$EC at it again...................

hoffahawk

UNF'ing real.

One of the Deep South's top-rated defensive lineman has transferred to Foley High, but not without sparking controversy. Darius Paige -- a 6-foot-3, 275-pound Alabama commitment who previously played at Washington High in Pensacola -- completed his transfer to Foley on Tuesday and watched the Lions' evening practice.

Washington High assistant coach George Schellang accused Alabama assistant coach Jeremy Pruitt of steering Paige to transfer to Foley, according to the Pensacola News-Journal.

"Darius came in the office one day during the summer after (former head) coach (Mike) Smith left and sat down and told me coach Pruitt, who is the Alabama coach who was recruiting him, wanted him to go to Foley High School," Schellang told the Pensacola News-Journal. "Basically, he said (Foley High) could take care of him academically.

"My reaction was shock and dismay that a Division I coach would tell a high school athlete that he needed to transfer, that they had people there to help."

Watson said the accusation "insinuated that we just give away grades, (and) that's obviously not the case." He strongly denied that Foley acted improperly.

edit: Also this-

Schellang told the Pensacola newspaper that Washington officials reported the transfer to the NCAA, but it appears there is no NCAA rule prohibiting a college coach from recommending that a prospect switch high schools.

Alabama commitment Darius Paige's transfer comes with controversy (updated) | al.com

Last edited:
Auburn Academy. It's been going on for year's down there.

It is legal, and sometimes I just need to take a step back, and tell myself that some education for these recruits, most likely is better than the alternative.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I'm happier if I delude myself that it is.

Well, all the SEC has to say is ,o yeah, The Big10 has PedO U.. PSU is tarnishing our reputation. So the SEC cheats,doesn't hold a candle to what PSU did.

We have psu in the BIG....the BIG can no longer claim moral high ground to SEC.....cheating in sports<what psu did

I know a mother of four SEC scholarship athletes. She hates the SEC now for what it did with respect to denying her kids the ability to get a sound education. The stories she tells are horrendous.

Sure the B1G has PSU, who hurt many young boys, but the SEC has damaged far, far more young men with the promise of a quality education and then the reality of what they actually get.

Yes. Apples and Oranges. Perception about an entire conference, and factual data about another.

Well, all the SEC has to say is ,o yeah, The Big10 has PedO U.. PSU is tarnishing our reputation. So the SEC cheats,doesn't hold a candle to what PSU did.

NCAA: hey, we caught you cheating!

SEC school: yeah, well that's not as bad as enabling a pedophile.

NCAA: oh, you're right. sorry to have bothered you.

And the SEC, unfortunately, would be correct.

No, no it wouldn't. What happened at Penn State has nothing to do with Iowa ... or Wisconsin, or Nebraska or Minnesota or Ohio State, etc.

Unfortunately, the entire reputation of Penn State University has been desecrated because of a small group of people. That situation should be deemed by the public as "what Jerry Sandusky did" not "what Penn State did."

Either way, back on topic, far too many people are naive enough to believe that the success of teams in the SEC isn't fueled largely by breaking a number of rules, and straddling the line on others. Most of the teams in the SEC are a bunch of cheaters. Really can't convince me otherwise.

It may be legal to recommend that they switch high schools to qualify academically, but what is that saying about what goes on at the universities. These kids can't qualify academically for college without help, but then magically they are able to pass college courses with the work of a college athlete as well. Asking them to switch high schools may be legal, but what is going on at that incoming high school that the kid is able to pass. Great tutors?

Schellang told the Pensacola newspaper that Washington officials reported the transfer to the NCAA, but it appears there is no NCAA rule prohibiting a college coach from recommending that a prospect switch high schools.

Everyone, especially college coaches, likes to complain that the NCAA rule book is too long and complicated. But crap like this is exactly why it has to be so long. If you don't have a rule that explicitly states something can't be done, you'd better believe there's a coach out there who will do it.

Latest posts