Does the Big Ten really need a Conference Championship Game?

eyekwah

I'm inclined to say no. Other than the money factor for the game isn't being in the playoffs enough? If multiple Big Ten teams make the playoff then just pit them against each other in the playoffs?

Some people think the conferences would never give up the money from the CCG but if they start to seem meaningless, i could see them going away.

It seems to work in the NFL for determining division champs. Just let regular season records and Tiebreakers determine the conference champion. Especially if both 1st and 2nd place teams make the playoffs. Now I could see why G5 conferences would want to keep their CCG, BUT ironically G5 conferences don't make as much money on their CCG.

I'm sure it's out there but I don't know how the BIG and Big 12 are choosing their teams for the CCG. Could be more than 2 12-0 teams. Purdue, Iowa, Rutgers, and Michigan (or some other combination) could all be 12-0 at the end of the regular season since none of them play each other.

This is what worries me. I just don't want a team not named Ohio State, Alabama, etc to get screwed because they don't have the right name. I get tired of seeing the same 6 or 8 teams play every year. I'll take the TCU/Michigan 51-45 game or the Washington/Texas 37-31 game any day. They're incredible games and the emotion from the non-blue bloods makes the buildup and the game seem more exciting to me.

Again, I don't know how they choose the teams for the CCG's, but to keep the blue bloods from getting the nod, I think the ACC, B1G, and SEC should have 2 "semifinal" games between their top 4 teams with the 2 winners going to the playoffs. The Big 12 should have a CCG with its top 2 teams with only 1 team goes to the playoffs because strength wise, it's between a Group of 5/P5 conference. The last team is the winner of the game between the top 2 Group of 5 teams. There's the 8 team playoffs.

Its really useless with no divisions and only potentially lowering the ranking of Big teams going into the playoffs. Time to let it go.

I know it will be mathematically possible for more than 2 teams to go 12-0 in these new divisionless 16-18 team conferences, its just not likely. Still, if it does happen, I am not sure if each conference has published its official tiebreaker rules for 2024. All we know is that the top 2 teams play in the. CCG but the tiebreakers are not known.

One potential tiebreaker scenario is that if teams are tied, the winner of all the games between the tied teams will be the representative if they all played.

Another idea being considered, If they all did not play each other or they are still tied after comparing H2H, then the winning percentage of the tied teams conference opponents will be used to break the tie.

Mo games mo $ it's just that simple.
It won't be long until their is a short spring season. It is, frankly, overdue. I think it would be cool to play 2 home games as part of Spring practice. You could line up lower tier teams like UNI or Drake and split the gate with them. Give them the revenue they need to maintain their programs and then DONT schedule schools like that as part of the regular season. Charge a reasonable gate, concessions, and treat it like a scrimmage. Fans would show. TV revenue would flow. Everyone wins.

It won't be long until their is a short spring season. It is, frankly, overdue. I think it would be cool to play 2 home games as part of Spring practice. You could line up lower tier teams like UNI or Drake and split the gate with them. Give them the revenue they need to maintain their programs and then DONT schedule schools like that as part of the regular season. Charge a reasonable gate, concessions, and treat it like a scrimmage. Fans would show. TV revenue would flow. Everyone wins.
I've always thought this would be cool.

Thinking about a Drake type school, it'd be a great opportunity to get as close to a game style practice as possible. I'd keep it loose and allow things you don't get to do during games and make it a hybrid of a practice and game. For example limit the FBS school to 20 snaps each offense and defense for it's starting 22 players. Or if you don't want to mess with counting snaps then say starters can only play the 1st quarter and then at that point whoever you started the game with is done. That will keep the score competitive potentially and let the 2 and 3 deeps get a shot at the field..

It is all about money. As long as they turn a profit there will be a game. I think Fryowa's idea has a lot of merit and would be a fun watch for the fans.

I've always thought this would be cool.

Thinking about a Drake type school, it'd be a great opportunity to get as close to a game style practice as possible. I'd keep it loose and allow things you don't get to do during games and make it a hybrid of a practice and game. For example limit the FBS school to 20 snaps each offense and defense for it's starting 22 players. Or if you don't want to mess with counting snaps then say starters can only play the 1st quarter and then at that point whoever you started the game with is done. That will keep the score competitive potentially and let the 2 and 3 deeps get a shot at the field..
Exactly. I think for Iowa, it would be more like the third NFL preseason game. Keep your starters in through the middle of the 2nd quarter, but then mostly play the 2s and 3s. For a school like Drake, the competition and exposure would be great, but the million dollar take would cover their football budget for the year.

