Door Open on Hawkeye Hoops ’19 Recruiting, But Focus on ’20 & ’21

Assuming Patrick is receiving a scholarship, if we do have another potential 2019 recruit who could fill a void down the road would Fran "take one for the team" and pay for Patrick's schooling as a "walk on"?

Assuming Patrick is receiving a scholarship, if we do have another potential 2019 recruit who could fill a void down the road would Fran "take one for the team" and pay for Patrick's schooling as a "walk on"?
Another 19 scholly is more dependent upon Cook leaving early or anyone else for any reason than that. I mean if a 5 star stud of some kind were to drop in our laps like what happened to Pitino at Louisville (what a surprise 100k can get you)maybe Fran would do something creative to create a spot for him like that but since that isn't happening...

Ideally we should look at some type of transfer that would play in the Garza class. A grad transfer does nothing because they would then graduate with the already too big Bohannon class.

With the Nunge redshirt, it’s possible that we could graduate only 1 senior in 3 out of 4 years (Uhl, Baer, Big senior class, Garza). That is a bad recipe for a school like Iowa.

Ideally we should look at some type of transfer that would play in the Garza class. A grad transfer does nothing because they would then graduate with the already too big Bohannon class.

With the Nunge redshirt, it’s possible that we could graduate only 1 senior in 3 out of 4 years (Uhl, Baer, Big senior class, Garza). That is a bad recipe for a school like Iowa.

Last time we graduated a big class, we had Jok, Baer, and a bunch of freshmen. This time we will have Garza, Nunge, Wieskamp, and Connor. That's a night and day better scenario. We will also have 3 sophomores (one red shirt) with one of them being really highly rated.

On a side note, the way Connor is playing has me more excited for Patrick. Some kids are just really good players, despite how they look. If Connor is better than we thought, there is a better chance that Patrick is better than we think too.

Last time we graduated a big class, we had Jok, Baer, and a bunch of freshmen. This time we will have Garza, Nunge, Wieskamp, and Connor. That's a night and day better scenario. We will also have 3 sophomores (one red shirt) with one of them being really highly rated.

On a side note, the way Connor is playing has me more excited for Patrick. Some kids are just really good players, despite how they look. If Connor is better than we thought, there is a better chance that Patrick is better than we think too.
Sure we are in a better position because it appears Fran has hit on most of his recent recruits, that still doesn’t make me like the idea of having uneven classes. It’s still risky business.

I agree with all of this.

Regarding the side note, I think you may be right. It seems like people just expected Connor to be bad because he wasn't a big time scorer in high school or a flashy athlete. Throw in that some people still had the bad taste in their mouths from little Lick and expectations were lowered.

My biggest concern with Patrick isn't his ability rather his size. He seems to be in the same mold as Uthoff being a skinny stretch 4 that can play the 3. Per Rivals recruiting profiles, Uthoff was 6'8" 190lbs and Patrick is listed 6'8" 180lbs. Uthoff had 2 years of watching after high school to get stronger. We'll see if Patrick is given a year via a redshirt or not.

Regarding the side note, I think you may be right. It seems like people just expected Connor to be bad because he wasn't a big time scorer in high school or a flashy athlete. Throw in that some people still had the bad taste in their mouths from little Lick and expectations were lowered.

My biggest concern with Patrick isn't his ability rather his size. He seems to be in the same mold as Uthoff being a skinny stretch 4 that can play the 3. Per Rivals recruiting profiles, Uthoff was 6'8" 190lbs and Patrick is listed 6'8" 180lbs. Uthoff had 2 years of watching after high school to get stronger. We'll see if Patrick is given a year via a redshirt or not.
Same here. I think a lot of people forget that Uthoff just wasn't able to play his first 2 almost 3 yrs pretty much because of that. His first year of playing at Iowa he didn't make a huge impact due to it either. What was he his SR yr like 220ish? He still seemed skinny to me and was pushed around whenever he did try and wrestle inside even then. Now PM isn't going to be a similar type of player that Uthoff was he seems to be more of a ball handler, run the floor guy that'll dribble drive and slash to the hoop. I hope he can develop his outside shot but I don't think he'll lean on that in college but we'll see. Regardless of that he'll want to get over 200 lbs maybe closer to 215 at the least on that frame to play BIG ball...

Same here. I think a lot of people forget that Uthoff just wasn't able to play his first 2 almost 3 yrs pretty much because of that. His first year of playing at Iowa he didn't make a huge impact due to it either. What was he his SR yr like 220ish? He still seemed skinny to me and was pushed around whenever he did try and wrestle inside even then. Now PM isn't going to be a similar type of player that Uthoff was he seems to be more of a ball handler, run the floor guy that'll dribble drive and slash to the hoop. I hope he can develop his outside shot but I don't think he'll lean on that in college but we'll see. Regardless of that he'll want to get over 200 lbs maybe closer to 215 at the least on that frame to play BIG ball...

I think Uthoff was around 210 as a senior. He's up to 220(100kg) now playing overseas.

upload_2018-11-27_11-26-49.png

http://enbasket.fc-zenit.ru/teams/zenit/players/uthoff.html

I think Uthoff was around 210 as a senior. He's up to 220(100kg) now playing overseas.

View attachment 4602

http://enbasket.fc-zenit.ru/teams/zenit/players/uthoff.html
And you can tell he's worked his butt off just to get to that.. Some guys are just lean. But now that his 25 and had the years at lifting he's had he's pretty ripped up. He and PM certainly seem to be of that ilk. Hard telling how PMs health cancer issues may have played into it for him...

Be nice to see Utfhoff get another go of it in the NBA. His game is better suited for over there but still even a couple years of getting the big bucks here would be nice for him

Sure we are in a better position because it appears Fran has hit on most of his recent recruits, that still doesn’t make me like the idea of having uneven classes. It’s still risky business.

Big classes are a double edged sword. You will probably have a down year when they leave, but you can have a great year when their seniors. Our last big class was in position to win a Big 10 championship and a 1 seed in the tourney with a handful of games left. They ended up losing 4 close games at the end.

If we are actually legit this year, next year's big class would be in position to have a monster year if Cook comes back. The trick is to finish the job late in the year and not take bad 2 years later. If we finished strong with Uthoff, then improved off of the bubble team instead of tanking last year, that big class would have been well worth it. Hopefully this big class will be worth any down year we have after they leave.

There is a decent chance Patrick can look way different at this time next year. He certainly has the genes for it.