Does this mean I have to pull for Nebraska?

Bohawk

Man...I feel dirty just typing that.

In-laws are typical chest thumping, irrational Nebraska fans. I spent the last 12 years living in the heart of the Big 12 (KC). I loathe everything Big 12 and everything Nebraska.

I pull for the Big 10 no matter what! I can't understand rooting for a Big 10 team to lose a bowl game or any other non-conference battle in any sport.

At least, I couldn't understand until now. How can I possibly root for Nebraska to win a bowl game? How can I possibly root for Nebraska to win anything???

Anyone else faced with this dilemma? Any thoughts on how to cope?

As tough as this is for me, I couldn't imagine having the shoe on the other foot, ie., Iowa joining the Big 12.

I'm not pulling for Nebbie--they're in. I'm doing the sympathy thing and pulling for ISU and Mizzou this year, because it looks like they're going to get the shaft.

I was pondering the same thing. I lived in Omaha for about 3 years right out of college and I don't think I can do it, at least not sober.

Try pulling for them in their last year of the Big 12 to appease your inlaws. Then when Nebbie starts playing the Big 10 schedule and finds out it's harder than they thought it would be (ala Penn State) give your inlaws a gentle "I told you so" regarding the Big 10's toughness.

I grew up in Nebraska, graduated high school from Shenandoah and root for Iowa whenever they don't play Nebraska. I believe it has the potential of being a great border rivalry and I hope it develops into one of mutual respect.

In-laws are typical chest thumping, irrational Nebraska fans. I spent the last 12 years living in the heart of the Big 12 (KC). I loathe everything Big 12 and everything Nebraska.

I pull for the Big 10 no matter what! I can't understand rooting for a Big 10 team to lose a bowl game or any other non-conference battle in any sport.

At least, I couldn't understand until now. How can I possibly root for Nebraska to win a bowl game? How can I possibly root for Nebraska to win anything???

As tough as this is for me, I couldn't imagine having the shoe on the other foot, ie., Iowa joining the Big 12.

LOL You've got a whole year to wrap your head around this new addition to your family... after we are officially B10 members, you can think of us as your red-headed cousins... family but only associate when you absolutely have to... :D

I have been having trouble with this as well. I guess I will do my best to supprt my fellow B I g 1 0 Ahh I just can't bring myself to say it.

LOL You've got a whole year to wrap your head around this new addition to your family... after we are officially B10 members, you can think of us as your red-headed cousins... family but only associate when you absolutely have to... :D

That might be what has to happen.

The only thing that helps me get through it now is the satisfaction of knowing how upset my brother-in-laws are. They've been trashing the Big 10 since I've known them. I should send them a Big 10 t-shirt. :rolleyes:

That might be what has to happen.

The only thing that helps me get through it now is the satisfaction of knowing how upset my brother-in-laws are. They've been trashing the Big 10 since I've known them. I should send them a Big 10 t-shirt. :rolleyes:

I wear XXL :D

Yes. Cheer for them 4 or 5 times a year in OOC games and then you can root for them to go 0-8 in the Big 10. Just like we do for Michigan now :)

No, you do not have to root for Nebraska. but, I will tell you they vast majority of Husker fans have and always will root for Iowa when not playing the Huskers. It's always been this way for us. Most Husker fans believe that the Hawks and Skers have alot in common and have always kind of been a strange distant brother until now. I look forward to competing side by side with the Hawkeyes.:cool:

I hope not rooting against them counts for something.......it is all I can bring myself to do right now.........with time, who knows,

Great question. I lived in Omaha/SW Iowa in the 80s and 90s and had to hear a lot of arrogant trash from Husker fans -- including many of my own relatives! :mad:

But things have calmed down a bit since the Callahan fiasco, and lately I've been able to have many fine, respectful conversations with Nebraska fans.

I was a confirmed Husker hater until the 90s bowl games against UF/FSU when I realized that Nebraska was at least the lesser evil. ;) Nowadays I generally root for them. I was going Husker crazy in the Big 12 championship game against [team name redacted]. You know, the game that lasted 60 minutes and 1 second...

I will definitely root for them in the Big 12 this year, even against ISU. (Screw the clowns!) I will definitely root for them OOC from now on, too.

Last edited:
It looks like they will be in our division so I am going to pull for them to lose, even this year. Might as well get the tradition started now!

I grow up in SE Iowa and down there nobody cared about NU. It wasn’t until I moved up to Des Moines that I got my first taste of NU arraigns. After that I went from liking NU because they where a Midwest school to really having a hard time with tolerating them. I remember growing up a Cardinal fan in Keokuk and listening to the Cub fans in the early 80’s talk crap all the time and to this day I can’t stand the Cubs. The only thing that makes me happier than a Cardinals win is a Cubs loss. I don’t even care if the Cardinals win another Championship just as long as they finish ahead of the Cubs. NU I don’t know they do have a lot of good fans, but the ones that are jerks are really good at being jerks.

No, you do not have to root for Nebraska. but, I will tell you they vast majority of Husker fans have and always will root for Iowa when not playing the Huskers. It's always been this way for us. Most Husker fans believe that the Hawks and Skers have alot in common and have always kind of been a strange distant brother until now. I look forward to competing side by side with the Hawkeyes.:cool:

Hmmm, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I haven't met the Husker fans you speak of.

Hang out with my in-laws for a day. You'll hate the huskers too. They have the unique arrogance of a person that thinks they are the coolest person in the room, but everyone is else is just laughing at them.

F NO you don't have to route for them!!! There use to be one team I would not route for in the Big Ten - Illannoy. Now there are two...

Latest posts