Don Nelson....?

tjhawk85

I know he's old, but what about Don Nelson as a candidate? He's an alum, been in the NBA a long time....if we convince him to come back to Iowa players would come play for a guy that's been a part of the NBA a long time. Making the nba is the goal for most college bball players when they sign with a school.
Just throwing it out there....thoughts?

I know he's old, but what about Don Nelson as a candidate? He's an alum, been in the NBA a long time....if we convince him to come back to Iowa players would come play for a guy that's been a part of the NBA a long time. Making the nba is the goal for most college bball players when they sign with a school.
Just throwing it out there....thoughts?

It's already been thrown out then thrown away...mainly due to the fact that he is close to NBA coaching records and we don't want to be the first program that I can think of to have your head coach die in office.

Have you seen a Warriors game in the last two years? Don Nelson doesn't even care about coaching anymore, he's just hanging around to break the record and throw out as many crazy line ups as he can.

Have you seen a Warriors game in the last two years? Don Nelson doesn't even care about coaching anymore, he's just hanging around to break the record and throw out as many crazy line ups as he can.

He picks his lineups by drawing names out of a hat. Someone might play 47 minutes one night and put up 30 points, then play 8 the next night. He's reached "I'm Keith Hernandez" status and doesnt care anymore. He is a "name" but we need somebody ready to do some hard work. Like Cliche said Don would probably die if he had to do some hard work

Beyond the other arguments presented here, Nelson is by far the most successful pro player and coach (and one of the better college players) to have ever come out of Iowa, yet his number has not been retired. I think there must have been some sort of schism between Nels and Iowa in the distant past.