ESPN College Basketball Power Index has Iowa at # 25

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

BPI is a measure of team strenght and a predictor of performacnece going forward.
It represents how many points above or below average a team is. It takes into account Strength of Record [sor], opponents strenght, pace of play, game site, travel distance, days of rest and altitiude.
Often times teams fail to life up to what is expected of them. Ranking Iow in the top 25 shows great expectations from thmem. Here's the top 50:
1. KU
2. N. Car.
3. Virginia
4. Gonzaga
5. Tennessee
6. 'Nova
7. SYRACUSE
8. WISCONSIN
9. Kentucky
10. Marquette
11. Duke
12. Baylor
13. W. Vir.
14. Florida
15. Nevada
16. MICH. ST
17. Kansas St.
18. Clemson
19. Vir. Tech.
20. Auburn
21. Florida St.
22. Houston
23. W. Kentucky
24. NORTHWESTERN
25. IOWA

26. Alabama
27. Butler
28. Miss. St.
29. INDIANA
30. Texas
31. N.C. St.
32 St. John's
33. IOWA ST.
34. Miami
35. Tx. Tech.
36. PURDUE
37. OHIO ST.
38. Cincy
40. Okla.
41. BYU
42. MICHIGAN
43. TCU
44. Temple
45. Creighton
46. Buffalo
47. MARYLAND
48. Ariz. ST.
49. PENN. ST.
50. Louisville

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

I've spent a liftime ripping on ESPNs BPI rankings so I can't get too excited about this....but I guess it's good to seem something positive

Jerry Palm mentioned Iowa as a team that could vie for a spot yesterday but he had Iowa out to start the year. Hey, he didn't have to mention us. :) - I am excited to watch Hoops tonight - gonna catch the Nebraska game and the Creighton game tonight hopefully

I've spent a liftime ripping on ESPNs BPI rankings so I can't get too excited about this....but I guess it's good to seem something positive
Yeah. I won't even engage in conversation regarding anything ESecPN concocts. The BPI is short bus special. And I'm not saying this as it relates to how I feel about our basketball team this year. ESecPN concocted the BPI to attempt to influence opinions on rankings. That's it and that's all.

Yeah. I won't even engage in conversation regarding anything ESecPN concocts. The BPI is short bus special. And I'm not saying this as it relates to how I feel about our basketball team this year. ESecPN concocted the BPI to attempt to influence opinions on rankings. That's it and that's all.

Nevertheless, Syracuse scares me!

Jerry Palm mentioned Iowa as a team that could vie for a spot yesterday but he had Iowa out to start the year. Hey, he didn't have to mention us. :) - I am excited to watch Hoops tonight - gonna catch the Nebraska game and the Creighton game tonight hopefully

Gottleib mentions K. St. as a sleeper- returns all 5 starters

There is no way that they should have the mildcats ahead of Iowa. Iowa destroyed them, returns most of the roster, and adds the best freshman on the conference.

Dick Vitale is still doing color analyst work. ESPN has to find a gentle way to keep him in the studio full time.
Here's how it will end for Dicky V.

"That was AWESOME BA....."

(thud)

(head hits table)

Coach K fails in his midgame efforts to revive him.

Dean Smith started a Carolina tradition where each senior on his team gets to play close to home.

When they had Marcus Paige several years ago that would explain why they played at UNI.

Forgot about that.....makes total sense.

Got a chuckle out of this:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401082393

ESPN BPI currently has Iowa with a 60% chance to beat Oregon next week...the 14th ranked team in the country.

BPI loves Iowa for some reason. 65% chance to beat Iowa State. 93% chance to beat Pitt. 30% chance to win on the road at Larry Nassar University. 73% chance to win at home vs nebraska. This might be the first time in history that ESPN likes Iowa's chances more than I do

Got a chuckle out of this:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401082393

ESPN BPI currently has Iowa with a 60% chance to beat Oregon next week...the 14th ranked team in the country.

BPI loves Iowa for some reason. 65% chance to beat Iowa State. 93% chance to beat Pitt. 30% chance to win on the road at Larry Nassar University. 73% chance to win at home vs nebraska. This might be the first time in history that ESPN likes Iowa's chances more than I do
The only thing in our favor is that Oregon has to travel farther. We turned the ball over 16 times against UMKC. If Oregon plays in your face D, we'll lose by 20+ points.

The only thing in our favor is that Oregon has to travel farther. We turned the ball over 16 times against UMKC. If Oregon plays in your face D, we'll lose by 20+ points.

I just dont see a solution for Payton Pritchard and Bol Bol. A dynamic guard and a 7'2" monster in the post...basically our kryptonite. Like always we'll just have to score 100 points.

Oregon's got one of the better teams money can buy. Literally.