Duffman's official exhibiton breakdown

DuffMan

Before we start I'd like to point out Deace is lying about his record picking college football games. Now that that's out of the way I'll get to it.

Darius Stokes is very skinny.

Cartwright is very quick, shows good ball handling, and gets to and finishes at the rim. We are no longer going to struggle just getting the ball up the court. It has probably been since Dean Oliver that we have had this type of dribble drive threat from the PG position.

Cully looked completely in control today. He made and finished some nice LH drives, made several nice passes, and overall had a very nice game. He’s going to benefit tremendously from having a legitimate backup PG to give him a breather at the end of games. I think this alone helps him improve his FT% 10 points over last year. It’s hard making FT when your legs are dead *** tired all the time.

Basabe rhymes with Wasabi, not “Bass a bee”. He’s very boingy. He’s going to block shots, he’s going to get to the line, and he’s going to score. I didn’t see much of a perimeter game but he’s got great hands and he finds a way to get garbage buckets. He’s also skilled with one dribble moves around the bucket, and finishes strong (dunks a lot).

Archie is still a bit raw. That said he has a legitimate B10 banger body and if he gets the ball in good position he’s capable of going straight up strong or basic back to the basket post moves. His FT shooting needs some work. Everything said and done if he can play solid minutes defensively and rebound well he will be a solid contributor to this team.

Marble has a very nice array of skills. He didn’t shoot it particularly well today but he had a solid floor game. Slinky around the bucket he had enough length to finish around the rim today though he might struggle to do so at the B10 level. He needs to get stronger and will likely get manhandled a bit this year but he clearly knows how to play the game and I think he’s smart enough to figure out how to be effective. Physically his body type is very similar to Reggie Miller.

Cole looked like Cole, he did hit a nice pull up jumper from 12 today, and he rebounded when in there. He played limited minutes due to a foot injury.

McCabe looks to have a bright future. He runs the floor well and he’s big enough to play down low at 6-7 225. He also looks like he could comfortably add another 10-15 pounds of muscle. He shoots the ball well and generally looks good. He’s kinda what everyone wanted Cougs to be last year. I think he’s going to present some matchup problems for our opponents this year.

Eric May is about to become your all time favorite Iowa Hawkeye basketball player. THAT GOES FOR EVERYONE. He’s without a doubt the most improved player on the team. The over under on how many jump shots Eric May shot over the summer is 5,000. He showed a great jump shot and drained buckets from 12 to 22 feet. Granted it wasn’t against the best competition I’ve ever seen but I’m not exaggerating when I say his jump shot tonight looked better than I ever saw Adam Haluska’s. On more than one occasion he pulled up from 15 after one hard bounced and found the bottom of the net. He also looks to be much more confident handling the ball than he did last year. On several occasions he pulled down a rebound and immediately put the ball on the floor to push the basketball. He also had multiple dunks in transition. He was also absolutely dominant on the defensive end. He ripped dribbles and he got steals by jumping passing lanes. He was absolutely dominant.

Brommer looked more comfortable and confident getting his 4 quick fouls tonight than he did getting 4 quick fouls at any point last year.

And that’s about I think. It was fun to watch. I think we scored more points tonight than we did in all of Lick’s tenure.

Last edited:
Agree with pretty much everything. I was at the game...yes, I know it was just an exhibition and a "cupcake" opponent....but I came away impressed.

Basabe is going to have a GREAT career at Iowa.

Thanks, Duff. Great summary.
(And thanks for the new sig, too.) :)

Mostly agree.

I thought Archie looked like a liability and is tall but did not look like he had the strength to bang in the Big Ten. Hopefully we will not need many minutes from him this year.

May was awesome in this game. All time favorite Hawk may be a bit of a stretch at this point but I may change my mind if he plays like that every game the next few years. We'll see what he looks like against some better competition. As Fran said in his post game interview, very few shots were contested today.

I am excited to watch Iowa basketball this year. The team is aggressive and attacks the basket. Love it!

Thank you Duff. Was planning to be there but didn't go. Kicking myself now.

