Denard Robinson or James Vandenberg, Who’s Better? - rantsports

HawkeyeHypnosis

Big Ten: James Vandenberg & Denard Robinson are Top Quarterbacks : Big 10 Football

From article:

The answer depends on who you ask, and what the goal is. If the goal is winning the B1G and going to the Rose Bowl, Robinson is the answer. If the goal is a future NFL career, the answer is Vandenberg.

Argument for Vandenberg

If you’re looking for the best drop back passer in the Big Ten, look no further than James Vandenberg. The senior looks to be the man, for a new look Iowa Hawkeyes offense under first year coordinator Greg Davis.

He’s coming off a solid junior campaign, completing 58.7 % of his passes, for 3022 yards, with 25 TD and only 7 INT.

With the extreme lack of depth and experience in the Iowa backfield, Vandenberg will be throwing it all over the field. 3800 yards passing is not out of the question.

Vandenberg is clearly the top NFL quarterback prospect in the B1G conference, and will only improve his stock with a standout senior season. At this point he’s probably a fourth or fifth round prospect, but could easily work his way up to the second or third round.

So Who’s Better?

If you’re just judging on what’s in front of these two players this year, in the situation they’re in right now, the answer is Robinson.

However, there’s always going to be a place for a guy like Vandenberg in the NFL. He’s the right build and type of quarterback that can be successful at the next level. Clearly he’s got a long way to go before he would be ready to play in an NFL game, but the potential is there.

Outlook

These quarterbacks combined bring a wide spectrum of talents to the table. Big Ten fans should sit back and watch both players, because they will be making entertaining plays all season long. These two will have a late season showdown in Ann Arbor on November 17, which could decide who wins the Legends division…

Last edited:
These writers are such hacks. He just copied this from my Fearless Predictions 2012 Thread. HN has a huge following of "lurkers" which is another name for "Sportwriters".

The will steal anything of merit on this board.

Denard is like a less accurate Mike Vick, he's certainly been more dynamic, but he hasn't beat Iowa yet. Michigan usually has a better supporting cast though.

Re: Denard Robinson or James Vandenberg, Who�s Better? - rantsports

pretty crazy to have the 2nd best qb in the big 10 and everyone is still assuming we will have this bad of a season.

Vandenberg had a lot of help last year with McNutt catching his passes, lets see how he does this year, Keenan has the stuff to be a good playmaker but I'm not so sure he has what McNutt had last year.

Denard is like a less accurate Mike Vick, he's certainly been more dynamic, but he hasn't beat Iowa yet. Michigan usually has a better supporting cast though.

Comparing and athletic, black QB to Vick is one of those highly overused analogies in football.

The fact is though, we have the goods, and other teams and fan bases are becoming aware. We could pick up some swagger if we can get through the first five games. JVB's stats "could" be huge by then. it might not determine the next 7 outcomes, but it certainly will help our own confidence going into league play.

Bottom line is the media hacks aren't talking about taylor martinez or msu's and wisky's qbs this time.

Comparing and athletic, black QB to Vick is one of those highly overused analogies in football.

How many white QB's display that kind of athleticism, particularly at the NFL level? It's overused, but Vick has long been the only real reference point. No white QB has had that kind of athleticism, and few black QB's have, either. Vince Young and Cam Newton were/are similar players, but they aren't really like Vick. They were big, strong, fast runners.

But Vick, RG3, and Denard are all shorter, quicker, and faster runners. And Denard is a lot like the college/early NFL Vick: tantalizing athleticism, shaky passing. RG3 is a much better passer with just as much athleticism. But Vick is the best guy to compare him to.

Just because you're tired of an analogy doesn't mean it isn't an apt one.

Re: Denard Robinson or James Vandenberg, WhoÂ’s Better? - rantsports

Vandenberg had a lot of help last year with McNutt catching his passes, lets see how he does this year, Keenan has the stuff to be a good playmaker but I'm not so sure he has what McNutt had last year.
This has long been my contention as well. Vandenberg has benefited greatly from Marvin's ability to make a play on any ball. If he continues throwing the ball off target we are going to struggle mightily. I hope I am wrong and he demonstrates he is as good as people keep saying he is, I just don't know that that's the case.

Vandenberg is a better QB. Robinson is a better college football player. That's the answer

I'll do you one better - Robinson is the better ATHLETE. Contain him and force him to throw, then he's suddenly pretty average/mediocre. As a passer, I will take Vandenberg all day.

I'd take JVB any day.....assuming we're throwing the ball at least 40% of the time. Yes, DR is by FAR the better athlete....but if you can't throw the ball well, likely you're not gonna have the kind of success (teamwise) that you could with a true passer.

Denard Robinson is the QB that will be drafted for punt/kick returns and has the potential of being a Welker type if his hands don't turn into bricks!

Vandenberg had a lot of help last year with McNutt, and Davis dropping his passes, lets see how he does this year, Keenan has the stuff to be a good playmaker but I'm not so sure he has what McNutt had last year.

Fixed it for you.

These quarterbacks combined bring a wide spectrum of talents to the table. Big Ten fans should sit back and watch both players, because they will be making entertaining plays all season long. These two will have a late season showdown in Ann Arbor on November 17, which could decide who wins the Legends division…Yes please.

We are a better team with JVB.

They are a better team with DR.

Both QBs match their team's current offensive philosophy well. Our current offensive philosophy is more similar to prototypical NFL standards, though we're seeing a gradual shift in the NFL now.

As mentioned earlier, they're both (JVB & DR) apples of a different variety.

Latest posts