Covid-19 and forfeitures

WestCoastHawk

Why aren't teams punished when they have to forfeit a game due to Covid-19 in their organization? I can't think of a better incentive to follow protocols than having it affect them in the polls. Gonzaga should not be receiving as many first place votes as they are since they had to forfeit a game due to Covid. This should be reflected in their loss column. Thoughts?

Be careful what you wish for............who knows if/when we might have to forfeit a game. Besides, I would rather have a chance at a #1 team than a team that just dropped in the polls and are super pissed because they dropped due to Covid...............

Why aren't teams punished when they have to forfeit a game due to Covid-19 in their organization? I can't think of a better incentive to follow protocols than having it affect them in the polls. Gonzaga should not be receiving as many first place votes as they are since they had to forfeit a game due to Covid. This should be reflected in their loss column. Thoughts?

The games are being cancelled as opposed to forfeit which is the biggest reason. I don't have an issue with that as I think programs are doing what they can. That said, I have a major issue with teams who don't have covid cancelling OOC games. I'm sorry but in my opinion that is where the forfeit should come into play. If you don't want to risk getting Covid then shut it down for the remainder of the season. It's not fair to those teams that are on the schedule to have to find cancel games simply because it's ok to risk the health and wellbeing of one's players for conference games, but not for OOC games.

It’s hard to argue that point considering the teams that Gonzaga has defeated. If they were ranked #1 and haven’t played then I would agree. They still have a better case for #1 than we do.

These cancellations will come back to bite the Gonzagas, Houstons, and SDSUs of the world because they won't have many (if any) Quad 1 wins at the end of the season. Gonzaga needs Iowa more than the other way around especially after the Baylor game was called off--Iowa (if they win), Kansas, and maybe WVU would be Gonzaga's only Quad 1 wins. Meanwhile, Iowa will have gobs of opportunities.

I, too, am frustrated by the teams that cancel contests due to Covid among their own. However, this virus is so wildly contagious that the variables involved in contraction are off the charts. Airborne is next to the impossible to control.

You can't punish the teams. You want every incentive for a team to have tight protocols and to abide by rules to cancel to try to prevent spread. Imagine the black eye and potential liability if some team risked it and played Duke and gave The Germ to Coach K and he died. That would not be a good look and if the conferences or NCAA was using cancellations as a stick against a team that had an outbreak, the legal ramifications could crater a conference or the entire association.

Latest posts