Did we get an extra two points?

Mac50702

I was busy doing some work and I was not paying close attention to the game, but did we get two points when May got called for that charge where the UNI player was directly under the basket? I could have sworn that we were giving 2 points and it was never taken off?

they counted the hoop, but called the charge. it happens occasionally, although it usually in cases where it is clear that the ball left the shooters hand before the contact was made.

Oh, ok gotcha, I just seen the charge call and the score didnt change and didnt pay attention to anything else.

Yes, that play happened about 20 feet in front of me. The referee gave the "it's good" sign with his hand and then signaled that May had charged. A strange call, but it can be made.

May after the game said that the UNI player slid over into position AFTER May left his feet, which is supposed to be a blocking foul.

It really was a horrible call, but there were others.

The college game moves so fast that it is almost impossible for the refs to get them all right. The charge/block is the worst.

I would actually get rid of charging and blocking and allow players to run over a defender, ala rugby. The game would be much rougher but you would eliminate the discretion of the referee.

I thought the NCAA changed the rules last year so that you could not take a charge while under the basket, but failed to make an arc under the hoop like they have in the NBA, leaving up to the officials to determine if a player is under the basket. Did I dream that?

I thought the NCAA changed the rules last year so that you could not take a charge while under the basket, but failed to make an arc under the hoop like they have in the NBA, leaving up to the officials to determine if a player is under the basket. Did I dream that?
no, you are right.

Apparently the NCAA's rational for not putting the arc like the NBA is that it would create to much of a hardship to make the schools paint their floors. Not sure how much painting one line costs - seems like a stupid excuse.

So, the guy taking the charge on May was certainly under the basket. Just another in a night full of terrible calls by the zebras.

I thought that too.
The announcers stated that in high school and college there is no such rule, and ellaborated about how there should be.
So I assumed I was wrong, also assuming I dreamed that.

I don't know about college, but in HS you can't count a bucket if the shooter commits a charging foul. The act of shooting begins when the player leaves the floor and doesn't end until he returns, regardless of what the ball does. If the contact occurs in the act of the shot it negates any basket scored. If the contact occurs after the player returns to the floor (provided the ball goes in) it's ruled incidental contact since the contact occurs during a dead ball (the ball is dead between the time it goes through the rim and prior to when it gets inbounded).

I was suprised at that call as well.

I don't know about college, but in HS you can't count a bucket if the shooter commits a charging foul. The act of shooting begins when the player leaves the floor and doesn't end until he returns, regardless of what the ball does. If the contact occurs in the act of the shot it negates any basket scored. If the contact occurs after the player returns to the floor (provided the ball goes in) it's ruled incidental contact since the contact occurs during a dead ball (the ball is dead between the time it goes through the rim and prior to when it gets inbounded).

Very interesting considering in HS BB i have seen the same call the Ref made in the Iowa/UNI game on many, many occasions.

What if the player jumps, shoots, lands, then charges, then the ball goes through the basket?

What if the player jumps, shoots, lands, then charges, then the ball goes through the basket?

That would no longer be in the act of shooting and if the basket went through it would count. It would be similar to a ball from a shot bouncing around and around the rim when a player on the shooting team off ball pushes the defensive player while trying to get rebounding position.

Techinically it would not be a charge at that point be cause no team controll of the ball exists. It would be a push, count the bucket, and we are going the other way, unless we were in the bonus.

Very interesting considering in HS BB i have seen the same call the Ref made in the Iowa/UNI game on many, many occasions.

I'd be willing to bet it wasnt recently, and if it was the officials were 100% in error.

Latest posts