Did Marble move into POY contention?

franstheman

A week ago most people would have said Nik Stauskas would be their B1G POY. But he has struggled recently and on Saturday Marble destroyed him one on one. It was my understanding Devyn is most people's 3rd place choice behind Stauskas and Gary Harris. What about now?

It will all depend on the last few games as it has become a 3 man race. I give the edge to Harris and put marble ahead of stauskas because of the head to head game that will linger in people's minds.

It will all depend on the last few games as it has become a 3 man race. I give the edge to Harris and put marble ahead of stauskas because of the head to head game that will linger in people's minds.

^^This^^

Wins = POY consideration. Hawks need to keep on winning. DRM needs to continue to destroy people.

I think he's been in contention. As others have said...Both Marble and the Hawks have to continue to play well for him to have a chance. I do think he's at least getting his name penciled in as a 1st teamer by some with a vote. That's the 1st step IMO.

Marble's the most influential player on the team, no doubt. Depends. How well do the Hawk do? If Marble passes to the open look every now and again, and doesn't demand to shoot the ball during EVERY crunch time, Marble could be the player of the year in the B1G.

You have to lead your team down the stretch doing it all, scoring, assists, rebounds, steals, and overall defense. If plays like he did Saturday, he will be player of the year as we will win out. He needs to get on the NIT run with his play...he was making good decisions and was making everyone better during that run...against Baylor...not so much.

Have to tip my hat to Harris and MSU for not only leading the B1G, but doing so after losing two key players during league play.
Same to Staukas and UM, considering what they graduated/lost last year, and, McGary being hurt. Pretty impressive.
Honestly don't see Iowa duplicating the wins had the same thing happened to them....but who cares right?....final record is all that matters.

If Iowa wins out or goes 6-1 the rest of the way and Marble leads the team in scoring in all of those games, he's a strong contender for POY, could beat out Harris. But right now Harris has to be favored. I don't see Stauskas besting either of them. Besides, the B1G would never give the award to a Canuck. Would it?

Have to tip my hat to Harris and MSU for not only leading the B1G, but doing so after losing two key players during league play.
Same to Staukas and UM, considering what they graduated/lost last year, and, McGary being hurt. Pretty impressive.
Honestly don't see Iowa duplicating the wins had the same thing happened to them....but who cares right?....final record is all that matters.

Harris is the easy favorite right now. Iowa/Marble has to do two things to overcome that, IMO. An outright conference title is practically impossible right now, which leaves a tie with MSU as the only semi-realistic possibility for Iowa. If that happens, Marble has to have had a big game against Harris and keep Harris in check defensively. He'd have to clearly outplay him in that game, IMO, to get POY in the event of a tie. I'm thoroughly excited for that matchup, though. Izzo has said if Harris isn't the best player in the conference on both ends of the floor, God bless whoever is. On his best night, Marble can play at that level on both ends.

Marble's pretty streaky. Hard for me to see him being consistent enough to get there. Not a knock against him though, it's hard to be consistent against the best competition in the country.

Marble's pretty streaky. Hard for me to see him being consistent enough to get there. Not a knock against him though, it's hard to be consistent against the best competition in the country.

I don't really see him dropping 25-30 every night, but if he's at his best against Harris, the whole country will be in for a treat.

I don't really see him dropping 25-30 every night, but if he's at his best against Harris, the whole country will be in for a treat.

He won't and yep.

Marble disappears for a half often it feels like (not sure if other players do too though) but a lot of that could be because we have other players who do things on this team.

Marble's career as a Hawk is winding down. Gatens played very well at the end of his senior year. May played very well at the end of his senior year. Marble could make it 3 seniors in a row that leave a lasting impression in latter stages of their senior seasons. He also put up big numbers in the final game of his sophomore season (NIT loss) and in the NIT run his junior season. I think Marble is just getting warmed up...

Also, Stauskas (35 per game) and Harris (33 per game) have logged heavy minutes all season and look to be fading a bit. Marble is at 28 plus minutes per game. Yesterday Harris was 3-20 from the field and 0-7 from three and totaled 6 points. His last 5 games he's shooting 27-77 (35.1%) from the field, 11-36 (30.1%) from three and 11-20 (55%) from the line and the team is 2-3.

I'm just hoping Harris can continue to put up the numbers he did against Wiscy the rest of the season. That will really help our cause as they are a totally different team when he's struggling. That said, Payne looked very good yesterday.

Latest posts