Do You Wanna Dance...

thedukeofearl

Yale disposed of Auburn quite nicely

Colorado vs Florida is a barn burner on right now, fast paced and fun to watch

Just starting to get interested in The Dance

Cyclones look tough and are certainly a possible Final Four

Drake fought hard but No Cigar

MAX has a very nice format to watch the games, you can get it for 7 days free, then cancel

B1G went 4-2 in first round.

Better than I thought they would. It is no longer the toughest or second toughest men's basketball conference. It is more like fifth or sixth.

Think of that the next time you compare Fran to Tom, or point out how many first time all B1G Fran has produced. This league in the late eighties-early nineties was ridiculous. Which is why they were frequently represented in the final four. And a couple times cutting down the nets.

After the first round here is a quick count of how the major conferences did:
Big East, 3 - 0
Big 10, 4 - 2
SEC, 3 -5
Big 12, 6 - 3
PAC, 3 - 0
ACC, 4 - 0

There are 8 games in round 2 where a member of one conference listed above faces another member from the above list. The Big Ten has a NC vs MSU and NW vs UConn in round 2. It looks like the Big Ten will be 4 and 4 after Saturday. The Big Ten other than Illinois and Purdue wasn't very good. The SEC vs Big 12 match ups might be good to watch, TN vs Texas and Houston vs Texas A&M.

B1G went 4-2 in first round.

Better than I thought they would. It is no longer the toughest or second toughest men's basketball conference. It is more like fifth or sixth.

Think of that the next time you compare Fran to Tom, or point out how many first time all B1G Fran has produced. This league in the late eighties-early nineties was ridiculous. Which is why they were frequently represented in the final four. And a couple times cutting down the nets.
Where in the world did you get the 5th or 6th crap. Geez.

Where in the world did you get the 5th or 6th crap. Geez.
It ain't crap Huck. I watch basketball. Why do you think they got only six teams in? Why has it been a quarter century since a conference school cut down the nets? Who was the last to even make a final four? Michigan six years ago?

No way is this this conference as strong as the period I was alluding to, when you had the fab five and Iowa (a top ten team themselves) once beat three top ten teams in ten days. Another year two league teams made the final four.

You could argue that the ACC, Big East, SEC, Big 12, amd Mountain West are as good or better than the B1G.

It ain't crap Huck. I watch basketball. Why do you think they got only six teams in? Why has it been a quarter century since a conference school cut down the nets? Who was the last to even make a final four? Michigan six years ago?

No way is this this conference as strong as the period I was alluding to, when you had the fab five and Iowa (a top ten team themselves) once beat three top ten teams in ten days. Another year two league teams made the final four.

You could argue that the ACC, Big East, SEC, Big 12, amd Mountain West are as good or better than the B1G.

Wow, that is definitely not something to puff your chest out and brag about. Hopefully we can get that turned around.

Until we get an all Big ten first team guard on the Iowa’s men’s team it is not happening. Over the years Fran has been here, Center position (check) forward position (check) point guard position (NOT!!!!!!!!) No puzzle is complete with a missing piece.

I am just grateful that I got to follow and see one final four team in my lifetime. Some of you may not be so fortunate.

As much as I have been hopeful that Fran could put together just one final four team at this point it’s highly unlikely that he will ever make it happen. Good solid coach? Yes. Fun teams to watch most years? Yes. Final Four caliber? Not yet and highly, highly, unlikely ever under Fran. He is a good coach but not good enough to get to a final four. He’ll just getting to an Elite eight would be a huge encouragement and maybe help recruiting. You know that old cliché about breaking through the ice. It is like Fran is standing on ice three feet thick. However as long as he is at the Iowa helm I will always cheer for him and the players. We need a huge thaw.

To be fair they haven’t won a championship in 24 years, but they have got a team to the final game 8 times. Yes, there are issues with the B1G having success in the tournament; however, it isn’t as dramatic as everyone is making it.

I agree with you. The B1G between 86-94 was light years ahead of where it is now. lol, take Iowa out of the mix after 89, the top 5 or 6 teams each year had at least 1 or 2 NBA dudes on their roster. That’s not the case anymore.

I will defend Huck. The Big 12 and Big East are better, subtract those conferences, are the rest of the Power 6 conferences that much better than the B1G? The ACC, SEC, Pac-12 and the B1G are all having down years and you will never sell me on the Mountain West. I understand your point I just think it is an indictment on men’s college basketball in general and not specific to the B1G conference.

To be fair they haven’t won a championship in 24 years, but they have got a team to the final game 8 times. Yes, there are issues with the B1G having success in the tournament; however, it isn’t as dramatic as everyone is making it.

I agree with you. The B1G between 86-94 was light years ahead of where it is now. lol, take Iowa out of the mix after 89, the top 5 or 6 teams each year had at least 1 or 2 NBA dudes on their roster. That’s not the case anymore.

I will defend Huck. The Big 12 and Big East are better, subtract those conferences, are the rest of the Power 6 conferences that much better than the B1G? The ACC, SEC, Pac-12 and the B1G are all having down years and you will never sell me on the Mountain West. I understand your point I just think it is an indictment on men’s college basketball in general and not specific to the B1G conference.
It's a cyclical thing, and right now I think the B1G is slightly down, as it was in the Alford years. It was highly elite through much of the eighties and nineties, then down, then resurged during the Zenith of the Izzo/Ryan/Beilein eras.

Now it is down again. It will probably emerge again.

After the second round here is a quick count of how the major conferences did:
Big East, 6 - 0
Big 10, 6 - 4
SEC, 4 -6
Big 12, 8 - 6
PAC, 4 -2
ACC, 8 - 0

With all the conference member changes it is hard to keep track of what conference some teams are in. I believe the above are nearly correct. Some match ups that are interesting:
Illinois vs Iowa State, Houston vs Duke, Purdue Gonzaga. There are 5 games between ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12, and PAC teams. There is not really any mid major basketball teams left. San Diego State comes the closest.

After the second round here is a quick count of how the major conferences did:
Big East, 6 - 0
Big 10, 6 - 4
SEC, 4 -6
Big 12, 8 - 6
PAC, 4 -2
ACC, 8 - 0

With all the conference member changes it is hard to keep track of what conference some teams are in. I believe the above are nearly correct. Some match ups that are interesting:
Illinois vs Iowa State, Houston vs Duke, Purdue Gonzaga. There are 5 games between ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12, and PAC teams. There is not really any mid major basketball teams left. San Diego State comes the closest.

Really good basketball left

Illinois-Iowa State will be a barn burner

Purdue-Gonzaga, one would think the Boilermakers rule, But...

Houston-Duke is an interesting one, Houston's D is Strong and Duke no
longer has Krzyzewski,

Latest posts