ESPN's Gruden's QB Camp - Newton

Husky28

Was interesting to see how Auburn called their plays and such from the sideline. Almost sounded like the offense was geared to take the major decision making away from Cam (audibles and such)... at least that was my take. Maybe somebody saw it diferently? Really made me wonder if he has the mental make-up to handle the NFL... maybe it was more due to only one season in D-1 vs. his true abilities?

Locker looked very good, he'll (as Gruden stated) have to quit taking on the other teams safeties or he won't last very long...

Very impressed with Mallet's skills during the camp.

I don't think it was anything specific for Newton, a lot of colleges do this. They did it at ISU too. Everybody hurries to get lined up and then they all look over to the sideline. But that certainly doesn't help someone get ready for NFL playcalling though. So the question is not "has Newton done this?" but rather "can he learn to do this?" I believe the answer to both of those is a pretty big no, but we will see.

Was interesting to see how Auburn called their plays and such from the sideline. Almost sounded like the offense was geared to take the major decision making away from Cam (audibles and such)... at least that was my take. Maybe somebody saw it diferently? Really made me wonder if he has the mental make-up to handle the NFL... maybe it was more due to only one season in D-1 vs. his true abilities?

Locker looked very good, he'll (as Gruden stated) have to quit taking on the other teams safeties or he won't last very long...

Very impressed with Mallet's skills during the camp.

I watched the show. Definitely interesting. While it was sometimes cringeworthy to watch Newton struggle with identifying what verbiage they used, I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. The thing with Auburn's offense (Malzahn's offense) is that on any given play, there are a number of different run/pass options off of the same play. That way, there is no need for audibles. For instance, one of their favorite plays is an inside zone read option with a bubble screen to the backside of the play. That way if the backside pursuit takes away the possibility of the option, the quarterback can make the appropriate read and hit the screen. Really great offense that does require the quarterback to make multiple decisions on each play.

It's also interesting to note what Bill Walsh said in his Finding the Winning Edge book back in 1997. He basically said that eventually, the NFL will get rid of unnecessary long verbiage in their play calls and go to something like what Malzahn (and many others) do now.

Newton is such a lightening rod for controversy, but I don't doubt his desire to win. I have a close friend that lives in Auburn and he said that Cam would go to the bars during the week and tell his teammates that "You need to get out of here. We have a national championship to win." My buddy told me this during the 2nd or 3rd week of this past season, and I just laughed at him, thinking there was no way that Auburn was going to win a NC. Turns out, Cam got it done.

Cam seemed like a complete idiot to me. He gives off a shady vibe and his attempts to be confident and give strong answers made him sound like a d*ck.

Cam seemed like a complete idiot to me. He gives off a shady vibe and his attempts to be confident and give strong answers made him sound like a d*ck.

And yet, dude is still going to go No. 1 overall and get PAID.

Seems to be working fine for him.

I watched the show. Definitely interesting. While it was sometimes cringeworthy to watch Newton struggle with identifying what verbiage they used, I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. The thing with Auburn's offense (Malzahn's offense) is that on any given play, there are a number of different run/pass options off of the same play. That way, there is no need for audibles. For instance, one of their favorite plays is an inside zone read option with a bubble screen to the backside of the play. That way if the backside pursuit takes away the possibility of the option, the quarterback can make the appropriate read and hit the screen. Really great offense that does require the quarterback to make multiple decisions on each play.

It's also interesting to note what Bill Walsh said in his Finding the Winning Edge book back in 1997. He basically said that eventually, the NFL will get rid of unnecessary long verbiage in their play calls and go to something like what Malzahn (and many others) do now.

Newton is such a lightening rod for controversy, but I don't doubt his desire to win. I have a close friend that lives in Auburn and he said that Cam would go to the bars during the week and tell his teammates that "You need to get out of here. We have a national championship to win." My buddy told me this during the 2nd or 3rd week of this past season, and I just laughed at him, thinking there was no way that Auburn was going to win a NC. Turns out, Cam got it done.

How's that working out for him? 14 years later, still hasn't gone away and not even close.

Well, Walsh is dead, for one. Also, if you are going to argue that he didn't know what he was talking about when it comes to football, you sir are a fool. To say it's not even close is also wrong. In the past few years, The Steelers have implemented the no-huddle into their regular offense and they're going to be doing more of it this year from the sounds of things. They seem to be a pretty good football team...

Well, Walsh is dead, for one. Also, if you are going to argue that he didn't know what he was talking about when it comes to football, you sir are a fool. To say it's not even close is also wrong. In the past few years, The Steelers have implemented the no-huddle into their regular offense and they're going to be doing more of it this year from the sounds of things. They seem to be a pretty good football team...

The Bills ran a lot of no huddle way before 1997 too, that doesn't mean anything.

If you are saying that teams will always find a way to mix things up then sure, but is it you or Walsh that chose to use the word "unnecessary" because the calls are certainly necessary. It allows for many different interchangable parts so that an offense can mix and match routes and blocking schemes and the calls can speak to every one of the 11 players on the field differently.