"Brommer looked more comfortable and confident getting his 4 quick fouls tonight than he did getting 4 quick fouls at any point last year." :)

Eric May could play anywherein the country and when all is said and done he may very well be the best player to come out of Iowa in a decade. I said that last year and stick by it today. He has some development yet to do but his upside is phenomenal. He has athletic ability in the same league of guys like James Winters but a greater set of skills to Polish up.

I also was at the game. I pretty much agree with Duff. May was head and shoulders better than anyone else on the floor (pun intended). Basabe looked good. McCabe already has a big ten body as a freshman, and his shot looked great. Cole will be solid, with a little more outside shooting threat perhaps. Cartwright is a great addition. He has great quickness and can finish in traffic. Marble will be a good player, but has some work to do yet. Brommer looked mush improved over a year ago. His being able to keep out of foul trouble could be key this year. I am afraid we won't be able to get much out of Archie. He still lacks some skills.

All in all, I was favorably impressed. I can't wait until we play some real competition.

Mostly agree.

I thought Archie looked like a liability and is tall but did not look like he had the strength to bang in the Big Ten. Hopefully we will not need many minutes from him this year.

I think it's a safe bet to say that Archie and Brommer are both going to draw the ire of some of the DB element around here (I'm NOT saying Shawk is one of them). I think many people are going to rag on him for what he ISN'T rather than focus on what he IS and how he can help this team.

He is NOT going to be a double figure scorer (at least consistently). He is not going to be Kevin McHale with his back to the bucket. He's not going to dribble drive from 15 and finish strong at the rim. He is going to be a BIG body, he's every bit of 6-9 225 that Tate was. He is going to rebound.

If he can do these things (and I think he's capable) I think he can be a real asset to this team.

1) Play solid defensive min.
He's our biggest guy on the team. If he can play quality defensive min against the other teams big he's going to be a tremendous help.

2) Rebound.
Last night he pulled in 5 boards in 10 min. Now he was easilyt the biggest player on the floor so that's not a huge suprise but if he does anything near that he's going to be a big help.

3) Handle the routine offensively.
Again he's not going to be confused with Kevin McHale around the rim, however he did shot last night that he can hanlde the routine. Unlike the previous regeime this years team appears willing to feed the ball into the low post from the wings and baseline. If he's able to handle the basics with the ball in the low block (a solid drop step and a solid power dribble to his strong hand) he should be effective. The key here is getting him the ball in a position where he can succeed, like in the low block or cutting to the basket where all he has to do is go up (he did this once last night and looked good doing it). I should note he did all of this last night.

If he can do this he can be a real help to this team, although I doubt the above will be enought to stop the bottom of the barrel from acting like the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:
I think it's a safe bet to say that Archie and Brommer are both going to draw the ire of some of the DB element around here (I'm NOT saying Shawk is one of them). I think many people are going to rag on him for what he ISN'T rather than focus on what he IS and how he can help this team.

He is NOT going to be a double figure scorer (at least consistently). He is not going to be Kevin McHale with his back to the bucket. He's not going to dribble drive from 15 and finish strong at the rim. He is going to be a BIG body, he's every bit of 6-9 225 that Tate was. He is going to rebound.

If he can do these things (and I think he's capable) I think he can be a real asset to this team.

He's our biggest guy on the team. If he can play quality defensive min against the other teams big he's going to be a tremendous help.

2) Rebound.
Last night he pulled in 5 boards in 10 min. Now he was easilyt the biggest player on the floor so that's not a huge suprise but if he does anything near that he's going to be a big help.

Again he's not going to be confused with Kevin McHale around the rim, however he did shot last night that he can hanlde the routine. Unlike the previous regeime this years team appears willing to feed the ball into the low post from the wings and baseline. If he's able to handle the basics with the ball in the low block (a solid drop step and a solid power dribble to his strong hand) he should be effective. The key here is getting him the ball in a position where he can succeed, like in the low block or cutting to the basket where all he has to do is go up (he did this once last night and looked good doing it). I should note he did all of this last night.

If he can do this he can be a real help to this team, although I doubt the above will be enought to stop the bottom of the barrel from acting like the bottom of the barrel.