With all of the changes in college athletics and the eventual move to super leagues and semi-professional football at this level, I hope that some thought is given to the next layers down. The leftovers like Iowa State will be fine. Sort of like the next level down from the premiere league in soccer. Fans and TV will keep them floating along. But the next level down needs to be thrown bones like this to keep football viable at schools like Drake. There are ways to grow this pot that make everyone winners. Americans appetite for good and well run football is pretty massive.

Iowa will likely benefit from a CCG in terms of getting into the playoffs. Not to be a Deborah Downer or anything, but with the new composition of the conference I don't expect to ever see Iowa play a CCG again or at most once more in my lifetime, but there will be plenty of years where a CCG loser will slide down a few slots in the polls and Iowa will backslide into the playoffs.

Hell yes. Could shorten the quarters I'd be cool with just 1 game. But I love the idea.

Iowa will likely benefit from a CCG in terms of getting into the playoffs. Not to be a Deborah Downer or anything, but with the new composition of the conference I don't expect to ever see Iowa play a CCG again or at most once more in my lifetime, but there will be plenty of years where a CCG loser will slide down a few slots in the polls and Iowa will backslide into the playoffs.
Hard to argue with this line of thinking. If anything, there will be more good teams added to the conference in the future, making the climb to the mountain a lot tougher than winning the stinky West.

If this all moves to the Super Conference model, then I hope they move to more of an NFL model. Small divisions, division winners and wildcards and that starts the playoffs through conference championships and championship.

We. don’t need people like you coming on a hawkeye forum and spewing out truth.

“Okeefe4prez”. What’s in a name right? I’d vote for Okeefe4prez over those two ass hats we have to choose from. I’d vote for half of the posters on this forum before voting for them.

I know this could be a topic on an off topic board but as the moderator said not long ago that this is the off season so it’s ok to talk other off topic subjects on the football forum.

Now back on subject; I have already stated previously on another thread that I think this upcoming season is possibly Iowa's best shot at getting into the playoff until it expands to more play off spots. I like our chances at a 32 team playoff. .

Our defense is what will get us there if Lester can give our offense just a pulse. We are very fortunate to have so many excellent defensive players returning, but it will be very, very difficult for Parker to maintain that level UNLESS some deep pocket Daddies come out of the wood work and are willing to support the semi-pro league system that college football has now become.

With the defense being the strength of our program for years now we will be taking a big hit after this upcoming season. We need Lester to revive our offense in a big way to help balance things out for years where our defense is re-building.

Last edited:
We. don’t need people like you coming on a hawkeye forum and spewing out truth.

“Okeefe4prez”. What’s in a name right? I’d vote for Okeefe4prez over those two asshats we have to choose from. I’d vote for half of the posters on this forum before voting for them.

I know this could be a topic on an off topic board but as the moderator said not long ago this is the off season so it’s ok.

Now back on subject; I have already stated previously on another thread that I think this upcoming season is possibly Iowa's last shot st getting into tournsmemt. Our defense isbwhst will get us there if Lester csn give our offesne just a pulse. We are very fortunate to have so many excellent defensive players returning, but it will be very, very difficult for Parker to maintain that level UNLESS some deep pocket Daddies come out of the wood work and are willing to support the semi-pro league.
This is what day drinking does to grammar and mental filters.......

This is what day drinking does to grammar and mental filters.......

Lol, that’s what happens when you’re married and the wifey doesn’t want to be late for a dinner reservation while you’re quickly commenting on a sports forum. I went back and cleaned up a few things. Cleaned up a few things??? Oh my God I’ve been Kirkized!

Lol, that’s what happens when you’re married and the wifey doesn’t want to be late for a dinner reservation while you’re quickly commenting on a sports forum. I went back and cleaned up a few things. Cleaned up a few things??? Oh my God I’ve been Kirkized!
You posted it at noon Utah time, how friggin long does it take her to get ready for dinner?

Latest posts