the season. Lots of questions at this point that will be interesting to follow.

I have no idea what injuries he had, but I was under the impression that those were last season, not his sophomore season.

If you look at his numbers his sophomore year, they indicate a solid mid major player, but I wouldn't say a really good player. 2.8 turnovers per game is far from ideal. Typically you would expect numbers to fall a bit coming from mid major level to the B1G.

I did like some of the skills I saw on he highlight tape so hopefully that’s the type of guy we get, but I’m pretty tempered with my expectations at this point as you can tell.

He's 2 years older than his sophomore year too. Not saying it's for sure going to happen or anything, but if he's healthy now, he plays like he did as a sophomore when he is healthy, and he's improved an average amount over two years, he could equal his production in the Big 10.

It's hard for me not to think "Dale Jones" with BE, but with the depleted back court I think his opportunity will be much greater to make an impact.

My expectation is that he just be a solid guard. He doesn't have to set the B1G on fir. Bring the ball up the floor without turnovers, make some shots but he doesn't have to average 10 ppg, play solid D, and basically not hurt the team but help in a positive way.

Anything beyond that is a bonus.

He won’t even be a starter. He wasn’t a sought after grad transfer either with Iowa being his best opportunity. A grad transfer who won’t be a starter is not typical. I expect 10 minutes a game and around 5 ppg and 2 apg. Then again, I don’t have high expectations for Iowa basketball under Fran any longer either.

He won’t even be a starter. He wasn’t a sought after grad transfer either with Iowa being his best opportunity. A grad transfer who won’t be a starter is not typical. I expect 10 minutes a game and around 5 ppg and 2 apg. Then again, I don’t have high expectations for Iowa basketball under Fran any longer either.
Iowa’s situation was a little unique given the uncertainty of Bohannon’s health, so it made sense to look at Evelyn for some depth. The coaching staff was familiar with him.

Best case scenario if Bohannon is out is Touissaint and CJF are our two best guards and demand playing time and Connor and Evelyn provide some spot minutes.

I guess the concern would be team morale if Evelyn is not getting the minutes he desired and became an issue in the locker room.

One other thing I would add is that Evelyn does appear to bring some quickness and penetration ability that we have lacked.

Iowa’s situation was a little unique given the uncertainty of Bohannon’s health, so it made sense to look at Evelyn for some depth. The coaching staff was familiar with him.

Best case scenario if Bohannon is out is Touissaint and CJF are our two best guards and demand playing time and Connor and Evelyn provide some spot minutes.

I guess the concern would be team morale if Evelyn is not getting the minutes he desired and became an issue in the locker room.

One other thing I would add is that Evelyn does appear to bring some quickness and penetration ability that we have lacked.

I think you're spot on here. Evelyn is the Bohannon insurance policy, but I think Fran is fairly comfortable with his guard situation otherwise. Between Touissaint, CJF, Connor, and Wieskamp, we're probably going to fine but thin and inexperienced. Evelyn adds a veteran presence, an extra body, and likely all the minutes he can earn.

Even if he doesn't have a return to form, I would expect him to get 15-20 minutes per game at minimum based on his experience and ball handling split between the point and the 2.

My realistic expectations for him are 7 points, 3 assists, 2 turnovers, and a steal in 20 minutes per game on 40% shooting and 33% from 3. We'll probably have a great year if he averages 10+ points and limits his turnovers. I'd also be thrilled to see Connor or Toussaint lock down the PG position, because I right now, I think the job is Evelyn's to lose with Bohannon out.