Does anyone on this forum really know anything about conference expansion?

Do you think that any poster really knows what they are talking about?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What do you mean by "know"? Do you mean, "Does anyone have any inside information? Are you 'in the know'?" Or do you mean, "Does anyone have any real understanding of how it works?"

The only thing I know is the clowns are in big butthurt right now. I half feel bad until ISUer and cyclone 17 show up then I lose any sympathy.

No. Although if you ever read Cyclone fanatic it's much worse over there. Everyone on that board thinks they are an expert on the subject.

Anyone who believes that schools such as Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State have a shot at joining the Big 10...they don't know what they're talking about.

Anyone who believes that the Big 10 will expand to 14 or 16 teams just because other conferences are doing it...they don't know what they're talking about.

The only thing I know is the clowns are in big butthurt right now. I half feel bad until ISUer and cyclone 17 show up then I lose any sympathy.

Same here. I know lots of quality ISU fans in real life, but guys like Cyclone17 make me want to see ISU end up in the MAC.

No. Although if you ever read Cyclone fanatic it's much worse over there. Everyone on that board thinks they are an expert on the subject.

I have been watching CF and it is real bad over there tonight. They think they are a lock for the big ten.

What do you mean by "know"? Do you mean, "Does anyone have any inside information? Are you 'in the know'?" Or do you mean, "Does anyone have any real understanding of how it works?"

Does it change the answer to the poll either way? I don't think it matters. A lot of armchair commissioners around here.

Does anyone on this forum know anything about conference expansion?

Yes, there are some well informed people that understand what is absolutely known now and know that after tomorrow there could be more schools looking to change conferences. Is there anyone that knows exactly what will transpire with which schools end up where? No. Some people speculate and infer from speculation where schools end up. Then we have a bunch of wishful thinkers that want something to happen that flies in the face of logic.

Let' take Jim Delaney at face value. The Big Ten is not actively seeking new members. Did he rule out ever expanding? No. The Big Ten conference maybe innovative in some ways, but when it comes to membership it has to have a convincing argument for adding a member. In over 100 years only MSU (1953), PSU (1993) and now Nebraska (2011) have been added. The B1G will not be rushed.

The reason Nebraska was added was to correct a deficiency. No conference championship game in order for the champ to be better prepared for its bowl without a long layoff. Problem solved. I do not see any other conference problem that needs solved by expansion.

Last edited:
The B1G will not be rushed.

One could argue that this has already been proven otherwise with the quick addition of Nebraska after a "12 to 18 month" timetable was put forth to simply LOOK at expansion.

And throw out the last 100 years of conference alignments and realignments. Times have changed. And, like it or not, the landscape IS rapidly changing right before our eyes.

Does it change the answer to the poll either way? I don't think it matters. A lot of armchair commissioners around here.

And your point? actually the question should have been does anyone on this forum know anything about anything, all in fun, hear/say/ water-cooler, venting, ect. I really enjoy Jon's forum because it gives me something to do when I'm bored.

Here is what I know:

I am associated with a low FBS conference school. A group of high non-BCS conference associated individuals (mostly boosters) had lunch with a group of the same from my conference last week. Their assumption was that the superconferences were happening. They also fear that the superconferences will form their own system of competitive post-season play. They did not call it playoffs.

In response, they were interested in forming a unified National conference of the leftovers that were financially viable. The national conference would include a similar four division set-up. Their hope is that such a conference would be able to negotiate national TV contracts as they would be able to offer enough programming. They also could control travel costs by keeping schools close to home and administrative costs by only having one league office. Finally, they would be able to have a competitive post-season system like the superconferences.

They talked about a West, Mountain/Central, East, and SE divisional split. The reason they were talking to us is that we are in one of the conferences which wouldn't be able to get all teams in and we have one of the highest attendance numbers of the conference. Unfortunately, we are not close to being financially solvent, which is a key concern.

Their take is that the Big East is going to only require basketball for membership, which would allow them to add schools like Memphis, which have horrible football situations. The key for this group is that Memphis is one of their current schools.

Finally, they don't think Kansas is going to be available, but did not know about Kansas State and ISU.

Of course, these are not "official" conference guys. But they are the guys who told us about the whole Pac 16 before it broke last year.

Here is what I know:

I am associated with a low FBS conference school. A group of high non-BCS conference associated individuals (mostly boosters) had lunch with a group of the same from my conference last week. Their assumption was that the superconferences were happening. They also fear that the superconferences will form their own system of competitive post-season play. They did not call it playoffs.

In response, they were interested in forming a unified National conference of the leftovers that were financially viable. The national conference would include a similar four division set-up. Their hope is that such a conference would be able to negotiate national TV contracts as they would be able to offer enough programming. They also could control travel costs by keeping schools close to home and administrative costs by only having one league office. Finally, they would be able to have a competitive post-season system like the superconferences.

They talked about a West, Mountain/Central, East, and SE divisional split. The reason they were talking to us is that we are in one of the conferences which wouldn't be able to get all teams in and we have one of the highest attendance numbers of the conference. Unfortunately, we are not close to being financially solvent, which is a key concern.

Their take is that the Big East is going to only require basketball for membership, which would allow them to add schools like Memphis, which have horrible football situations. The key for this group is that Memphis is one of their current schools.

Okay:

Here is the most recent information.

Like I said would happen Memphis is in BE. The BE schools know they are losing their autobid as the autobids will be gone. But they wanted a good BBall conference.

The CUSA/MW merger will stand pat for awhile. We have been told we are not being considered right now. This is true even though we outrecruited every non-BCS school and many BCS schools, including ISU.

They really like their 16 team conference.

That leaves us in a weird spot.

What we are hearing now is the NCAA will add a division for teams between FCS and the major conferences.

That will most likely be made up of CUSA/MWC, BE, MAC, and Sun Belt. This is the same kind of breakdown I mentioned that CUSA was talking about. The WAC wants in but people I know seem to think they are destined to drop down to FCS.

Take this with a grain of salt, but everything I have said to this point has come to pass.

Oh and yes, the big shift will happen in 2013. That is if the Mayan apocalypse hasn't done away with it all.

big 10 has no interest in expanding. that was the whole point of the pac12-big10 conference duals in the distant future. expanding but not really.

Yep and they also had no interest in a plus one.

Oh wait, now they do? There is going to be a 4 major division playoff. The B1G can go into that with only 2 divisions and one championship game. However, the SEC and ACC will end up with 16 teams and 2 rounds of internal playoffs. If the B1G wants to give up the revenue from those first 2 divisional PO games, that is fine. But those are going to make gobs of money. Pretty soon the B1G is going to want a piece.

Keep believing what you want, but understand I have called all of this along the way even when others have been fooled by posturing.

Latest posts