Does everyone recall this thread?

I'm too lazy to click in the link. Did you say Garza was going to look really good at times and really bad at times as a true freshmen?

I think he said he would be averaging 10.1 points (4th on the team), 6.5 rebounds (1st on the team), and 1.4 blocks (1st on the team) a game so far as a freshman (in 17.9 minutes). Also, he has the highest offensive (122.3) and second lowest defensive (94.3) rating on the team so far. :)

I think he said he would be averaging 10.1 points (4th on the team), 6.5 rebounds (1st on the team), and 1.4 blocks (1st on the team) a game so far as a freshman (in 17.9 minutes). Also, he has the highest offensive (122.3) and second lowest defensive (94.3) rating on the team so far. :)

The defensive rating surprises me. He's gotta be the worst defender (as a true freshman) on a team full of bad defenders. I know the rebuttal will be he doesn't put up stats against good teams, but he had plenty of opportunities to score the other night. He didn't score because he missed shots, not because the defense stopped him. He's going to have some more big games this year, and some more terrible ones.

The defensive rating surprises me. He's gotta be the worst defender (as a true freshman) on a team full of bad defenders. I know the rebuttal will be he doesn't put up stats against good teams, but he had plenty of opportunities to score the other night. He didn't score because he missed shots, not because the defense stopped him. He's going to have some more big games this year, and some more terrible ones.

I listed the defensive rating since he was second on the team. I am still not a big believer in the defensive rating stat because it is so subjective, especially when a team plays a lot of zone. Sometimes the defensive rating statistic doesn't really penalize the right defender when the other team scores.

Garza does struggle on defense (like a lot of freshman do), but on this team, except for Baer, it's really hard to find anyone else who is playing well on defense. The blocked shots help the rating. :)

The main thing was because of his size many of us, including myself, talked ourselves into believing he would be a lift to our defense by being able to protect the rim. In reality he has been a very poor defender, always finding himself out of position and very slow of foot.

The main thing was because of his size many of us, including myself, talked ourselves into believing he would be a lift to our defense by being able to protect the rim. In reality he has been a very poor defender, always finding himself out of position and very slow of foot.

If we tailored our Zone to keep him in the low block none of those things would matter. Fran is simply determined to make every player well rounded. That is usually going to look bad for Freshman bigs.

Because he has flat, slow feet.

If he can get to a Adam Woodbury level defensively I will take it. It may not happen this year, but he will figure out how to hedge on ball screens.

When Garza jumps for rebounds I’m not sure I could slide a piece of paper under his feet. The next four years are going to be stat builders for opposing big men

Key word athletic.....He's had some good games, but defensively, he needs a lot of work
Well....that's what every other team in the BIG conference has, so. I guess we get to look forward to him being abused on the defensive end, for 3.5 more years.

He's still better offensively and as a rebounder than Woodbury ever was. It's also not like Woodbury was some shot blocking monster. Garza can get to where Woodbury was defensively.

Latest posts