Credit Ken O'Keefe for a clever last play call!

troy

Credit Ken O'Keefe for a clever last play call! With Moeaki in motion, attention was diverted towards Tony, clearing the left side for Marvelous Marvin McNutt to securely snag Stanzi's sure strike! Simply sensational! Sorry, Sparty!

It was a good play call but he only made up for the two terrible sequences he called on both goal line attempts that were unsuccessful. Very good play call though, the only one that counted.

Credit McNutt!! In the post-game interviews it was noted that Marvin, the ex-QB called/lobbied for the play during the timeout on the sidelines...

That game was the maestro's tour de force. It was the cherry on top of the sundae that has been O'Keefe's brilliant career. I liked the way that he baited MSU all game, let them stay close, knowing that the team with the ball last would win. Then, Norm, true to form, gave up a touchdown in the closing minutes to try to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. As usual, Ken, bailed Norm out again. Norm is starting to remind me of a Wall Street banker, and Ken reminds me of Uncle Sam. "Ken, I got into a mess and need your help."

Brilliant game by Ken, even more impressive given the fact that Dace and Colin went down with injuries.

Also, credit MSU too. They ran the play that beat Purdue in '02 on the 1st play from the 7 yard line and MSU had that sniffed out.
________
Avandia Settlement

Last edited:
Credit McNutt!! In the post-game interviews it was noted that Marvin, the ex-QB called/lobbied for the play during the timeout on the sidelines...

Here's my take:

First, McNutt did not "lobby" or "call" the play. Here's the quote from Marvin in the GAZ,
"The last couple times I ran a fade. I told coach that he was playing off me and on the outside.
I told him (KOK) I could win on the slant. He (KOK) trusted me enough to call the play where I was isolated on the slant. And we won.â€￾

As with any good coach, KOK listened to his player(s). As McNutt said, the prior fade routes got the defender to cheat (my word) to his outside shoulder, thus making the slant a good percentage call.

Now, I doubt KOK said at this point, go do what Marvin said and do your best to make it work....GO Hawks. You guys figure out the formation to run the slant out of and you guys decide if motion is needed, etc.

Now KOK did his coordination after taking in the suggestions from Marvin. First, look how the formation set was called, expecting a blitz. Moeaki was lined up the line and Marvin off the line. Moe stepped back before motion and Marvin then stepped to line, thus ensuring Marvin could step to the defender and position the defender to his outside shoulder for the slant.

Aagin expecting the blitz and knowing the middle would be open, Moe's motion took the defender out of Marvin's route first and by stopping behind the right side of the line, he kept that same defender out of Strosses' slant route, the alternative read.

IMHO, kudos to McNutt and kudos to KOK for listening and then designed the slant for the players to put them in the best position to make it work.

Good job, team and coaches.