Defense in the 1968 UCLA-Houston game vs today

uihawk82

Watch clips or some of the 1968 game online and check out how little contact there was back then. Defense was position and footwork vs clutch and grab. Rob Howe's 3 threads about Ralph Miller's teams reminded me of how I watched some of this older basketball just a few years ago and I did not remember how beautiful the game was then.

I really do not think the game is as fun to watch from a skill level as it was back then. For a long time now offensive players have been getting manhandled, grabbed, bumped, bellied up when they are shooting. I can still remember watching Sam Williams and Willie McCarter, John Johnson and Fred Brown at Vets and a couple times in Iowa City being able to more or less dribble up and down the floor without being bodied left and right, being able to come around a screen without being majorly bumped or grabbed, and being able to purely show your skill.

You are right on the $$$, 82. I would add that officiating criticism has increased substantially with the changes in how the game is played/officiated. Sad.

You can go back even as recent as the late 80s and still find free flowing offense. Heck, in 88-89, Iowa avg’d over 90 points for the season.

This whole defensive philosophy started in the NBA with guys like Pat Riley with the Knicks and Chuck Daly with the Pistons in the late 80s/early 90s. It crept into college basketball shortly thereafter and guys like Izzo, Bo Ryan, Dick Bennett, etc became disciples of this brand.

Until the NCAA starts to hold officials truly accountable, it’ll never change. The NBA started cracking down on it about 10ish years ago and it’s enhanced their product tremendously. Unfortunately, the college game hasn’t followed suit.

You can go back even as recent as the late 80s and still find free flowing offense. Heck, in 88-89, Iowa avg’d over 90 points for the season.

This whole defensive philosophy started in the NBA with guys like Pat Riley with the Knicks and Chuck Daly with the Pistons in the late 80s/early 90s. It crept into college basketball shortly thereafter and guys like Izzo, Bo Ryan, Dick Bennett, etc became disciples of this brand.

Until the NCAA starts to hold officials truly accountable, it’ll never change. The NBA started cracking down on it about 10ish years ago and it’s enhanced their product tremendously. Unfortunately, the college game hasn’t followed suit.

Yeah, I saw that 3rd Davis team in 88-89 play at Drake. Drake was decent but the hawks were so fast and fluid and quick with the ball that they were getting jump shots and layups off the fast break before Drake could really get into their offense. I sort of doubt that Drake was playing much close, physical defense at that time but it is more fun to watch offenses be able to move and use their skills while not being mugged. I can still see BJ just motoring down the court with the ball even after made baskets and hitting guys with passes who were ready to shoot.

Didn't find video of UCLA - Houston game, but here's a video of the 1968 All American team with some highlights. It was a different game then.

Latest posts