Do Not Click On This Thread

Joshbrown

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/4-cy-hawk-myths-legislation-forced-series-renewal-20140912

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa–Iowa_State_football_rivalry

Like many sports rivalries, the Iowa-Iowa State series has witnessed its share of high-profile squabbles. The most prevalent myth lingers that state legislators forced the schools to play one another. If the legislature had passed any such law, the Big Ten might have suspended Iowa for lack of faculty control.

While legislators exerted their influence, the reason Iowa and Iowa State restarted their football series is because of an arbitrator’s ruling in 1971. It ended a two-year impasse between the schools that was palpable and historic.

Iowa’s board in control of athletics adopted policies in 1935, 1960, 1964 and 1965 to avoid facing Iowa State in any sporting event. Publicly, Iowa wanted to prevent disharmony among the state institutions. The real basis was high brow.

1-c93866fe01.jpg

Last edited:
We'll probably be playing the Clowns for another 100 years. It sure would help if Iowa State could build a winning program. Then the series would mean something.

Beating a 2-10 or 3-9 team gains you nothing. Losing to them is even worse. It is no different than playing a 2-10 Rutgers team. The win means nothing. The loss can kill your season..

Beating a 9-0 Michigan team or a 9-2 Nebraska team means a lot. You want to play the best and try to beat the best.

My quarrel with Iowa State is that they truly stink in football, year after year and coach after coach. Upgrade your program and then the game will mean something. It is a truly meaningless game right now

I keep seeing this rhetoric that iowa state is a lose lose game. as a cyclone fan i can agree to that especially lately. its been an especially rough stretch for us. im going to ask a really serious question that might seem sarcastic but i promise is not. Why hasnt the hawks since ferentz beaten iowa state consistently? iowa always and i mean always has more talent and better coaches. just never seems to transpire in the ferentz era. hell im frustrated for you guys. if iowa wants to to dump the iowa state game awsome! but if you struggle to beat iowa state what makes you think having better teams play you early is a good thing? iowa state is a poor loss ill agree to that.

Why hasnt the hawks since ferentz beaten iowa state consistently?

Its probably one of the most puzzling and frustrating things related to Iowa football in the Ferentz era, besides maybe their recent run of bowl losses.

However, I would throw Ferentz's first 4 years out the window. That was a monster rebuilding effort by Kirk, there's no question about it. Those first 3 Ferentz teams were astronomically bad. IMO Dan McCarney gets way too much credit for his success vs Iowa. He beat up on some really bad Iowa teams there in the beginning of the Ferentz rebuild.

Since 2002, Ferentz is 9-6 against Iowa State. That's not great, its not acceptable, but its worth noting. That 2002 loss to Iowa State was

If Iowa wins this year they'll have won 4 of the last 5, and 7 of the last 10...with all 3 losses being by 3 points. Meanwhile Iowa has destroyed ISU in quite a few of those wins. That's more in line with what I would expect to see.

Last edited:
I keep seeing this rhetoric that iowa state is a lose lose game. as a cyclone fan i can agree to that especially lately. its been an especially rough stretch for us. im going to ask a really serious question that might seem sarcastic but i promise is not. Why hasnt the hawks since ferentz beaten iowa state consistently? iowa always and i mean always has more talent and better coaches. just never seems to transpire in the ferentz era. hell im frustrated for you guys. if iowa wants to to dump the iowa state game awsome! but if you struggle to beat iowa state what makes you think having better teams play you early is a good thing? iowa state is a poor loss ill agree to that.
I have a question for you that is not sarcastic. Why for all the years Pollard, several coaches and all knowing cyfans claim they keep getting better, adding depth and have the right guy. Why do they suck decade after decade. Their best success since the 70's was with a former Hawk as coach. They're trying to resurrect the wrestling program using Hawks. Why don't they hire Greg Davis and start winning.

Not sure I known but kf always seems to have a hard time with some pre-conference teams he should beat, not just ISU. It's not an ISU thing, it's a kf thing.

Last edited:
I have a question for you that is not sarcastic. Why for all the years Pollard, several coaches and all knowing cyfans claim they keep getting better, adding depth and have the right guy. Why do they suck decade after decade. Their best success since the 70's was with a former Hawk as coach. They're trying to resurrect the wrestling program using Hawks. Why don't they hire Greg Davis and start winning.
honestly would like to get to the bottom of it lol. i think matt campbell is going in the right dircetion. then again coach rhoads seemed like he was on the right track to begin with too. so who knows really. however rough it gets im still a fan tho. and like to see both teams rep our state.