Dish network deal is important for all

Ozhawk

If btn and dish don't close then it could mean trouble for everyone. If direct is the only sat provider to have btn then they will no doubt turn the screws on the btn when their contract comes up for renewal. Knowing they are the only provider could do harm to the btn and the rest of us. Direct has had their squabbles in the past over networks as well. Could be bad for all. M

Dish isn't exactly doing great though. You don't see any one else having a problem with amc and this is the second network they are having trouble resigning.

If btn and dish don't close then it could mean trouble for everyone. If direct is the only sat provider to have btn then they will no doubt turn the screws on the btn when their contract comes up for renewal. Knowing they are the only provider could do harm to the btn and the rest of us. Direct has had their squabbles in the past over networks as well. Could be bad for all. M

It happens all the time. At least once or twice a year some station gets into a contract dispute with DTV. It'll undoubtedly happen with DTV when the BTN's contract is up. I'm not concerned about it because in the end it almost always works out.

It happens all the time. At least once or twice a year some station gets into a contract dispute with DTV. It'll undoubtedly happen with DTV when the BTN's contract is up. I'm not concerned about it because in the end it almost always works out.

And when that dispute arises I will call and complain and get sunday ticket for free again :D

You are forgetting that there are a lot of cable providers out there as well in addition to DTV.

Dish isn't exactly doing great though. You don't see any one else having a problem with amc and this is the second network they are having trouble resigning.

The other sat provider goes through the same dispute cycle. Both dish and direct have had these disputes multiple times over the last few decades.

You are forgetting that there are a lot of cable providers out there as well in addition to DTV.

Yes and many do not carry btn. You wouldve had to have been born yesterday to miss the mediacom BTN dispute 5 years ago. If I recall mediacom and dish failed to agree a few weeks into the season.

I would hope that the BTN never comes to disagreements with...

DirecTV. At the time the BTN was created, FOX was a minority owner of DirecTV, and FOX, at the creation of the BTN, either owned 49% or 51% of the BTN, I can't remember exactly how the percentages broke out. That was part of the beauty of the BTN is that they came out at announcement guaranteed being carried on DirecTV. Since then, FOX sold DirecTV to Liberty Media, which I believe has since spun DTV off into its own entity. I don't know how that impacts the BTN/DirecTV agreement, but I believe at the creation of the BTN the agreement with DTV was for a very long length of time, perhaps as much as 20 years. If I am off on the facts someone will correct me.

Dish's recalcitrance to carry the BTN at the creation of the BTN was the reason I switch to DirecTV, and couldn't be happier that I did.

Fox owned 49% of BTN at the start, and a year or two ago exercised an option to make it 51%.

The part that sucks is the timing. If this happened in May there wouldn't be such a squack. I, for one, am hoping this is all resolved before Sept 11th.

here is the thing. im a dish subscriber and it sucks to be looking btn, but its a channel that should really be on a sports package. 80% of the county could.probably care less about it. requiring it to be sent to all of them is nuts. where does it stop. soon we will have the B12 and sec networks. are they going to also demand they be on basic tiers? that means fewer quality channels for everyone.

here is the thing. im a dish subscriber and it sucks to be looking btn, but its a channel that should really be on a sports package. 80% of the county could.probably care less about it. requiring it to be sent to all of them is nuts. where does it stop. soon we will have the B12 and sec networks. are they going to also demand they be on basic tiers? that means fewer quality channels for everyone.

There is less than 15 quality channels right now as it is. Out of the 300 plus channels of crap I get now BFD.

It is on a sports package if you don't live in a Big Ten state and not in the basic tier.

A deal will get done at the 11th hour. It's all posturing at this point.

This was my thinking with the Dish/AMC squabble, and look how that turned out. Dish is really shooting themselves in the foot with these problems. Fortunately, I have DirecTV so I haven't had any problems.

Latest posts