Do you trust this offense to score 24?

Tfunkhawkeye

Maybe I'm remembering the end of '10 too much.

Do you trust the defense to hold opponents under 24?

I have my doubts in both places.

I trust the defense completely. The 4th quarters were a little rough last season but over the last 10 years they've proven to be pretty tough.

I actually think Iowa's defense is going to be better than last years was. Maybe not the D-line, but in linebackers and secondary I think they'll make the plays. Our LBs are so fast to the ball it would be surprising if a "new to FBS football QB" would make enough plays to win a game.

If Iowa doesn't turn the ball over more than twice, I think Iowa wins by more than two scores.

It is not about the Iowa O they will do enough to get 14 to 20 points...It is about ISU O being able to match that.

TO(s) being even ISU won't be able put 4 solid drives together.

Why not? We got two WR's that seem to be able to make some ridiculous catches and Coker scraped the butter off of his hands and arms when he got benched the other day, not to mention the O-line. JVB is pretty darn good too. No worries, brah

There may be a couple of teams that top the 24 point mark but overall I think our defense will give up about 13 point a game (on average) ... I like the speed all the way across the board ... We have the talent; just need to make some tweaks and you can guarantee tweaks will be made ... We will be fine ...

The O knows that they didn't play all that great against Tenn Tech. They're not going to be feeling overly good about the victory. They're going to focus on playing better .... and getting better.

What was still nice to see, despite the rather sloppy play, was the fact that Vandenberg still threw the ball pretty well ... despite the bad weather conditions. I think that will bode well for the Hawks in the future ... even in adverse weather conditions. I'm a huge Stanzi fan ... however, most bad weather games tended to coincide with poor games from Stanzi. The fact that Vandenberg still completed 61% of the passes .... and that number would have been a lot better were it not for a number of drops .... that's awful promising. What would that number have been in dry conditions?

Coker went into a shell a bit. He knows that ... and he's a smart guy ... he'll realize that and get over it. It's not like he's a different guy from the one who had great success against both tOSU and Mizzou. The REAL Coker will reappear ... and we'll be more than happy to have him back.

And, what was pretty sweet is that we didn't even overemphasize our strength at TE ... and, even then, we still passed the ball 8 times to the TEs (almost a third of the passes). Of course, only 4 were for completions ... but most of them were pretty nice balls that should have been caught.

Folks have to realize that the OL still hasn't gelled yet. The OL had trouble with footing ... and there were plenty of things that can and will get cleaned up on the OL. All the same, it's nice to recognize that Vandenberg has yet to have gotten sacked. My guess is that the group will still be a little bit rough around the edges through the next week or two .... however, by the Big 10 conference slate ... I think that the group should be pretty darn good.

Anyhow, I have little doubt that this O will be able to average AT LEAST 24 points per game.

Lastly, I know that many folks will try to point out that the Hawks only scored 27 points on O. However, we very easily could have scored 34 ... but, we ran the clock out like we always do. Furthermore, it's also important to note that Vandenberg only played through roughly 2.5 quarters. If our first team is playing through an entire game ... we score more points ... no questions asked.

The O knows that they didn't play all that great against Tenn Tech. They're not going to be feeling overly good about the victory. They're going to focus on playing better .... and getting better.

What was still nice to see, despite the rather sloppy play, was the fact that Vandenberg still threw the ball pretty well ... despite the bad weather conditions. I think that will bode well for the Hawks in the future ... even in adverse weather conditions. I'm a huge Stanzi fan ... however, most bad weather games tended to coincide with poor games from Stanzi. The fact that Vandenberg still completed 61% of the passes .... and that number would have been a lot better were it not for a number of drops .... that's awful promising. What would that number have been in dry conditions?

Coker went into a shell a bit. He knows that ... and he's a smart guy ... he'll realize that and get over it. It's not like he's a different guy from the one who had great success against both tOSU and Mizzou. The REAL Coker will reappear ... and we'll be more than happy to have him back.

And, what was pretty sweet is that we didn't even overemphasize our strength at TE ... and, even then, we still passed the ball 8 times to the TEs (almost a third of the passes). Of course, only 4 were for completions ... but most of them were pretty nice balls that should have been caught.

Folks have to realize that the OL still hasn't gelled yet. The OL had trouble with footing ... and there were plenty of things that can and will get cleaned up on the OL. All the same, it's nice to recognize that Vandenberg has yet to have gotten sacked. My guess is that the group will still be a little bit rough around the edges through the next week or two .... however, by the Big 10 conference slate ... I think that the group should be pretty darn good.

Anyhow, I have little doubt that this O will be able to average AT LEAST 24 points per game.

Lastly, I know that many folks will try to point out that the Hawks only scored 27 points on O. However, we very easily could have scored 34 ... but, we ran the clock out like we always do. Furthermore, it's also important to note that Vandenberg only played through roughly 2.5 quarters. If our first team is playing through an entire game ... we score more points ... no questions asked.

In good weather they could have scored 60+ easily. Not that KF would do that of course.

I know Bielema would have tacked on the extra score at the end.

If I were a clown fan, like I suspect the OP is, I would be concerned first and foremost if:
1. the clowns can score a TD this game against the first team. I suspect they will this game but it is not a given.
2. the clowns can score two TDs in this game.
3. whether the clown defense can hold Iowa's offense under 27 points.
4. whether their QB will throw three interceptions. Arnaud was Iowa's best player the past two years. Will steel be next?
5. whether their first team can stay healthy because they have the depth of high schoolers after a few of their first teamers.
6. the stands have many clown fans left in the 4th quarter and whether the Iowa fans will be making more noise than clown fans.

As an ISU fan I don't see how the Clones will score more than 10 in this game. And Iowa has had no trouble scoring the last few years.

I think the Iowa offense should be able to move the ball just fine. I also think it will be tough for the ISU offense to move the ball against us. My only real concern is turnovers. Hopefully, the RB's are working on holding on to the damn ball this week...

I'm pretty confident. I think only 9 points were scored last week in the hurricane, while most of the other points were when the rain slowed down.

One thing I'm highly confident of:
KF and his staff are exceptionally good at fixing major oversights from previous seasons.
I don't expect a KF coached team to ever be under prepared for a bowl game ever again.
I don't expect a KF coached team to have a defense that gets so gassed on a regular basis in 4th quarters ever again.

I'd give KF and his coaches a B- for in-game adjustments. But I'd give him an A for season-to-season adjustments.

Only reason it's not an A+ is because of Northwestern. And the only reason it's not lower than an A is because I'm giving Northwestern the credit they're due.

My only concern with the D is the up the middle runs that seemed to open up against TT, If they keep using Daniel's aggressiveness against him the middle could open up and give up some big gains, I do like our sideline to sideline coverage, we are much quicker to the ball in that regards!

As far as the offense goes, we'll score as many points as aggressive KF decides to be. We have the ability to score 30+ per game, but game situations change and when KF gets into conservative mode we've seen in the past struggling to score 20+ points.

As an ISU fan I don't see how the Clones will score more than 10 in this game. And Iowa has had no trouble scoring the last few years.

The ISU OL has some good film to improve upon. I'd chalk up a lot of ISU's "issues" in game one to OL-play and Jantz's first-game jitters.

I think that ISU is going to play a lot better against Iowa than they did against UNI.

The ISU OL has some good film to improve upon. I'd chalk up a lot of ISU's "issues" in game one to OL-play and Jantz's first-game jitters.

I think that ISU is going to play a lot better against Iowa than they did against UNI.

Of that I have no doubt. They are going to play very well in the FCS in the next few years.

Latest posts