I can't wait for the Tebow-Newton rivalry to start. I think within five years, they will be two of the best backup tight ends in all of the NFL.

What alot of the pro teams should know by now is that qbs in college that come from spread O's very often have no idea how to read D coverage. Saw something on it a couple years ago. It is the reason so many fail.

A number of teams will not draft a spread college QB in first couple rounds because it is the hardest thing to do and many qbs never get it at the pro level. So if you take a spred qb in the draft he has no history or backround to base the decision if he can read D coverage.

The Bills ran a lot of no huddle way before 1997 too, that doesn't mean anything.

If you are saying that teams will always find a way to mix things up then sure, but is it you or Walsh that chose to use the word "unnecessary" because the calls are certainly necessary. It allows for many different interchangable parts so that an offense can mix and match routes and blocking schemes and the calls can speak to every one of the 11 players on the field differently.

You're making my point for me. You say these calls are "certainly necessary," but then point to the Bills (who like the Steelers) ran/run an occasional no-huddle. Therefore, these long calls are not always necessary. Otherwise, there is no way that a no-huddle could function efficiently.

I'm not saying that we'll see a day when the huddle or these calls go away completely. I'm just saying that, situationally at least, they are not always necessary. There will always be the need for protection schemes and hot routes, etc. BUT, there does exist the possibility for some simplification.

What alot of the pro teams should know by now is that qbs in college that come from spread O's very often have no idea how to read D coverage. Saw something on it a couple years ago. It is the reason so many fail.

A number of teams will not draft a spread college QB in first couple rounds because it is the hardest thing to do and many qbs never get it at the pro level. So if you take a spred qb in the draft he has no history or backround to base the decision if he can read D coverage.

You can't lump all spread offenses together and say that their QBs can't read coverages. Some people consider Oklahoma a spread, but Bradford was capable enough to win ROY last year. Just watch all the QBs taken in the first round or early second this year, and you'll see Newton, Gabbert, Kaepernick, and Dalton taken. All ran some derivation of a spread, so to say that a number of teams won't draft a spread QB is wrong. They're going to this weekend. Plus, if the NFL has the best coaches in the world (which they should) don't you think that they should be able to teach a kid how to take a five step drop and read coverages?

I've heard a lot of people say that Auburn had a one-read passing system, but that is just flat out wrong. Was it as complicated as a pro-scheme? No, but there's no college offense that is. Malzahn's offense is predicated on progression reads, going from 1st receiver to 2nd and so on. On some plays, there is a single read, like keying one CB and having that determine the route, but the NFL does the same thing.

The difference in college and NFL reads is one extra step. Most college QBs can go through a progression read. Most can also go through a progression with coverage keys. The next thing is almost strictly NFL stuff, with an advanced coverage read so that the QB knows the defense is doing one thing, then he manipulates coverage, understanding the defensive technique, then goes where he wants. Very few college QBs can do that. They have to be taught it or study enough film to understand both their offense and the other defense inside and out.

Some college QBs can master the progression with coverage keys. I'm not sure Newton mastered it like someone like Mallett, but that's what coaches and film study are for.

It will work fine for about 2 more years until everyone realized he won't amount to sh$t in the NFL.

Yeah and in those two years he still would make more money than you ever could by sitting on your *** at your computer hoping he fails.

Yeah and in those two years he still would make more money than you ever could by sitting on your *** at your computer hoping he fails.

Wow I completely didn't realize that? I had no idea that nfl players make millions! OMG why didn't I just try to be an NFL star?

Obviously he is going to make more than I will in my life, it still won't make your heart feel any better when he breaks it like he will when he is a BUST!! Congrats on being a do*che.

Well at least the new NFL CBA will have some kind of rookie salary scale that won't kill teams like what happened with Detroit with Smith, SD with Leaf, Oakland with Jamarcus, and Tennessee with Young. Because Cam is next in line.

Well at least the new NFL CBA will have some kind of rookie salary scale that won't kill teams like what happened with Detroit with Smith, SD with Leaf, Oakland with Jamarcus, and Tennessee with Young. Because Cam is next in line.

Be careful with that stuff! Your career salary may be ripped on by guys who boast about what others make!

Here is the reason why Cam wont succeed in the NFL. Its a league where every team has people who work around the clock, all year long, trying to figure out how to beat you. Its a league where great athletes WORK HARD to be the best.
Its a team game but lazy individuals that dont want to work hard, dont last long.
Lets look at Cam's resume, as an individual.
Stolen lap tops.
Cheating on college course work
selling himself to the highest bidder.
Lies about selling himself to the highest bidder.
All of this looks like a guy that takes short cuts. A guy that doesnt have a sense of personal responsibility.
These guys dont last in the NFL. ESPECIALLY at QB.
Gruden knew exactly what to ask him, to expose him. "call a play for me?" "Give me a complicated play that you would call in the Auburn huddle"
Now, Gruden knew damn well what type of play calls Auburn used, with the big # cards. He knows Cam is an epic fail, waiting to happen.

Latest posts