Correlation between poor on-the-field performance and off-the-field problems?

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
Maybe it's just me but anyone else feel like there is a correlation between poor on-the-field results followed by off-the-field problems? Just remember 2005-2007 the results on the field weren't great and had numerous off-the-field problems during this time as well. Maybe they just get amplified because of the results. Your thoughts?

It certainly did not help Ryno.

I dont think we will ever know the extent this stuff played, DJK just didnt get it, even as a senior and that stinks because he is a good kid.

Injuries were certainly big, Adrian was never the same after the Wisc. lineman rolled up his leg and AC will never admit the impact that had on him. He wasnt 100% the rest of the season.

Well yeah...if the guys aren't focused on winning, or don't care about the season any more, they'll be more prone to focusing their attention elsewhere.

In Iowa's case, maybe, but usually, off field issues= good results on the field. Look at the great Oklahoma, Miami, Florida teams.

Hell, Oregon had their fair share of issues/ arrests off the field this year besides James and Masoli (Thomas was in Masoli's car when he got poped for weed), and they are in the national championship game. If I remember right, there were quite a few arrests with Iowa right before the 2002 season, and during the 2003 and we had a great team...

As sad as it is to say, sometimes you need to take a chance on an questionable athlete to get to the next level, and just pray they don't get caught for 4 years.

There really wasn't that many off the field issues. Most of them were before the season. The team really didn't have issues until November. I don't think its fair to plan the on field issues all on off the field issues. Mostly injuries and not making key plays. Iowa makes a few more plays on the field and its a completely different season.

I do not think for one second that it is unfair to examine and have this line of thinking.

The problems that could have existed...... which is speculation.....but so is saying there is "lack of execution"..... nobody really can pinpoint it to one particular issue....

but some of the problems could have been as simple as guys not going to class.... being late to meetings or practice..... not doing the workouts correctly...... selfish attitudes....... bickering amongst players about the play calling which just leads to a poor environment and attitudes....... maybe players are having family issues...... maybe problems with their gf's..... maybe a players performance was poor because of an issue with a gf......

these are kids. Like it or not. Do not let there imposing physical presence fool you. Spend some time around a 19 year old athlete- they're not men yet just because they play in stadiums with 70,000 people. sorry.
Human elements come into play.

just a number of things that would never "come out" in the media or a press conference.

There are so many things that go on day to day that we would never be able to wrap our brains around.

Latest posts