Eric May playing time

ICHAWK

Could it be possible that Eric may only gets to play like 8 minutes per game next year.

Can you see him being happy playing that role his junior and senior year?

Iowa is gaining 2 players for sure Ogelsby and White that are Fran recruits who Fran is pretty high on. These two players play the 2 and 3 which are positions May plays. May has had his minutes limited as of late and I don't see it getting any better.

I think he has been pushed to the bench some with Marble and McCabe getting more minutes, and next year will not be better and May will not get to play as much in the preseason as he did this year.

Could it be possible that Eric may only gets to play like 8 minutes per game next year.

Can you see him being happy playing that role his junior and senior year?

Iowa is gaining 2 players for sure Ogelsby and White that are Fran recruits who Fran is pretty high on. These two players play the 2 and 3 which are positions May plays. May has had his minutes limited as of late and I don't see it getting any better.

I think he has been pushed to the bench some with Marble and McCabe getting more minutes, and next year will not be better and May will not get to play as much in the preseason as he did this year.

Maybe May will improve and earn more time next year....

One thing I remember from a while back that Fran said:

When Matt was struggling early it, was a function of his thumb but he couldn’t make a shot. Okay. What can I do to help you? We run more sets for you, we run more motion. We can use you more as a back picker. We can post you up more. There’s any number of things we can try to do and feel like we are working through this thing together, rather than I’m yelling at him and he’s got to get it figured out, or else I’m going to replace him in the lineup.
I don’t think that helps at all. Eric May was really struggling before the Minnesota game. I think he was worried I’m going to yank him out of the starting lineup. I said, look, I’m sticking with you, you’re my guy, stay in there, just keep fighting, and he has a great game and then turns around and has another stinker. So now he’s got to figure out, okay, what do I have to make sure I have more of those kinds of games that I had against Xavier and Minnesota versus Ohio State.

Well, now May has been yanked from the starting lineup. I think it's absolutely the right call for the team, but I do wonder what it does to his psyche. I like May...I thought he'd tear it up this year. It's kind of a mystery as to why he hasn't.

He should quit BB and go out for the Iowa football team. I'm serious - he would be an absolutely amazing tight end.

He picked the wrong sport, at least at this level. My feeling is that he is not tall enough to play on the front line, and lacks the quickness and ball skills to play guard in the big Ten.

But he is powerfully strong and explosive; he has a football player's build and can run. Football should have been his game.

I really don't see him starting next year, unless his ball skills and shooting improve dramatically

Last edited:
He should quit BB and go out for the Iowa football team. I'm serious - he would be an absolutely amazing tight end.

He picked the wrong sport, at least at this level.

I would've freaked out at the beginning of the year at a post like this.... now, I'm about ready to send an email to Kirk to suggest it lol

I sincerely believe that he would be one of Iowa's greatest tight ends and would have a long career in the NFL.

He was a great football player in high school.

Ferentz wanted him very much.

It is an absolute mystery to me why he picked BB. Perhaps this season will change his mind -- I really don't think he fits into Fran's long-range plan, but we'll see. For example, Marble, as raw as he is, has more basketball quickness and is more aggressive in finding his shot and trying to score. May just looks lost out there, by comparison.

I think were pretty set on TE's.

But if May is getting anymore than 8 minutes a game we are in trouble. He should just be an energy guy/defensive stopper off the bench

May should join the football team, take a RS year this season, and have two years to play. I don't see him as a TE, but as a slot receiver or a DB. He has tremendous athletic skills that Ferentz and staff could exploit. I, too, am surpised at Eric's failure on the B-ball court, but if he'd switch to FB he'd be doing himself and the Hawkeyes a tremendous favor. He would have a great shot at the NFL and he'd open a scholarship for Fran. Win-win. Somebody at Iowa needs to point this out to Eric.

Eric was very clear when he chose basketball that he wouldn't miss football practice. You think someone like that would make it in Ferentz's system? Sorry guys, but Iowa has seen guys with mad raw talent in football fall by the wayside. It isn't basketball, where most kids can jump straight from high school to playing good minutes. You have to work your *** off!

You can't teach a kid's heart into it.

You really have to wonder if he will be the player people hope he is or becomes. Not a lot of fire on game day, not sure otherwise. When the team plays fast and furious, he seems to excel. Getting 65 points a game is not up tempo and he is not a half court player, at least now.

He picked the wrong sport, at least at this level. My feeling is that he is not tall enough to play on the front line, and lacks the quickness and ball skills to play guard in the big Ten.

But he is powerfully strong and explosive; he has a football player's build and can run. Football should have been his game.

2 Questions:
What is powerfully strong?
How can you be explosive and able to run but lack quickness?

Eric May is a great kid who does not have Big Ten BB ability, He should transfer to UNI or Drake and score 25 points against the Hawks next season, you just know that it would happen, but in all honesty he has MVC talent. Fran is learning that it takes really good talent to win in this league.

I sincerely believe that he would be one of Iowa's greatest tight ends and would have a long career in the NFL.

He was a great football player in high school.

Ferentz wanted him very much.

It is an absolute mystery to me why he picked BB. Perhaps this season will change his mind -- I really don't think he fits into Fran's long-range plan, but we'll see. For example, Marble, as raw as he is, has more basketball quickness and is more aggressive in finding his shot and trying to score. May just looks lost out there, by comparison.

He did not have a scholarship offered by Iowa to play football. He did not have the D1 offers for football that he had for basketball.

May was the one returning player that I thought was a lock to flourish in Fran's uptempo style of play. I'm stumped as to why he hasn't, but I still think he can. Obviously his ball skills and quickness need improvement in the off season. But the kid can shoot and he has the athletic ability to put someone on a poster every time he touch's the ball. The people that think he's not D-1 talent are crazy. I'm an average basketball fan and I can tell that he is.

All I can come up with is that he's not understanding what Fran's expecting out of him and it's affecting his confidence immensely. Either that or he's just flat out lazy. Time will tell, but I seriously think the kid can be a superstar in the Big Ten. Hopefully he gets it next year.

Eric is fast, but not particularly quick. Also, he is not a good ball handler.

That being said, I pulled a groin muscle at one point and it took three months of resting it to really heal. I could still play, but I had no pop.

Eric is fast, but not particularly quick. Also, he is not a good ball handler.

That being said, I pulled a groin muscle at one point and it took three months of resting it to really heal. I could still play, but I had no pop.

He is a horrible ball handler. This is his biggest weakness IMO and leads to turnovers and is the main reason he can't get shots off. His line from last night: 19 min, 4pts, 2 TOs, 1 Reb, 2 Assist, 2 fouls. More turnovers than field goals made.

Does anyone remember Jason Bauer from Hudson? From what I remember May is much more atheletic but not as well rounded of a total player.

During the Mr. Davis Era May would have been a gray teamer that could help out the team from time to time as a hustler/defensive stopper.

Latest posts