Great points Duff! For whatever reason people on here love to focus on what a kid CAN'T do, instead of looking at what he does bring to the table. The great thing is that Fran seems to get this. I loved when he came in, he said he sits down with the kids and tells them what their roles are, and gets them all on board. He isn't going to ask Brommer to score 10 a game, he is going to tell him to rebound and play defense. It gives the kids confidence and a sense of purpose for the team. Look at what Fran said about a walk on T.J. Sayre....

Not only is he about 6’7″, he’s 225. It’s rare that you have a walk‑on that’s that big. So he’s not only physically a guy that can help you in practice, especially if Cole’s foot’s bothering him like it was, or somebody’s out. He knows how to play. He does. He’s been very impressive and been a big asset to our program.

Everyone is valuable, everyone has a role, and everyone makes the team better. Fran gets it!!!!

Brommer and Archie - We are who we thought they were. Hopefully we can get those schollies back for next year. I say go find a JUCO who is really ready to contribute at this level and a good late bloomer athletic forward. What Lick saw in either of these guys to waste schollies I will never know. Neither of these guys have ever asserted themselves.

If you have never seen Brommer assert himself, you have not been watching. I found it interesting the amount of PT Brommer got when Lick was out sick last year. Evidently, the assistants thought a lot more of Brommer than Lick did. As has been pointed out, he needs to get his fouling under control, but he does show some hustle, he can get a body on somebody for D and rebounding, and he actually does present a threat to score. I think Brommer will be a real contributor this season.

Eric May could play anywherein the country and when all is said and done he may very well be the best player to come out of Iowa in a decade. I said that last year and stick by it today. He has some development yet to do but his upside is phenomenal. He has athletic ability in the same league of guys like James Winters but a greater set of skills to Polish up.

I agree right now May is probably the best player, but I have a feeling in 2 years when May is a senior and Basabe is a junior that Basabe is going to be the better player. This kid is the real deal and I would like to thank Siena for letting him out of his LOI.

Brommer and Archie - We are who we thought they were. Hopefully we can get those schollies back for next year. I say go find a JUCO who is really ready to contribute at this level and a good late bloomer athletic forward. What Lick saw in either of these guys to waste schollies I will never know. Neither of these guys have ever asserted themselves.

This is that DB element I was talking about.

2) Rebound.

I am not one of them. I like Brommer and can definitely see he has improved and will help the team. I hope I am wrong about Archie. I would love it if he can play some D and grab some boards and give our other bigs a rest for a few minutes each half. I am just concerned how much success he will have doing that against Big Ten opponents.

Also, regarding the offensive end, I was watching him from pretty close (20 rows up in the corner) and although he made a couple of buckets, it was not pretty. He struggled to get those shots in.

I sincerely hope he just needs more game time and can hone his skills prior to the Big Ten. I believe injuries have limited his practice time.

Last edited:
If you have never seen Brommer assert himself, you have not been watching. I found it interesting the amount of PT Brommer got when Lick was out sick last year. Evidently, the assistants thought a lot more of Brommer than Lick did. As has been pointed out, he needs to get his fouling under control, but he does show some hustle, he can get a body on somebody for D and rebounding, and he actually does present a threat to score. I think Brommer will be a real contributor this season.

I agree, I think Brommer will be a valuable contributor this year and the more he avoids foul trouble the more valuable he will be.

This is that DB element I was talking about.

Yunno. Looking at your definition of DBag, I don't think I actually fit the bill. If either of these guys do the limited things you suggest of which they are capable I will be ecstatic. I just haven't seen any consistent ability to do these things on any level.

But, I hear you. I will stop for now. But if by midseason of their junior year we still are not getting effective production (and by that I would say rebounding and solid defense would be just fine)...

I am not one of them. I like Brommer and can definitely see he has improved and will help the team. I hope I am wrong about Archie. I would love it if he can play some D and grab some boards and give our other bigs a rest for a few minutes each half. I am just concerned how much success he will have doing that against Big Ten opponents.

Also, regarding the offensive end, I was watching him from pretty close (20 rows up in the corner) and although he made a couple of buckets, it was not pretty. He struggled to get those shots in.

I sincerely hope he just needs more game time and can hone his skills prior to the Big Ten. I believe injuries have limited his gametime.

Awesome summary and thanks for the positive thoughts! Did u notice any recruits watching or the 2012 prospects?

Latest posts