Darien Porter

C-lab

Is this kid from Bettendorf worth another look if you are Iowa? Especially if Bell goes elsewhere?

Appears that after week one, we still have a need for speed and tall WR threats. Porter is a good track star and plays for a good football program.

Already committed to Iowa State for 2019 class. Let's be honest, they have generally done a good job recruiting WR. Any rumblings that Iowa may still get involved and he would be interested?

That's a great question. I think we could use him. He's the highest rated WR in the state for 2019 by a wide margin.

The fact that he's in our backyard and we haven't even show interest, let alone offered makes me think we don't want him. I remember somebody on another site saying he is EXTREMELY raw and quite a project.

Iowa State will admit anyone for football and Men's basketball that qualifies by NCAA rules. It is in the coaches contract and USA has published it for 3-4 years now as an odd clause in the contracts. Iowa will not do that. The LB ISU got from Cedar Rapids- Iowa looked at but did not even go to the admissions office as they knew there was no way he would ever be admitted to Iowa. It may or may not be that type of issue. No idea.

So let me see if I have this right ...

Academics ... check
Size ... check
Speed ... check
Proximity to IC ... check
State/National Rating ... check

Seems odd we have not offered him yet, but maybe that is coming.

I saw him at the Under Armor camp in Chicago during April. As others have stated, he's raw. He's still more of a track guy. ISU is banking on the potential.

I saw him at the Under Armor camp in Chicago during April. As others have stated, he's raw. He's still more of a track guy. ISU is banking on the potential.

Maybe the coaches are held back by the recent WR we recruited as a raw track star that ended up leaving the team. I can't remember his name, but I'm sure someone on here will.

Emmanual Ogwo from Texas. He ended up running track here for one year and is now at TCU.

After watching the performance of our WRs the first 2 games ... and the lack of separation ... I think I'd take a chance on a raw track star. We are supposed to be a development program anyway.

How are Porter's stats this year?

It's clear that Iowa doesn't see the potential in Porter that an ISU or Nebraska have by not offering, but they've also shown they're below average (and that's putting it politely) at evaluating the position.

Latest posts