Dead Time

Most commonly in Iowa meets are on golf courses, some are on college courses (in NW Iowa that would be Dordt), and once in a while you'll get a true "cross country" course. West Lyon runs their event around Lake Pahoja in Lyon county every year which has hills, sand, goes through trees on actual trails, etc. In my view that's what a true cross country course is.

As far as spectating, there's a few different ways. Some people follow their runner from turn to turn (easy on a golf course because they run down fairways so you just cross the fairway perpendicular to the hole), some people set up at a spot somewhere along the course and stay there, and some people set up at the finish line. Most courses the starting gates are pretty close to the finish, so what I do is walk over to watch the start and hit a stopwatch on my phone when the gun goes off, because I know within just a few seconds what my son runs a 5K in. That way I know pretty much where he's at in the race distance-wise.

I personally don't chase the race. I get nervous as hell for some reason so I watch the start and then go about 200M from wherever the finish line is to cheer my son on as he goes by and kicks to the finish (and his teammates). Because I start a stopwatch on the phone I know within a handful of seconds when he'll be coming by. Once the race is over I walk down to the finish where everyone is gathered to look at times, places, etc, and talk to my kid and his teammates. I know most all of them from me being a coach at our school.

The nervousness thing is weird for me because I'm not that type of guy. I never get nervous coaching, didn't' have a problem with it when I played sports, and even coaching my kid I don't get nervous when he's up to bat or whatever. Cross country is the only thing that happens in...I have no explanation. I get super worked up so I purposely walk away after the start and I make it a point to never watch any of the middle of the race. Essentially I see the start of the race and the last 45 seconds or so.

Having said that, everything about the experience is super chill and it's soooooo much nicer to watch than football, basketball, or baseball. All the coaches, parents, and runners from all teams are super friendly and encouraging to one another, there's lots of hugs and high-fives, and congratulations between everyone. My kid has made great friends with runners from other teams which you don't typically see in other sports. I never knew there was such an inviting and supportive community in high school sports...I wish I'd have gotten into it earlier. There's no aggro, alpha male shit going on.

Also don't want to leave out that it's not just one race you get to watch. In Iowa there's a junior high 1 or 2 mile race depending on where you're at, and then there's a JV girls 5K, JV boys 5K, Varsity girls 5K, and lastly Varsity boys 5K. There's plenty to watch. Grab your lawn chair, take a cooler of food and drinks, and just chill out under a tree somewhere. If I were you I'd go to one even if you don't have kids running to check it out and support your school. You'll have fun.

They have legit cross country tracks down here and there are huge trail running events for adults. I got roped into doing a mud trail race with my son and had to bail because it was so tortuous on my bad knee but my son ended up going solo and winning his age group. I wasn't with him and I'm pretty sure he cut the course, but whatever, the kid was out there banging it by himself at 6 years old in a race with over 1000 people.

They have legit cross country tracks down here and there are huge trail running events for adults. I got roped into doing a mud trail race with my son and had to bail because it was so tortuous on my bad knee but my son ended up going solo and winning his age group. I wasn't with him and I'm pretty sure he cut the course, but whatever, the kid was out there banging it by himself at 6 years old in a race with over 1000 people.
Iowa has effectively zero public land or facilities because of crop and animal use, so golf courses are super convenient. It's the one large area that almost every school district has close by.

Iowa has effectively zero public land or facilities because of crop and animal use, so golf courses are super convenient. It's the one large area that almost every school district has close by.

My home town of Hampton IA used to use the golf course, but Franklin county has maintained this cool tract of land south of Hampton. All sorts of XC meets are held there including a recent conference meet.

Nail on the head.

And if they're going to change them, Washington Football Team and Cleveland Baseball Club were perfectly suitable. Commanders and Guardians are two of the stupidest sports names in history.
I did hope they kept it as the Football Team just shove it up people's asses.

