Copycat Recruiting: Iowa Offers, Others Follow

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
An article in the Grand Island (Nebraska) Independent newspaper ‘verbalizes’ what Iowa fans have come to learn through the years; when Iowa offers an offensive line prospect, other offers are going to follow…and soon.

Such was the case for Zach Sterup, a 6-9, 265-pound offensive lineman from Hastings. In this story, Sterup and his high school coach say the following:

“I thought it was going to be pretty unique, especially that early,†Sterup said of the Iowa offer from January. “Then he (Iowa OL Coach Reese Morgan) told me that usually when they offer somebody that early, especially a lineman, then some other schools will offer just because Iowa offered. He tried to brace me for it.â€

Then this from Sterup’s coach:

“When Iowa really got on the board early, I think other people began to kind of notice and follow along, too,†Tesmer said. “And the coaches at Iowa told us that was probably going to happen.â€

They say immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well, I guess you have that, however this is a phenomena that Iowa fans have been following for years.

Iowa has a sterling reputation of finding diamonds in the rough and an even better reputation of developing those players into elite performers.
Bob Sanders, Robert Gallery, Bruce Nelson, Marshal Yanda, Sean Considine, Dallas Clark, Brandon Meyers, Mitch King, Matt Kroul, Chad Greenway, Kyle Calloway, Scott Chandler, Bradley Fletcher, Brett Greenwood, Karl Klug…I could go on and on but I am getting to the point of overkill.

Included in those names are a former NFL Defensive Player of the Year, a few All Pro’s and more…

I question I have often wondered is if these kids are getting the most out of their talent and/or work ethic if they choose to go someplace other than Iowa?

I’ll admit that sounds arrogant..however, it’s tough to refute the job Iowa has done in identifying talent and then developing that talent. There are close to 40 Ferentz-era Hawkeyes in the NFL right now. Every starting tight end at Iowa under Kirk Ferentz has been drafted. Nearly 10 Ferentz era offensive linemen have been drafted, as have four linebackers. Numerous defensive backs from the Ferentz era have been drafted, including back to back cornerbacks in the past two drafts.

The players I listed above did not come out of high school with blue chip pedigrees; in a lot of ways, these guys were ‘muts’ if you will…players that few BCS programs paid any attention to, but players that came in with a chip on their shoulders and bought into the Iowa philosophy.

The hard part is to communicate that to players each year in a way that doesn’t come off overly negative, as I have not heard any negative recruiting stories connected to the Iowa staff.

We have seen the evidence, the coaches know the truth, but how do you tell an 18 year old kid that if you come to Iowa, you are going to get the absolute most out of your ability due to the resources and personnel that are there to assist you, and it’s better there than some of the other schools that are trying to convince you of the same?

No, Iowa doesn’t have the market cornered on player development, but when you read what NFL executives have to say about how they view Iowa players when evaluating their possible draft choices, the kids that come from Iowa get bonus points, because they know the road those players had to go down to get on the field at Iowa and be successful.

In the case of Sterup, after Iowa offered, the usual regional suspects showed up, as offers came in from Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota and…wait for it…WISCONSIN.

Big shocker there, right?

I have joked through the years when HawkeyeNation.com was as part of the Scout.com network that Bret Bielema, a former Hawkeye player and assistant coach under Kirk Ferentz, had a subscription to our site just so he could keep tabs on whom the Hawks were offering.

The thing is, I guarantee they had a subscription to Scout.com and Rivals.com…all staff’s do…Former Miami coach Larry Coker was notorious for offering scholarships based off of Rivals.com star rating system; he was fired.

At Iowa, it’s not about the stars, it’s about superior talent evaluation and then talent development. More Iowa players were drafted this past April than any other Big Ten team. Iowa has had 10 players drafted in the past two drafts and will probably have another 10 drafted in the next two drafts.
Stanford is sniffing around now, and USC and Oregon are too, for this 2nd team All State player from Nebraska.

How much of that is due to Iowa getting involved with him in January?
You won’t convince me that it’s purely a coincidence. After all, football coaches know good talent evaluators when they see them, and they have a laundry list of how well Iowa has done in that department.

Perhaps Iowa needs to send them all a bill for due diligence services?

Last edited:
Re: Iowa Offers, others follow for 6-9 OL

Why does Wisconsin even have recruiting coordinators on their payroll? All they do is come in and offer kids after Iowa does. They could probably save a few bucks by cutting recruiting staff.

It is unreal how many times this crap happens! In Basketball too!!!

