Do You Want the Big 10 to add another team?

Do you want the Big 10 to add another team to the conference?

• Yes

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Don't Care!

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes. Personally, I hope it's Mizzou. I wouldn't mind putting a beating on them every year and plus it's an easier road trip for me to make.

Yup. ND, Mizzou and Rutgers are my hopes. Rutgers is playing pretty well in their bowl game right now. They've got a good coach, huge media market, and good academics. They're definitely my #1 choice after ND turned it down.

Last edited:
No, i'll type more because i got an error message saying my message was too short, WTH (what the heck)? Does that mean "NM" will not work either?

Yes. I think if OSU is on the other side of a split conference, we have a good shot at the conference championship game almost every year.

Possible answer; however, "No" is not four letters? Oh well.

No it is the answer-- this web site will only allow a one word answer
if it has a minimum of five letters in it! It will accept asterisks and other paraphernalia
but not everyone knows that.

Yup. ND, Mizzou and Rutgers are my hopes. Rutgers is playing pretty well in their bowl game right now. They've got a good coach, huge media market, and good academics. They're definitely my #1 choice after ND turned it down.

exactly my thoughts.

I do not want Missouri, the academic side is pathetic. Rutgers should be the clear #1 if ND is out of the mix.

While the topic of a 12th team is interesting to discuss, it is not something I care all that much about. There is pro's and con's to expansion. If the goal is to generate money via a championship game then it might end up that the 12th team cuts into the current proceeds of the 11 teams. If the goal is to extend the season then just schedule games after Thanksgiving.

I really think the idea of two divisions isn't really creative. Call it crazy, but maybe three divisions is better. You keep the rivalry games and you do some inter-division games with the other two divisions. The team with the best overall record within the conference (designated regular season champion) gets a bye in week one of the playoffs. Week one has the two division winners that did not win the conference, playoff to challenge the conference champ.

Think of Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, ???? as the Minneapolis Division. Put Illinois, NW, Purdue, Penn State in the Indianpolis Division, and tOSU, UofM, MSU,and Indiana in the Detroit Division. Of course assignments could change on a 12th team. You could hold the playoff games in dome stadiums in the midwest, Indy, Detroit, Minneapolis are three possibilities.

OK, now crucify the idea.

While the topic of a 12th team is interesting to discuss, it is not something I care all that much about. There is pro's and con's to expansion. If the goal is to generate money via a championship game then it might end up that the 12th team cuts into the current proceeds of the 11 teams. If the goal is to extend the season then just schedule games after Thanksgiving.

I really think the idea of two divisions isn't really creative. Call it crazy, but maybe three divisions is better. You keep the rivalry games and you do some inter-division games with the other two divisions. The team with the best overall record within the conference (designated regular season champion) gets a bye in week one of the playoffs. Week one has the two division winners that did not win the conference, playoff to challenge the conference champ.

Think of Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, ???? as the Minneapolis Division. Put Illinois, NW, Purdue, Penn State in the Indianpolis Division, and tOSU, UofM, MSU,and Indiana in the Detroit Division. Of course assignments could change on a 12th team. You could hold the playoff games in dome stadiums in the midwest, Indy, Detroit, Minneapolis are three possibilities.

OK, now crucify the idea.

I agree that this could wind up costing the current 11 teams some money.
Unless it's ND ( unlikely ) or perhaps a Nebby ( also very low odds )
I think Mizzou is a joke. I hate the 2 division idea and I'm not a big
fan of an end of season championship......so I'd say NO!

Big 12 , stronger at the top spot than the Big Ten but over all an easier conference for these teams to get wins in.

Missouri wont leave the Big 12.Would be more losses for them every year.

Iowa State wont leave the Big 12 , already losses most the recruitment wars , would just take another hit joining the Big Ten.

Nebraska , to much heritage in the B12.

Would ND join the B10.

No, they stand to lose to much money and wont back out of their contract with NBC..factoid..they turned us down twice.

Pitt? Not a bad choice but i doubt Pitt being at the top of their conference would want to get beat up in the Big Ten and go to recruiting wars they already seem to lose vs Penn State , also a Big Ten recruiting pool.

Rutgers? this doesn't seem like a bad move at all. New area , more fans , different market . We already recruit the crap out of New Jersey! They are like a Big Ten team anyway when you look at them. The Big Ten plays Rutgers alot already. Probably the best choice.

I know people have not mentioned TCU being a choice , but if you are the Big Ten and you are looking to add that power house 12th team , certainly you don't want to add some p*ss ant team and make the conference weaker ...right? Then why not shoot for TCU or Utah? The Mountain West is top sided but there is more money in the Big Ten and both would be more viewing and recruiting gains for the B10. I think if there is a dark horse somewhere out there is think its TCU and Utah , wouldn't this be their shot at telling the BCS...we are in a BCS conference now , you cant screw us out of a Title Shot any more.

If it was my decision i would ask in this order.

TCU.
Rutgers ( the best balanced athletically and academically school like the Big Ten)
Utah
Pitt(if it came down to it)

I used Utah as my third because i think they would snatch it up so i wouldn't have to take Pitt or anyone else not mentioned.

If you ran the Big Ten Conference you have to be thinking of the following.

What school fits our mold Academically and Athletically.

What is their sports program like , the money bringers . Football being #1 , Basketball being #2

The History of the school ? Tainted with controversy? Class Act? or Ho-Hum?

Marketability. Is it a new area? recruiting for sports? academics a new foothold to compete for top students in a new area?

Money . Does the school have deep pockets? We don't want some school in debt and constantly digging into funds from the rest of the 11 schools to get them on track do we? Don't we want someone who is already on the run both athletically and academically?

The wishful thinking side of me would like to see TCU but the realistic side says we are taking Rutgers.

We wont take any other schools that are average or lop sided so much as to bring the conference down , thats why i say , Mizzo or Iowa State wont be pitched to come and join . ND wont because of money , Nebraska wont because they already win in the B12 . Pitt wont because they are already at the top in the East.

I say its Rutgers.

Latest posts