Derogatory "Blame Game" Poll

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date

Who bears the brunt of the blame for our "melt down"? WHY??

• Coaches

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Players

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Both

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

Ian Pike Hammer

Welp, from the #2 ranked team in all the land to 13-6, 7-5 in the B1G, how the mighty have fallen. With nothing left to say, let's just add insult to injury. You damn right I'm pissed!

Coaches. They do not know how to sub. And it showed today. I am not a fan of sitting players with 2 fouls in the 1st half. That cost dearly today. We cannot adjust at half or on the fly. Stick to the GP, if there is one, and hope for the best.

Coaches sucked today.

majority is the players. Lack of hustle and intensity for rebounds is disgusting. Increasing amount of turnovers. And not just turning the ball over but the bone headed turnovers lately makes me hurl. Shot selection. Three pointers are great but all the missed lay ups are unreal. To me it looks as if they have just mailed it in. That they are hoping everyone comes back next year on the free year of eligibility and they can try again..

majority is the players. Lack of hustle and intensity for rebounds is disgusting. Increasing amount of turnovers. And not just turning the ball over but the bone headed turnovers lately makes me hurl. Shot selection. Three pointers are great but all the missed lay ups are unreal. To me it looks as if they have just mailed it in. That they are hoping everyone comes back next year on the free year of eligibility and they can try again..
Yeah, I'd say after today's loss, the thrill is all but gone.

Coaches.

We've seen these types of slides in the past with different players. The one constant is the coaching staff.

If the players are the limitation, then how can they have so much success through January? I feel the rest of the league adjusts to what we have and what we are doing, and the coaches have no answer for it.

Edit: Someone else mentioned the conference schedule being much tougher 2nd half. Which is true, but in 2015-16, Iowa swept MSU both games (they were ranked #1 first time we beat them) so that team reached #3 in January and didn't simply feast on an easy schedule. Those were legit wins, and the meltdown came later.

Last edited:
Look at the conf schedule. When all is said and done, teams at the bottom half came early, top half later.

Close games - could have lost MSU, Rutgers. Could have won Ill, @Ind.

Frustrating thing of course is when you have double digit 2nd half leads and don't win (Ohio St, @Ind).

Will agree with coaches 2 foul rule (@Ind). Nunge had 4 pt blank misses, Ind scored 3 hoops after rebounds where Iowa players knocked each other off the ball (never complain about effort), Ind scored 8pts in 45 seconds....

The officiating - watching replay - Garza got hit on the head 11 times in Ind game. Shot FT's twice.
Really wish college bball would go to 4 refs (like NHL) - I believe it would really clean up the game. When Big10 went to 7 refs for football - game got better.

Look at the conf schedule. When all is said and done, teams at the bottom half came early, top half later.

Frustrating thing of course is when you have double digit 2nd half leads and don't win (Ohio St, @Ind).

Will agree with coaches 2 foul rule (@Ind). Nunge had 4 pt blank misses, Ind scored 3 hoops after rebounds where Iowa players knocked each other off the ball (never complain about effort), Ind scored 8pts in 45 seconds....

The officiating - watching replay - Garza got hit on the head 11 times in Ind game. Shot FT's twice.
Really wish college bball would go to 4 refs (like NHL) - I believe it would really clean up the game. When Big10 went to 7 refs for football - game got better.
Couldn't see the game for various reason, but listened to it on the radio. The way Dolphin and Hansen described it, it was clearly an offensive foul. The Ind. player put his shoulder into the Iowa player and simultaneously pushed him away with his hand on his hip. The other officials didn't have the chicklets to overturn him and when Fran objected, got slapped with a technical. This, it turns out, was the difference-maker. I hope to watch the replay on BTN.

You want to really clean up the game? Have an official in an elevated spot at center Court, like in volleyball. I guarantee he or she would see things from that vantage point that officials can't see at ground level.

Latest posts