ESPN to show high school games on LHN

The Big XII AD meeting should be interesting. It is clear that Larry Scott of the PAC12 wants to get teams from the central time zone. It wouldn't surprise me that Kansas and Oklahoma are two of his targets.

Okay, so basically the LHN can choose which high school games they want to air, meaning if they're going after Tommy 5 star Jones they can put his high school game on their network as a little incentive. This should fall under some sort of recruiting violation.

ISU and Baylor are going to be left without chairs when the music stops.

I could see the Big East expanding to 12 schools for football by adding three more Texas schools (they would probably have to have football only members if they did this), so that could give Baylor a place to call home. I have no idea where ISU ends up if the PAC and SEC both go to 16. They could fall hard.

Okay, so basically the LHN can choose which high school games they want to air, meaning if they're going after Tommy 5 star Jones they can put his high school game on their network as a little incentive. This should fall under some sort of recruiting violation.

Thought the exact same thing. By a university having their own network airing high school games how does that create a level playing field for recruiting. Especially for other programs in that state, not to mention within the same conference.

Thought the exact same thing. By a university having their own network airing high school games how does that create a level playing field for recruiting. Especially for other programs in that state, not to mention within the same conference.

Newsflash....Texas already gets most of the 5-star recruits out of Texas anyways. I don't see how this will affect recruiting that much or as much as some people on here think it will. Now, if they start televising other high school games outside of Texas then that is whole different ball of wax.

Newsflash....Texas already gets most of the 5-star recruits out of Texas anyways. I don't see how this will affect recruiting that much or as much as some people on here think it will. Now, if they start televising other high school games outside of Texas then that is whole different ball of wax.

I understand what you're saying. Think of it in terms of Iowa, if Iowa had a Hawkeye Network. It would be like good high school players from the state of Iowa that are deciding between Iowa, ISU, UNI, Coe, etc. A Hawkeye Network that shows their HS games probably wouldn't really make a difference for them, because they would probably want to go to Iowa anyway. It might even help ISU, UNI, Coe, etc., find some other talented players in the state.

That's the argument Texas is making.

I understand what you're saying. Think of it in terms of Iowa, if Iowa had a Hawkeye Network. It would be like good high school players from the state of Iowa that are deciding between Iowa, ISU, UNI, Coe, etc. A Hawkeye Network that shows their HS games probably wouldn't really make a difference for them, because they would probably want to go to Iowa anyway. It might even help ISU, UNI, Coe, etc., find some other talented players in the state.

That's the argument Texas is making.

Agreed.

But if UT is making the arguement that HS games on LHN doesn't give them a competative advantage then what is UT saying their motivation is for putting HS games on LHN in the first place?

Definitely see what your saying but, newsflash I'm sure Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, and other Texas schools might disagree.

I mean you seriously don't see that being an issue if a recruit has narrowed his choices down to Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech, hasn't picked a favorite, and suddenly get's the opportunity to watch most his games on LHN. You don't see that as a competitive advantage?

Last edited:
Definitely see what your saying but, newsflash I'm sure Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, and other Texas schools might disagree.

I mean you seriously don't see that being an issue if a recruit has narrowed his choices down to Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech, hasn't picked a favorite, and suddenly get's the opportunity to watch most his games on LHN. You don't see that as a competitive advantage?

Nope. Every single recruit they got last year was from Texas except for ONE - and he was from Oklahoma. Texas can get any kid they want from their state as it stands now. If they offer a TX kid and that kid turns them down there is probably a reason. So you're saying that these kids that turn them down are all of a sudden going to choose TX because their HS games are on the LH channel??? Um, don't think so. Maybe TX is hoping that, but those kids aren't going to be swayed by a tv network because their games are being shown...I'm just not seeing it.

Nope. Every single recruit they got last year was from Texas except for ONE - and he was from Oklahoma. Texas can get any kid they want from their state as it stands now. If they offer a TX kid and that kid turns them down there is probably a reason. So you're saying that these kids that turn them down are all of a sudden going to choose TX because their HS games are on the LH channel??? Um, don't think so. Maybe TX is hoping that, but those kids aren't going to be swayed by a tv network because their games are being shown...I'm just not seeing it.