My home town of Hampton IA used to use the golf course, but Franklin county has maintained this cool tract of land south of Hampton. All sorts of XC meets are held there including a recent conference meet.
Sioux Central's XC meet is held at the Sioux Rapids golf course, but it's gotta be my favorite to watch. It starts and ends in the same place and is super hilly. The course starts with a severe downhill off the first tee box into a valley with a less-severe uphill back to the main elevation of the golf course, which means it's an absolute killer of a hill to finish. You actually cross the finish line climbing. I've been there for two meets now and many a high schooler has run 4,900 meters only to bail out on that last hill. My kid is 6'2" and only weighs about a buck and a half with a 36" inseam...so it's perfect for him. Those long legs and light weight help a ton. He loves it there.

I'd be puking most likely.

Sioux Central's XC meet is held at the Sioux Rapids golf course, but it's gotta be my favorite to watch. It starts and ends in the same place and is super hilly. The course starts with a severe downhill off the first tee box into a valley with a less-severe uphill back to the main elevation of the golf course, which means it's an absolute killer of a hill to finish. You actually cross the finish line climbing. I've been there for two meets now and many a high schooler has run 4,900 meters only to bail out on that last hill. My kid is 6'2" and only weighs about a buck and a half with a 36" inseam...so it's perfect for him. Those long legs and light weight help a ton. He loves it there.

I'd be puking most likely.
I always wondered how they seeded or ranked XC runners throughout the year since every course is different. And for regionals and state, do they let the kids run the course first?

I always wondered how they seeded or ranked XC runners throughout the year since every course is different. And for regionals and state, do they let the kids run the course first?
In Iowa high school XC is divided up into districts like football, there’s no seeding or rankings. It’s 100% based on the last meet of the year which is your district qualifying meet. Your district is geographically assigned by class (there are eight 1A districts in the state, and five districts each of 2A, 3A, and 4A). Top 16 runners at each district meet go to state, and the top 3 teams at each district meet go to state. You can qualify for state as part of your team, as an individual, or both. Boys and girls are same.

The regular season has zero bearing on state qualifying. The district meet at the end of the year is the end all/be all because like you said every course is different and there’s no way to objectively compare times.

There’s no statewide seeding. If you have bad luck and wind up in a district that’s super fast it’s just tough luck. No back door qualifying like there is in track. If you happen to have a bad night or ate some funky take out food for lunch that day and got a puky stomach it’s tough shit.

The state meet is always in Fort Dodge and has been since ‘93. You are not allowed to walk or run the course beforehand, if you get caught you are DQ’d

I ran 5/10k's until my mid fifties. Ran four Dubuque Grandview Gallops (4 miles). My pre race routine was always the same. Arrive an hour before race time. Grab my packet with my swag and shoe tag (for chip timing) and take swag back to car. Spend a few minutes hobnobbing with others. T minus thirty minutes get in porta potty line. 25 minutes out make it to Porta potty. Stretch at 20 minutes. Head to starting area at T minus 10 minutes. Then time to rock and roll.

I ran 5/10k's until my mid fifties. Ran four Dubuque Grandview Gallops (4 miles). My pre race routine was always the same. Arrive an hour before race time. Grab my packet with my swag and shoe tag (for chip timing) and take swag back to car. Spend a few minutes hobnobbing with others. T minus thirty minutes get in porta paddy line. 25 minutes out make it to Porta paddy. Stretch at 20 minutes. Head to starting area at T minus 10 minutes. Then time to rock and roll.
20min 5K and 42min 10K....did I guess your decent times about right?

20min 5K and 42min 10K....did I guess your decent times about right?
In college your were pretty close to my 5k times. My 5k's were 25-27 minutes in my forties, 29-32 in my fifties. 10k's generally around 50 minutes. Best Grandview Gallop time was around 33 minutes.

Races I never got to run were the Madison 5 mile Crazy Legs that ended inside Camp Randall, and the Quad Cities Bix.

I ran a 21 min 5K at Iowa once called the Rabbit Run. My best time in a 10K was 43 mins, in college for both. Saw a guy who ran the 10K in wingtip shoes and black socks. Those were the daze.

Doesn't the football team still have spring practice going on or is that over already? Is there going to be a spring scrimmage or whatever for the public this year?

Latest posts