Couple sobering thoughts

BSpringsteen

Since 2004, we have finished 7-5 or worse in 5 of 7 seasons.

If you take away Div 1AA and MAC teams, Iowa is 11-11 over the past two seasons, including the bowl games.

There is no doubt that the program is stagnant and in desperate need of a shot in the arm.

I would say we are not back, were not moving forward, we are standing still.

I have a feeling ferentz and the coaches are going to bust some @ss this off-season and get this team back to 9-3 and 10-2 seasons.

I have a feeling ferentz and the coaches are going to bust some @ss this off-season and get this team back to 9-3 and 10-2 seasons.

The team returns 12 starters, with one coming off a ACL and one on suspension. You think that is a recipe for a 9 win season?

Also, Rhabdo is still looming. Don't expect too much a** busting.

Sobering numbers indeed. Nothing new here, but some changes need to be made within (i.e. coaches, recruiting philosophy; in-game coaching) ... Right now we are simply an average football team. With the exception of the Michigan win (and that was big) we really were fortunate to garner 7 wins ... What is missing is that in year's past Iowa always improved as the season wore on ... This year and last ... not the case ... Against Oklahoma we looked flat for three quarters. Too many times recently we have watched Iowa play uninspired football ... And that is frustrating ... I really do hope Kirk hires the best two coaches ... And does not "promote" within simply out of loyalty. We need to fill those positions with the best coaches we can find ... Next year is crucial for Kirk ... Another 7-5 season won't cut it ... We have had very favorable schedules last year and this year; and, 2012 is favorable as well ... But you can't lose to the Minnesotas and Iowa States of the world ...

So please tell me what we are supposed to do about it. I'm sick of these posts. Instead of ******** why don't you tell me what we are supposed to do. Boycott games? Stop donating? Kidnap Steven Ferentz and force Kirk to leave if he wants to see him again? Kirk is locked into a contract for 8 more years, and unless some big ******* booster decides to pony up some cash, Kirk isn't going anywhere. Iowa football isn't a democracy, and we don't get to vote for a coach every four years. Stop ******** and get behind the team and hope they pull out of this mess.

As long as the coaches themselves are "bust(ing) @ss", I am OK with that. The players are playing hard, but the coaches have been failing to bring in the necessary skilled players, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Hopefully our new DC will rejuvenate our recruiting and get the bodies in place to return Hawk Football back to its rightful place. :)

So please tell me what we are supposed to do about it. I'm sick of these posts. Instead of ******** why don't you tell me what we are supposed to do. Boycott games? Stop donating? Kidnap Steven Ferentz and force Kirk to leave if he wants to see him again? Kirk is locked into a contract for 8 more years, and unless some big ******* booster decides to pony up some cash, Kirk isn't going anywhere. Iowa football isn't a democracy, and we don't get to vote for a coach every four years. Stop ******** and get behind the team and hope they pull out of this mess.

1. If Gary Barta decided that we needed a new coach, money would not stop him. To pretend otherwise is to believe ******** hyperbole that is thrown around by people who don't really know what they are talking about.

2. We aren't supposed to do anything about it. Unless you are on the payroll, it isn't your responsibility.

3. The point is, are we headed in the right direction or the wrong direction, or is there no direction? That's what we discuss here.

1. If Gary Barta decided that we needed a new coach, money would not stop him. To pretend otherwise is to believe ******** hyperbole that is thrown around by people who don't really know what they are talking about.

2. We aren't supposed to do anything about it. Unless you are on the payroll, it isn't your responsibility.

3. The point is, are we headed in the right direction or the wrong direction, or is there no direction? That's what we discuss here.

Totally disagree with your first point. Contracts are contracts. He's owed money. And unless Kirk decides to retire or jump ship, Iowa owes him. There is no way an AD is going to cut him unless there is large donor providing the financial backing to do so. Our only hope is one of two things, either Kirk decides to move on, or Kirk decides to pull his head out of his *** and get this team back to the 02-04 and 08-09 run. Otherwise we are stuck with this.

