Did my ears deceive me or did Bobby Hansen...

SteveGarvey

say yesterday on the Murph and Andy show that the Hawks had a chance to challenge for a Big 10 title next year, provided Fran gets two good gets with the two openings for recruits?

I'm all for optimism and I know that Bobby works for the U of I but man, that's really drinking the Kool Aid.

Then again, Bobby knows himself some Hawk basketball so who knows?

say yesterday on the Murph and Andy show that the Hawks had a chance to challenge for a Big 10 title next year, provided Fran gets two good gets with the two openings for recruits?

I'm all for optimism and I know that Bobby works for the U of I but man, that's really drinking the Kool Aid.

Then again, Bobby knows himself some Hawk basketball so who knows?

Seems like a stretch. But if you look at the team that competed against Indiana, Mich St, Wisconsin... and add a quality big man and another point guard... there's the capacity for a lot more wins.

To clarify, I believe Murph asked him when he thought the Hawks would contend for a Big 10 title and he said something like "maybe three years. Heck maybe next year if they get the right two recruits".

I've always been a big BH fan so I'm not holding it against him and maybe he knows something we don't.

Seems like a stretch. But if you look at the team that competed against Indiana, Mich St, Wisconsin... and add a quality big man and another point guard... there's the capacity for a lot more wins.

When this team executes for 40 minutes it is competitive, coming very close to beating the top team in the country and coming within a missed basket of beating Wisconsin. Another solid recruit or two will turn more of the L's into W's.

Next year's likely too early. But two years? Three? Could be.

Heck, anybody can contend in any conference if they get the right two recruits. I like the optimism, but the statement really doesn't mean much.

When this team executes for 40 minutes it is competitive, coming very close to beating the top team in the country and coming within a missed basket of beating Wisconsin. Another solid recruit or two will turn more of the L's into W's.

Next year's likely too early. But two years? Three? Could be.

Definitely. Consider how we all felt coming into this year. Even though the W-L record is about what we expected...as the season progressed we got a glimpse of Fran's style of play AND that he can get a lot out of his players. They've come a long way with a limited roster in 4 months.

The future looks bright.

It's a case of who we return and who others lose. We are returning a great deal of experience. Many quality B10 players will graduate/leave early. Granted, some schools (O$U) will simply re-load when they lose Sullinger, but you can't underestimate experience. Fran knows what he's doing and he's not going to wait for 3 years. It will happen sooner rather than later (NCAA Tourney). Go Hawks

Heck, anybody can contend in any conference if they get the right two recruits. I like the optimism, but the statement really doesn't mean much.

Sure, the "right two" recruits as opposed to the "wrong two". In other words, if we get Michael and Scottie, heck even Collison and Heinrich we maybe got the right two. Next year if we don't challenge for a Big Ten that means we got the wrong two (or none at all).

Most teams are usually one or two players away from being really good or not so good. Basketball is that one sport that ONE player can make a difference. In the end Bobby speaketh the truth.

Last edited:
Sure, the "right two" recruits as opposed to the "wrong two". In other words, if we get Michael and Scottie, heck even Collison and Heinrich we maybe got the right two. Next year if we don't challenge for a Big Ten that means we got the wrong two (or none at all).

Exactly.

It's a case of who we return and who others lose. We are returning a great deal of experience. Many quality B10 players will graduate/leave early. Granted, some schools (O$U) will simply re-load when they lose Sullinger, but you can't underestimate experience. Fran knows what he's doing and he's not going to wait for 3 years. It will happen sooner rather than later (NCAA Tourney). Go Hawks

Also consider how senior heavy the Big Ten is. Having our young players getting invaluable experience now really helps. Is it optimistic to think we could have a chance, yes, but is it obsurd, no way.

If you look at the top schools everyone is losing their key players. Purdue is losing both Moore and Johnson. They keep Hummel but who knows what shape he will be in. Ohio State loses Lighty and Lauderdale. I'm sure Craft will stay, which he is a heck of a freshman point guard, and I'm leaning towards Sullinger declaring but who knows. He might stay another year. Michigan State loses Lucas and Summers. Illinois gets hit hard with the loss of Davis, Cole, McCamey and Tisdale. Other than those players they are fairly young with only one junior who has only played 4 minutes in his first three years. Minnesota has Nolen and Hoffarber leaving. So they keep their bigs, but have two of the best 3 point shooters leaving. Finally Wisconsin will have to re-load their big guys as Leuer, Nankivil and Jarmusz are leaving. Penn State loses their everything player in Talor Battle.

So really, Iowa is in a pretty good position. We know that if we play at the top of our game, we can play with the best teams in the conference. So we could be even better if we get a couple recruits that can help our depth and give our starters a few breathers throughout the game. I think our biggest loss with be in leadership rather than stats. We will desperately need to find a player to step into Cole's shoes and be a floor general after he leaves.

I would not expect Bobby to completely dismiss any chances of Iowa rising next year.
As Fran said earlier, you are never as far away as you think or the fans think...as Bobby said, with the right two guys adding to the mix, Iowa could be in the hunt as early as next year...in the hunt could mean a .500 Big Ten record at this point next year,in a conference that will probably have a leader that is not much better than that. Next year...look for more parity than ever in a wide open Big Ten minus about the top 15-20 players from this year. Big Ten takes a step back,and that helps Iowa.

To clarify, I believe Murph asked him when he thought the Hawks would contend for a Big 10 title and he said something like "maybe three years. Heck maybe next year if they get the right two recruits".

I've always been a big BH fan so I'm not holding it against him and maybe he knows something we don't.

I think you just answered your own doubts. The worst team in the country could compete for a conference championship with "the right two recruits".

Bobby was just saying that it can be a very quick turn around in basketball because you don't need a bunch of guys to suddenly improve a team...he wasn't drinking the kool-aid and predicting Iowa to jump into contention next season, just stating that Iowa's rise to contention could happen at any time, depending on how good the recruits are.

Iowa will return 3 of the top 13 returning scorers in the league, which includes Sullinger if he comes back.

I'm not saying that Matt Gatens is the reason for Bobby's optimism, but he is the reason Bobby thinks it won't take long...

I think Iowa should hit the JC programs and find the best big man that they can find. Someone that can take up space and be a little physical and tough. And a great shooting guard. You find those two and Iowa may have a good shot at winning a lot more games.

Latest posts