I agree with you on the fact that every single recruit they got was from Texas (minus one) last year. What I'm saying is that although they get mostly who they want the fact remains that there may be highly recruited players from Texas that chose to go else where who may not necessarily do so down the road because of the desire for the LHN to air highschool games in the future.

As a freshman, IMO having my games aired and broadcasted on any network would be a huge deal to me. It is also, my opinion, other universities aren't fortunate enough to benefit from that. It's one thing to be a highschool and have your games aired on ESPN to a nationwide audience because ESPN isn't affiliated to one particular school, however when the LHN begins airing games you can't tell me that doesn't spotlight the Longhorns as much as it does the highschool programs they are airing and to me that creates an unfair advantage in the recruiting game that benefits no one but the University of Texas, which is why I rightfully think the other schools in Texas have every right to complain.

Nebraska lists 23 players from Texas. I would think that their recruiting is going to be hurt badly now that they are playing no games in Texas or against Texas teams during the season.

I agree with you on the fact that every single recruit they got was from Texas (minus one) last year. What I'm saying is that although they get mostly who they want the fact remains that there may be highly recruited players from Texas that chose to go else where who may not necessarily do so down the road because of the desire for the LHN to air highschool games in the future.

As a freshman, IMO having my games aired and broadcasted on any network would be a huge deal to me. It is also, my opinion, other universities aren't fortunate enough to benefit from that. It's one thing to be a highschool and have your games aired on ESPN to a nationwide audience because ESPN isn't affiliated to one particular school, however when the LHN begins airing games you can't tell me that doesn't spotlight the Longhorns as much as it does the highschool programs they are airing and to me that creates an unfair advantage in the recruiting game that benefits no one but the University of Texas, which is why I rightfully think the other schools in Texas have every right to complain.

This is where we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think TX loses that many in-state kids that they offer. I think the majority of the kids they miss out on are out of staters.

17-18 year old kids can be pretty impressionable and agreeing to commit to Texas so they can have their high school games televised is a major incentive. Big headed teenagers aren't against feeding their ego. Not all kids are this way, but some kids are going to eat it up. You think some kid would't like the thought of having some of his high school games on DVD/DVR with ESPN caliber broadcast production?

Texas over the last few years has only gotten 1 or 2 5-star recruits each class...mainly because they hardly exist. 5-stars are rare. But what happens when they start to use televised highschool games to go after 5-star kids in other regions? To hell with a couple 5 star Texas kids...they could get a couple from each region, and just fill out the class with 4 star Texas kids. The thought of that doesn't bother anyone that it might end up being some drastic recruiting edge?

Onto the point about how Nebraska's Texas pipeline will dry up now that they've left the B12. There's really only 3 major players in Texas, and only so many scholarships to go around each year.
Teams recruit where they have ties. Nebraska might not get the absolute top Texas recruits, but if the Pelini's have good relationships with the coaches there, they will still get their share of Texas good Texas kids.

Iowa State in the last 2 classes has brought in about a dozen Florida kids. None are JUCOs, and ISU never plays down there. ISU has some major recruiting ties to the area because Wally Burnham is a known commodity in the Florida with the HS coaches for the last 25 years. ISU snagged a couple recruits in part because Burnham used to coach their dads. Recruiting is not as cut and dried as some make it out to be. ISU also pulled out a couple of the Florida top 150 players in the last class. Those aren't leftover type Florida recruits either. Chalk it up to the Burnhams.

Chizik was even pulling kids out of Florida as well. His old SEC stomping grounds got ISU around a dozen players in a short time. ISU ended up with over 25 florida kids in about 4 classes

Somehow Iowa was in on recruiting Texas kids Michael Crabtree and Dez Bryant according to what ive read. Iowa never plays in Texas other than the occasional bowl game every 5 years or so.

Latest posts