Does Stanzi have a chance to make it to New York?

Half way through the season he has 1500 yards and 11 touchdowns, say the rest of the way he goes for 1800 yards 14 touchdowns to only 3 picks and 6 Hawk wins. Does he belong in the Heisman race?

Half way through the season he has 1500 yards and 11 touchdowns, say the rest of the way he goes for 1800 yards 14 touchdowns to only 3 picks and 6 Hawk wins. Does he belong in the Heisman race?

Granted his stats have been pretty good... but I just don't see it. The voters are focused on the big dogs.. tebow, mccoy, etc. Same thing happened to Greene last year.. I don't know that he would have gotten a look even had Iowa run the table.

Thats going to be awful tough for him to do now that we're in the thick of the conference schedule. If he does put up those numbers i'd say he would deserve to be mentioned in the Heisman race but thats a BIG if. I think next year he will have a better chance.

Does he have a chance? Yes. There is absolutely no one standing out at this point, with the exception of maybe Ingram at Alabama.

The chance is small and will require him to have a heck of a closing run. The Hawkeyes will need to finish undefeated, he will probably have to average 300 yards passing per game, and TD/INT ratio is going to have to be an average of 3/1 in every game. It doesn't look good...but then again, why not?

The Heisman is supposed to be awarded to the best collegiate player that year. What defines the best collegiate player? Is the QB who leads his team to an undefeated season and a spot in the NC game regardless of stats? Does the QB have to throw for 40 TD's and only a handful of int's? Is a RB who runs for 2000 yards but is on a losing team or is it the RB who runs for 1200 but is playing in the NC game? Is a LB or a DE that leads the nation in sacks & tackles.

I think the perception on the media voters for the heisman is you have to lead your team basically to the NC game and put up tremendous statistics.

SG is a perfect example last year, Doak Walker winner but not a finalist for the heisman, why? Because we had 4 losses and we aren't a flashy team that is in the highlight reels everyweek.

The Heisman is supposed to be awarded to the best collegiate player that year. What defines the best collegiate player? Is the QB who leads his team to an undefeated season and a spot in the NC game regardless of stats? Does the QB have to throw for 40 TD's and only a handful of int's? Is a RB who runs for 2000 yards but is on a losing team or is it the RB who runs for 1200 but is playing in the NC game? Is a LB or a DE that leads the nation in sacks & tackles.

I think the perception on the media voters for the heisman is you have to lead your team basically to the NC game and put up tremendous statistics.

SG is a perfect example last year, Doak Walker winner but not a finalist for the heisman, why? Because we had 4 losses and we aren't a flashy team that is in the highlight reels everyweek.

Key word in this post is bolded. Fact is, the Heisman has been nothing more than a popularity contest, going almost exclusively to the best player on one of the best teams, usually a QB. Unfortunately, it means only a sliver of what it used to.

It's actually possible. There is no real frontrunner this year, and this is about the point in the season in 2002 where Banks really made his move.

Many, many passes to Moeaki and DJK combined with no more costly passes to guys in different jerseys would greatly enhance this possibility.

Key word in this post is bolded. Fact is, the Heisman has been nothing more than a popularity contest, going almost exclusively to the best player on one of the best teams, usually a QB. Unfortunately, it means only a sliver of what it used to.

Cosign.

It's given to the offensive player with the gaudiest stats on a team with a great record.

Orlando Pace should have won it in 1996. That's not even debatable. I watched him pancake three guys on one play versus Notre Dame that year. It wasn't man amongst boys. It was man amongst toddlers. Or fetuses even.

Marshall Faulk never won it. Gino Toretta did. I rest my case.

Stanzi can't even be considered the clear cut MVP of the Iowa football team. There's no way he even gets a whiff of consideration from the Heisman Committee this year.

Nope. Won't make it. Everyone around here (me included) has an issue with the national media disrepecting the Hawkeyes as a team. No way they'll single out a Hawkeye player with enough votes to send them to NYC.

And that's okay with me. This is pure team this year. No one player standing out. And I'd bet that's just how the players want it.

it would be nice and i think he's done a nice job. remember, at least three of those picks were a timing or miscommunication with the reciever. they have to run the right routes before the quarterback can put the ball on them. i think the heisman has become somewhat of a joke. look at the recent winners who are in the nfl. not much success. ricki is a solid quarterback and i think will really shine now and next year too. as for the heisman, after what they did to SG last year, who cares!

Not a chance.
1) Yes he is winning, but he gets little credit. You need to be your team's clear MVP first.
2) He was not on the radar to begin the season and he is not on the radar now. The only way to get there w/o already being a favorite is to put up crazy numbers (like Shonn Greene last year) and Stanzi's numbers are good, but not good enough, not even close really.
3) As mentioned before by many, it helps to play for a team that gets coverage week to week whether they win or lose, ex. ND, USC, OSU, MICH etc.

Stanzi is a great HAWKEYE quarterback and he wins games for us, but thats not gonna be good enough to make it to New York. He will have a slim chance next year if things fall into place, but its a long shot even then.

Latest posts