Down 43-33

deanvogs

With 1:13 to go in the 1st half. Iowa gets 8 unanswered with (2) 3's from Ogs, and 2 FT from Gesell. Turning point of the game. Over the last 21:13 of the game, the Hawks outscored the Goofs 61-30, now that is domination.

Last edited:
I know JO is going to get a lot of love for the end of the half and he should !, but Gesell 2 ft and the 5 second call he earned were big as well.

I know JO is going to get a lot of love for the end of the half and he should !, but Gesell 2 ft and the 5 second call he earned were big as well.

True ... it's just awesome to see different guys step up every game.

I know people make fun of the fans/media constantly talking about our "depth," but I don't know what else to call it. You shut down 1-2 of our guys, a couple others are right there to rise to the occasion.

It's really pretty awesome to watch.

digieffects-__-Buena-Depth-Cue-Camera-Mapper-Rack-Focus-Atmosphere-Falloff-Lighting-Flipside-Depth-1.jpg

I thought there was some defensive rust in the first half moving their feet.

Overall great game and the last minute+ of first half was huge.

I wonder how many other teams can outplay a top 30 caliber team by 30 points in a little over a half.

As I mentioned on the game thread, my fault. I didn't order my beer until Iowa was down 10. Once I started drinking, Iowa dominated. Sorry about that. I'll be sure to not let that happen on Wednesday.

Hey, it's only weird if doesn't work right?

As I mentioned on the game thread, my fault. I didn't order my beer until Iowa was down 10. Once I started drinking, Iowa dominated. Sorry about that. I'll be sure to not let that happen on Wednesday.

Hey, it's only weird if doesn't work right?

Lol, bring a kegger for the tournament when we get there.

Some teams buckle when down by ten points but this team just keeps plugging away with a diehard mentality. This is where the poise of the team really shows itself

The 8-pt run to end the half was the turning point. To start the second half, you could see Marble/White decided to participate, just put the game away.

I have said it before and it is not a rip, I want to see White/Marble fully engaged the whole game, not for stretches. Both are great when they are locked in.

The key to this one was simple, Minnesota went to the man to man in the second half as opposed to the ball hawking zone and full court pressure they killed us with in the first half. By the time they switched back at 54-46 they had run out of gas and bigs with fouls to give, it was over from there.

In other words the Minnesota coaching staff really out-thought itself here, thinking Iowa would be confused by the shift in D philosophy, and thus have a discombobulated offense in the second half, it did not work, they lost.

There are just a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot of things about this Iowa team that make me smile. Essentially, our reserves played to within 2 points of a team that just beat that O$U team; considering Marble & White had 1 total point at half. This is how dynamic this team can be. I mean Gabe is damn near double figure points in the first half. I think we scored those 61 in about 22 minutes of game time. Wow!

The 5 second call was huge! That took Minny from a chance to go up 7-8 going into the half, to helping Iowa and JO to drain a 3 to knock it to 2 going into the locker room. I told my buddy as we were walking out after the game that only 2 people showed up to play and that was JO and Gesell. Mike made some mistakes in the first half but that was more due to the fact he was the only one bringing it for a while there. They were aggressive mistakes though, such as driving into the trees trying to make something happen. Hard to fault him for that. Thankfully the rest of the team showed up in the 2nd half.

That was something Iowa missed last season. When they got down by double digits they seemed to fold up the tent.

This year is different. Different guys are stepping up at key times.

Latest posts