Totally disagree with your first point. Contracts are contracts. He's owed money. And unless Kirk decides to retire or jump ship, Iowa owes him. There is no way an AD is going to cut him unless there is large donor providing the financial backing to do so. Our only hope is one of two things, either Kirk decides to move on, or Kirk decides to pull his head out of his *** and get this team back to the 02-04 and 08-09 run. Otherwise we are stuck with this.

I know we'll owe him money, the point is that coaches are fired all the time, and their contracts are bought out all the time. It is highly unusual for a coach to have less than 4 years on their contract because of the potentially negative impact it would have on recruiting.

Memo Just In: This is a message board about Iowa football, so it is quite likely people will talk about the aforementioned topic. Since KF apparently does not think we fans are smart enough to see the plethora of issues that need fixing, he opens himself up for some criticism. Maybe be like Mccaffrey and call a spade a spade instead of the 24-7 spin cycle.

Thanks for your attempt at being the thought police.

So you are saying we should keep drinking the kool-aid? Kirk has been at Iowa 13 years ... I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years and have been an Iowa fan for 30+ years ... So I (or the thousands of other fans) should not share concerns we have with the direction the program is headed? Who said anything about not being behind the team. I have been behind the Hawks (through good and bad) for 30+ years ... Does not mean we can't share concerns or voice our frustrations on a MESSAGEBOARD. Every fan on here wants to see Iowa succeed and get the ship headed in the right direction.

But we are seeing a pattern of late that warrants conversation. Why are we losing to lesser opponents? Why are we not progressing throughout the season? Why are we coming out flat so often? Why are we struggling on the road? Why are have we had several player departures? The fans are the ones who drive the program. We buy the tickets and the merchandise.

I (and the majority of others on this board) will always support the Hawks. But that does not mean we can't enter discussions when obvious concerns are becoming more prevalent within the program. To look the other way and say nothing is the last thing fans should do ...

Memo Just In: This is a message board about Iowa football, so it is quite likely people will talk about the aforementioned topic. Since KF apparently does not think we fans are smart enough to see the plethora of issues that need fixing, he opens himself up for some criticism. Maybe be like Mccaffrey and call a spade a spade instead of the 24-7 spin cycle.

Thanks for your attempt at being the thought police.

Wassup butthurt? Nice to see you trolling threads I post in.

So you are saying we should keep drinking the kool-aid? Kirk has been at Iowa 13 years ... I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years and have been an Iowa fan for 30+ years ... So I (or the thousands of other fans) should not share concerns we have with the direction the program is headed? Who said anything about not being behind the team. I have been behind the Hawks (through good and bad) for 30+ years ... Does not mean we can't share concerns or voice our frustrations on a MESSAGEBOARD. Every fan on here wants to see Iowa succeed and get the ship headed in the right direction.

But we are seeing a pattern of late that warrants conversation. Why are we losing to lesser opponents? Why are we not progressing throughout the season? Why are we coming out flat so often? Why are we struggling on the road? Why are have we had several player departures? The fans are the ones who drive the program. We buy the tickets and the merchandise.

I (and the majority of others on this board) will always support the Hawks. But that does not mean we can't enter discussions when obvious concerns are becoming more prevalent within the program. To look the other way and say nothing is the last thing fans should do ...

For Gods sake somebody read my post and comprehend it. We're ******, I realize that. I'm not happy with 7-6. I sat through all the home games and personally watched both then ISU and Minny debacles. I want somebody to tell me what we are supposed to do about it. What can I, the individual fan that donates just enough a year to maintain my seats, do about the lack of effort by the coaching staff? ******* and moaning only gets you so far. You guys want change, tell me how. Tell me how we are supposed to usher in this new era of awesomeness everybody is wanting.