I think recruits respect that Iowa is their first schollie offer a lot of times you hear guys talking about Iowa offered early. It's great as far as respect, and glad to see Iowa tells kids what is going to come. Just a tribute to the staff.

I think recruits respect that Iowa is their first schollie offer a lot of times you hear guys talking about Iowa offered early. It's great as far as respect, and glad to see Iowa tells kids what is going to come. Just a tribute to the staff.

agree. Lets just say you were them and you saw Iowa offer some kid you haven't even looked at. Trust me you will now. At least i would

I hope this kid notices what school was the first to offer him a scholly and believe in him.

DaDynasty -

You don't need to start worrying until Iowa starts offering a bunch of new prospects on the OL. We just got a commit from Blythe and we missed on a bunch of other guys who were on our board (Hanratty and Springman) ... and yet we still haven't sent out an offer to a quality guy like Flavin. That tells me that the Hawk coaches have a lot of confidence in their chances with the guys who are still on our recruiting board.

While nothing is a guarantee ... I really wouldn't be surprised if Iowa ends up landing Walsh and Sterup to finish off our 2011 OL recruiting class. I initially thought that we might take 4 O-lineman in this class ... however, by how the coaches appear to be approaching things. It really looks like they're going to try to just get 3 high-quality guys and leave it at that.

Homer,

I dont track offers but my guess is more OL will be offered after the June camps. Iowa staff like to observe players in person to see how they meet the skill sets required. How DL use their hands, footwork,etc. I dont know all the keys.

The number of OL taken may depend on what happens with the two DL with test score issues. If they dont make it, Hardy may stay at DL and they will recruit more OL.

As I remember it, Calloway got his offer at camp in 2005. Vier got his last year at TE/QB so wouldnt be surprised if an OL gets offer after camp.

Not really worried. I'm just saying, in general, I hope these kids notice who was there for them in the first place, and the school with a great track record for developing their talents.

Homer,

I dont track offers but my guess is more OL will be offered after the June camps. Iowa staff like to observe players in person to see how they meet the skill sets required. How DL use their hands, footwork,etc. I dont know all the keys.

The number of OL taken may depend on what happens with the two DL with test score issues. If they dont make it, Hardy may stay at DL and they will recruit more OL.

As I remember it, Calloway got his offer at camp in 2005. Vier got his last year at TE/QB so wouldnt be surprised if an OL gets offer after camp.

SLarew -

Yeah, you're right. It definitely still is possible that the coaches might be willing to take on 4 OL ... especially if they see the "next Calloway" during the June camps. However, that said, I still think that it is rather telling that Iowa hasn't offered more midwestern guys on the OL yet. If the coaches weren't confident in their chances of landing the guys they've already offered, there are several quality guys who they probably could and would have offered already.

Also, I also think that you're right about Carl Davis and Donavan Johnson too. I'm sure that the coaches were probably anticipating that if they successfully got those guys onto campus along with Hardy, they'd probably be able to eventually move at least one of them over to the OL. That would then relieve some of the burden on OL-recruiting.

As it is, they're clearly picking up their DE recruiting ... and that tells me that they're probably trying to hedge their bets if they have to keep Trinca-Pasat at DT. If they have to keep him there ... that means that they then have to reload more at DE.

SLarew -

Yeah, you're right. It definitely still is possible that the coaches might be willing to take on 4 OL ... especially if they see the "next Calloway" during the June camps. However, that said, I still think that it is rather telling that Iowa hasn't offered more midwestern guys on the OL yet. If the coaches weren't confident in their chances of landing the guys they've already offered, there are several quality guys who they probably could and would have offered already.

Also, I also think that you're right about Carl Davis and Donavan Johnson too. I'm sure that the coaches were probably anticipating that if they successfully got those guys onto campus along with Hardy, they'd probably be able to eventually move at least one of them over to the OL. That would then relieve some of the burden on OL-recruiting.

As it is, they're clearly picking up their DE recruiting ... and that tells me that they're probably trying to hedge their bets if they have to keep Trinca-Pasat at DT. If they have to keep him there ... that means that they then have to reload more at DE.

What do you think our chances are with Lynch?

What do you think our chances are with Lynch?

I think that a lot depends on whether he intends to commit early or not. Right now Kelly has a pretty nice "hype machine" that he can exploit in recruiting. Also, right now Lynch is pretty clearly a ND lean. If Lynch waits, if Iowa continues to play great D, and if Notre Dame's D continues to be underwhelming ... then I see Iowa as continuing to have a fair shot.

If Lynch commits early ... then I don't think that that necessarily bodes well for Iowa.

Latest posts