Declining Penalty Risky

wally59

This may may sound to be a bit petty but I believe it goes to the heart of the coaches game day decision making IQ. Late in the first half Ohio State had a 4th and goal at the one yard line. I was somewhat surprised that Tressel decided to kick a field goal as I put their odds at about 80% they would score if they went for it. Ohio State on purpose received a game delay penalty in which our Coaches declined. For being such conservative coaches why would you take that type of risk. By leaving it at the one yard line Tressel might have changed his mind and went for it which certainly would not be the case if we had accepted the 5 yards. What are the percentages differences of missing a field from the 8 yard line versus the 13 yard line. Not enough in my book.

This may may sound to be a bit petty but I believe it goes to the heart of the coaches game day decision making IQ. Late in the first half Ohio State had a 4th and goal at the one yard line. I was somewhat surprised that Tressel decided to kick a field goal as I put their odds at about 80% they would score if they went for it. Ohio State on purpose received a game delay penalty in which our Coaches declined. For being such conservative coaches why would you take that type of risk. By leaving it at the one yard line Tressel might have changed his mind and went for it which certainly would not be the case if we had accepted the 5 yards. What are the percentages differences of missing a field from the 8 yard line versus the 13 yard line. Not enough in my book.

The only coach more conservative than Ferentz is Tressel. OSU had already called timeout and switched to the field goal unit. Tressel wasn't going to change his mind, again. If you recall, Meyer missed a FG at Indiana because of the sharp angle. So, I get the decision.

Interesting point. At the game, we are all wondering why the ball did not move. That would be the reason. That is dumbfounding to me as well.

That was a totally standard call to make. OSU almost certainly took the delay on purpose to make the kick easier.

Had the ball been centered on the field, you take the penalty and push him back 5 more yards - but not from the hash. The extreme angle makes the shorter kick more difficult, so you decline it and force the kicker to make it from the angle.

That was a totally standard call to make. OSU almost certainly took the delay on purpose to make the kick easier.

Had the ball been centered on the field, you take the penalty and push him back 5 more yards - but not from the hash. The extreme angle makes the shorter kick more difficult, so you decline it and force the kicker to make it from the angle.

This

You make my point, it is little more difficult how much more is hard to quantify. By declining the penalty it might alter Tressel's decision to kick a field goal and instead and go for it. Why subject yourself to that risk. What if he changes his mind because we decline and goes for it and gets a touchdown what would you be saying today. It always better to limit their options.

You make my point, it is little more difficult how much more is hard to quantify. By declining the penalty it might alter Tressel's decision to kick a field goal and instead and go for it. Why subject yourself to that risk. What if he changes his mind because we decline and goes for it and gets a touchdown what would you be saying today. It always better to limit their options.

IMO at that point the way our defense was playing at the time I think he made the right decision by taking the "guaranteed" points. And Tressel's game calling as well as the sideline pouting by Pryor made it pretty clear that regardless of the spot they weren't going for it.

With Tressel, it's a very safe bet that he won't change his mind in that situation.

Latest posts