DJK could have been a leader

I'm not sure I'd go that far. For a couple years, DJ hadn't really matured, and needed to be muzzled a little. But the past year and a half marked a real transformation for him, and I feel like he did all he could to lead by example this year.

What would it have hurt. Maybe DJK would have been a real vocal leader but Ferentz didn't allow it. He should speak his mind now, what will it hurt.

I actually agree with this.

DJK was underutilized in every way, and the most incredible thing is he still owns every receiving record we have.

I actually agree with this.

DJK was underutilized in every way, and the most incredible thing is he still owns every receiving record we have.

Exactly, if DJK played for Michigan, Ohio St, PSU or any other program, I can guarantee you would have seen him in the wildcat formation. He would have been returning punts. He would have been utilized much more. KOK is a moron plain and simple. Sounds like there are several Pi$$ed off callers on Soundoff tonight.

Exactly, if DJK played for Michigan, Ohio St, PSU or any other program, I can guarantee you would have seen him in the wildcat formation. He would have been returning punts. He would have been utilized much more. KOK is a moron plain and simple. Sounds like there are several Pi$$ed off callers on Soundoff tonight.

Totally agree. He gets 12-14 touchs per game minimum with a good o-coordinator, especially on a team like Iowa that supposedly doesn't have any other "sexy players". Jesus, the rest of the country laid a blueprint for how to use a Wildcat type package to get playmakers the ball and Iowa doesn't any bother trying it? Sandeman returning punts over Koulianos? Only gets maybe a carry a game on a slow end around? It's hard to comprehend that the most prolific pass catcher in school history was still underused. But hay, he tried to talk to someone while wearing sunglasses and rumor was he even (gasp) wore his hat backwards! So for sure you ban a player like that from talking to people.

He was never given the opportunity. And don't buy the he doesn't want to speak to the media.

What's your scoop MCORF? This is about the 5th several-day-old thread you've bumped in the last hour or so, all about DJK and all hinting at some sort of deeper understanding. Are you a friend or relative or something?

Not trying to be a jerk...I'm asking honestly simply due to the 'tone' of your posts.

DJK would have been the type of leader in the middle of huddles yelling out chants/ect that you always see big time schools have and getting players hype.

Kirk didn't want it.

To answer your question, I read and appreciated Jon's senior day write-up so I decided to post my comments on this board also.

MCORF does have some type of long-standing relationship with DJK and has had good insight into everything surrounding him for a long time!

could have been a leader -- you cannot be serious. DJK is a very talented player, but it is obvious that there is a rift between him and KF. We will never know the real story, but my trust is in KF. Do you think a coach really wants to have to take a stance against a very talented player? Look how many NFL players Ferentz has coached at Iowa -- have you ever heard any player talk about KF being unfair. DJK hasn't never bought into the program and no one player is bigger than a program. What DJK doesn't fully understand is the KF opinion will go a long way in the draft status of DJK and he is ultimately costing himself $$$ by pushing the line. I would really like to know how good DJK could have been if he would have learned how to be the hardest worker on this team.

could have been a leader -- you cannot be serious. DJK is a very talented player, but it is obvious that there is a rift between him and KF. We will never know the real story, but my trust is in KF. Do you think a coach really wants to have to take a stance against a very talented player? Look how many NFL players Ferentz has coached at Iowa -- have you ever heard any player talk about KF being unfair. DJK hasn't never bought into the program and no one player is bigger than a program. What DJK doesn't fully understand is the KF opinion will go a long way in the draft status of DJK and he is ultimately costing himself $$$ by pushing the line. I would really like to know how good DJK could have been if he would have learned how to be the hardest worker on this team.

There may be some truth to what you wrote, however not even you can dispute that DJK was underutilized BIG TIME during his career. Like other's have posted, no Wildcat, how bout having him throw some passes out of the wildcat or on end around's? He was a QB in high school. Sandeman returning punts over DJK? That shouldn't be the case either. He was underutilized.