Sobering numbers indeed. Nothing new here, but some changes need to be made within (i.e. coaches, recruiting philosophy; in-game coaching) ... Right now we are simply an average football team. With the exception of the Michigan win (and that was big) we really were fortunate to garner 7 wins ... What is missing is that in year's past Iowa always improved as the season wore on ... This year and last ... not the case ... Against Oklahoma we looked flat for three quarters. Too many times recently we have watched Iowa play uninspired football ... And that is frustrating ... I really do hope Kirk hires the best two coaches ... And does not "promote" within simply out of loyalty. We need to fill those positions with the best coaches we can find ... Next year is crucial for Kirk ... Another 7-5 season won't cut it ... We have had very favorable schedules last year and this year; and, 2012 is favorable as well ... But you can't lose to the Minnesotas and Iowa States of the world ...

You mak some good points, but I disagree with this one. Iowa was unfortunate to lose 5 games (6 in the bowl). To me, this coulda/shoulda been a 9-3 team. You hit the nail on the head with ISU and Minnesota. Those two should of been wins and this team should of been 9-3.

Saying this, my goal isn't to moan and complain and pretend the Iowa season was something it wasn't. They had an OK year and nothing more. But my goal is to say that Iowa fans shouldn't be in such a panic mode. It shows that the fanbase demands a lot out of the team, which is great. But the sky isn't falling. In fact, Iowa had a lot things go wrong in that bowl game, and still were trailing by a touchdown late, against the consensus #1 team in the country preseason. I think they should get a new offensive coordinator and a great D coordinator hire too. In my opinion, KOK gets the least out of the most as any offense I know. But Iowa is still a good program right know.

In my experience living almost 60 years, you either get better or you get worse. Nothing stays the same.

Iowa FB will either get better or it will get worse. I think the Iowa coaches can coach, so it comes down to recruiting and then keeping those players and helping them get better.

I think Iowa gets better but it will take two or three seasons. Patience will be hard for a very spoiled, impatient Iowa fan base living in the electronic "I want it and I want it right now" generation.

In my experience living almost 60 years, you either get better or you get worse. Nothing stays the same.

Iowa FB will either get better or it will get worse. I think the Iowa coaches can coach, so it comes down to recruiting and then keeping those players and helping them get better.

I think Iowa gets better but it will take two or three seasons. Patience will be hard for a very spoiled, impatient Iowa fan base living in the electronic "I want it and I want it right now" generation.

So we have to sit through 4-5 seasons of mediocrity to have a season or two of success? I don't think our fanbase is anymore spoiled than any other team that pays their coach top 10 money. I can handle one year of mediocrity, two is pushing it. If this team wins 7 games next year, I have to wonder why we couldn't have paid another coach big time money to come in and win games?

You are corect. We are locked into KF for the foreseeable future whether we like it or not. Barta was a moron for signing KF to such a long term deal. Such security can breed complacency. I really wish we had a FB version of Fran.

In my experience living almost 60 years, you either get better or you get worse. Nothing stays the same.Iowa FB will either get better or it will get worse. I think the Iowa coaches can coach, so it comes down to recruiting and then keeping those players and helping them get better.I think Iowa gets better but it will take two or three seasons. Patience will be hard for a very spoiled, impatient Iowa fan base living in the electronic "I want it and I want it right now" generation.

I think this is all pretty accurate. They have recruited some solid players at the skill positions in the last two or three years, but so many of them have left. Wegher, Hampton, Brinson, Arob, Grant, ect. And then the dline attrition has been such a problem too. The coaching staff needs to focus on improving the attrition at these key positions (I think the departure of Kaz is a step in the right direction). Retention of key players and solid recruits is imperative at Iowa and especially at these two positions.
Also I dont want anybody to say every school suffers attrition, yes I know they do, but most schools (sans GA this year) dont expirience the bulk of attrition at two such key positions in their schemes.
This is a problem and needs to be improved on by the coaching staff.

Latest posts