Could Archie make a difference?

StickUP

I'm not saying you should take off the redshirt, but I would like to know how much he will help the team next year.

I hate to say this without having seen him play, but judging strictly by his stats at the juco level, which is all I can do since I've never seen him play: He averaged something like 6.7 ppg last year. I hate to say it, but I find it doubtful that the 6.7 ppg would convert to something better in the Big Ten. He might help on the defensive end or on the glass, but we definitely need help on the offensive end of the floor as well. It would seem that Archie is limited in that regard..

If he is healthy, he should play, plus experience gained now benefits him ( and the team ) for next year. He would be able to work out and prepare for what he went up against, helps him identify weaknesses and build upon strengths. Also,a redshirt only screws up the balance with the rides, and that is serious issue, as their is a huge need for both PG and a big guy.

Whatever ability he has, it would be more effectively deployed next season if he had played and gotten some kind of experience this season.

I hate to say this without having seen him play, but judging strictly by his stats at the juco level, which is all I can do since I've never seen him play: He averaged something like 6.7 ppg last year. I hate to say it, but I find it doubtful that the 6.7 ppg would convert to something better in the Big Ten. He might help on the defensive end or on the glass, but we definitely need help on the offensive end of the floor as well. It would seem that Archie is limited in that regard..

No:eek:

I think the decision to redshirt Archie has more to do with the fact he is coming of a serious shoulder injury and a bout with pneumonia. I highly doubt he is in any kind of shape to play DI basketball right now. I have no problem with Lick redshirting him, trying to develop him for next year as he gains his strength back. Nobody can really say it will mess with the balance of the classes, because you never know in any program who is going to make it to campus and who will leave. You have to make decisions with the information you have at the time!

I would hope he could. But sounds like due to injuries and sickness that he isn't in playing shape and the coaches must not think he can get in playing shape or help the team this year or they would surely not redshirt him. Brommer has shown some life and improvement so maybe they can afford to rs Archie this year. He probably wouldn't be such a difference maker that it matters anyway. But it does change the recruiting numbers in the future. If he played this year and next then his slot would be open for the class of 2011 to come in. Right now there is only one opening for that class, unless someone transfers.

I am glad to see Brommer get some playing time the last two games. I would like to see him develop into an inside player that can be counted on for some good minutes!

Here we go. I forgot that Lick tries to make players worse according to some of you!!!

Gee, I didnt see that written anywhere, are you reading what is written or what you want to see? To the point, where has there been any development to point to? With this year's team, who has made major strides? Any strides?

Gee, I didnt see that written anywhere, are you reading what is written or what you want to see? To the point, where has there been any development to point to? With this year's team, who has made major strides? Any strides?

There have actually been posts on here that says Lick actually makes players worse....yes I have seen them, you have too, and it's absurd! Is there really any reason to even try to discuss any improvement with you as you will just disagree with whatever I say. So what's the point?

BTW....here's a thread that has posts on how Lick makes the players worse. You even posted in the thread. You most have overlooked that post in the thread???
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/2724-player-development-under-lick.html

Another thread I remember specifically was an update on Ben Brust. A poster asked why he would want to come to Iowa, because Lick would only make him worse within two years or something along those lines!

So I guess to answer your question, yes, I am reading exactly what is written!

Last edited:
I guess things are a bit slow in Cambridge at this time of year (unless you try to sneak a cell phone into the county court house), allowing for plenty of time to explain to the rest of us how to fix the Hawk's problems. Notwithstanding scoring droughts, I think our big challenge is to figure out how to defend the interior against bigger, stronger, more experienced teams. All the BT games have been layup and dunk festivals. Until we start shutting down the lane, its going to be grim. Notwithstanding, it still amazes me that so much time is devoted to the Dump Lick campaign. It ain't going to happen, things will improve, and that's the way it is.

I guess things are a bit slow in Cambridge at this time of year (unless you try to sneak a cell phone into the county court house), allowing for plenty of time to explain to the rest of us how to fix the Hawk's problems. Notwithstanding scoring droughts, I think our big challenge is to figure out how to defend the interior against bigger, stronger, more experienced teams. All the BT games have been layup and dunk festivals. Until we start shutting down the lane, its going to be grim. Notwithstanding, it still amazes me that so much time is devoted to the Dump Lick campaign. It ain't going to happen, things will improve, and that's the way it is.

You can't play defense and stop dribble penatration when your permeiter players have no foot speed. Further complicating things is our bigs neither have foot speed nor the ability to jump and block shots. We have the least amount of foot speed of almost any major conference team.

Coach them up all you want but the athletic limits of this team will prevent them from playing good defense.

There have actually been posts on here that says Lick actually makes players worse....yes I have seen them, you have too, and it's absurd! Is there really any reason to even try to discuss any improvement with you as you will just disagree with whatever I say. So what's the point?

BTW....here's a thread that has posts on how Lick makes the players worse. You even posted in the thread. You most have overlooked that post in the thread???
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/2724-player-development-under-lick.html

Another thread I remember specifically was an update on Ben Brust. A poster asked why he would want to come to Iowa, because Lick would only make him worse within two years or something along those lines!

So I guess to answer your question, yes, I am reading exactly what is written!
I have to wonder about your reading comprehension skills, as I still dont see where I mentioned that he makes them worse. And, beyond that, I dont see where you address where he has actually made a player(s) better( why mention the whole team, as we see in the game W/L record that that isnt happening ). So, while you need to dig into other threads, why not stick with the thread on hand and address the content within.

Latest posts