DJK had an opportunity to be a leader from the get-go. The problem is that he's NEVER stepped up to the plate in that capacity on the team. To him, he thought that he could lead enough just by his play on the field. However, the problem with that is that REAL LEADERSHIP is determined by how guys work OFF THE FIELD.

Thus, the point made by the OP is simply laughable.

I've heard enough from folks on the "inside" to know that DJK never stepped up as a leader as all of us would have hoped. In fact, I've even heard that DJK had had a negative influence in the locker room by some.

I find it hard to believe that muzzling DJK from the press prohibited him from being a leader on the team. Besides being talkative =/= being a leader.

However, I do believe we could have utilized his skills in a better fashion.

1) We could have found ways to unleash his return abilities. He's shown us what he can do with an open lane and some blocks on kickoffs. Yet we never tried him out on punt returns?

2) Could have worked with Stanzi to loosen him up a bit, and get that deep throw working. Stanzi had protection and often was up against secondaries that weren't that great. With dangerous WRs like McNutt, DJK, even Davis and Chaney, we could have opened up the playbook and found ways to utilize perhaps one of the better WR corps Iowa's seen in some time.

3) What do Paul Chaney Jr, Marvin McNutt, DJK, Nordmann, and Sandeman all have in common? They all had experience playing QB in high school. Now, that doesn't make them all QB superstars, but seriously... open up the playbook a little, will ya? I'm not 100% sure, but I've only ever seen a fake reverse/end-around pass twice from Iowa in recent history. Once in 2005 when Hinkel caught a pass from Solomon for a TD and earlier this year from McNutt to DJK (incomplete). I'm not calling for a fake reverse every other play or something, but do something...anything...to be a bit more unpredictable. When your fans can predict most of your plays for an entire series, it's not surprising when an opponent can, is it?

I find it hard to believe that muzzling DJK from the press prohibited him from being a leader on the team. Besides being talkative =/= being a leader.

However, I do believe we could have utilized his skills in a better fashion.

1) We could have found ways to unleash his return abilities. He's shown us what he can do with an open lane and some blocks on kickoffs. Yet we never tried him out on punt returns?

2) Could have worked with Stanzi to loosen him up a bit, and get that deep throw working. Stanzi had protection and often was up against secondaries that weren't that great. With dangerous WRs like McNutt, DJK, even Davis and Chaney, we could have opened up the playbook and found ways to utilize perhaps one of the better WR corps Iowa's seen in some time.

3) What do Paul Chaney Jr, Marvin McNutt, DJK, Nordmann, and Sandeman all have in common? They all had experience playing QB in high school. Now, that doesn't make them all QB superstars, but seriously... open up the playbook a little, will ya? I'm not 100% sure, but I've only ever seen a fake reverse/end-around pass twice from Iowa in recent history. Once in 2005 when Hinkel caught a pass from Solomon for a TD and earlier this year from McNutt to DJK (incomplete). I'm not calling for a fake reverse every other play or something, but do something...anything...to be a bit more unpredictable. When your fans can predict most of your plays for an entire series, it's not surprising when an opponent can, is it?

I have to disagree on pint #2. How many times did we see DJK not "run through" on routes, especially some deep balls? And how many times, in the 2009 Indiana game alone, did we see DJK "watch" an INT, rather than "turn DB" to thwart it?

MCORF,

How can you say DJK was never given the opportunity to be a leader? Leadership skills come from within and are developed thru working with your peers (teammates). If he didnt have the opportunity to do that, I have to believe it is his own fault.

Coaches dont appoint leaders, they come through on their own. Captains are elected by teammates as I understand it. Same with leadership committee. I have no idea if DJK ever served with that group or not but..

I have hard time believing that Kirk prevented DJK from being or becoming a leader.

DJK was certainly kept from being a "leader" by KF in the sense that DJK wasn't going to be able to shoulder blame through the media in the way that Ricky or AC do. He couldn't be a visible leader. But you're right, the leaders of the team come through on their own, as their teammates recognize them.

Latest posts