Connor just bear hugged the ball with one second left, no shove

uihawk82

If the illini coaches thought they saw Connor elbow or shoulder the guy who was hacking him with one second left then that is their problem for thinking they can see through two players bodies. Connor was getting hacked and shoved, Connor had two hands and arms around the ball and got a bit out of balance and barely bodied the illini player.

The refs knew the game was over and didnt want to call a foul and the game was over once Connor got the ball. illini players were bad losers. Was that the same illini player who was just suspended for stomping another player?

It was bush, Fran had the cooler head and acted accordingly. I know I’m just as shocked as you are

Just got home reading up about the dust-up at the end, missed it. Sat in a thicket of Ilanoy fans. Heard a lot of pos and negatives, they were both critical and positive about their seven foot freshman. A lot were waiting for Fran to have a meltdown, one observing on that last T/O “Fran going off his meds” which I chuckled at,Fran was giving it to the team. They acted liked they owned the place and fully expected to win. Glad Iowa sent ‘em packing. It’s hard to underscore how physical this game was. Wiese and CJ were held on almost every play. Illinoy were setting moving picks all game and climbing Iowa’s backs. Iowa on the other hand did a lot of reaching especially inside helping out Garza. Iowa played their game and Fran drew up some brilliant plays. The three refs were just not able to keep up with the game.

Just got home reading up about the dust-up at the end, missed it. Sat in a thicket of Ilanoy fans. Heard a lot of pos and negatives, they were both critical and positive about their seven foot freshman. A lot were waiting for Fran to have a meltdown, one observing on that last T/O “Fran going off his meds” which I chuckled at,Fran was giving it to the team. They acted liked they owned the place and fully expected to win. Glad Iowa sent ‘em packing. It’s hard to underscore how physical this game was. Wiese and CJ were held on almost every play. Illinoy were setting moving picks all game and climbing Iowa’s backs. Iowa on the other hand did a lot of reaching especially inside helping out Garza. Iowa played their game and Fran drew up some brilliant plays. The three refs were just not able to keep up with the game.
Think this is a good assessment of how the game was handled. It was a very physical game and both teams had calls that they were guilty of that were missed. I think Illinois got away with more grabbing and holding when Iowa was on offense. It was good to see that Iowa didn't give up and kept running their sets and forcing Illinois into some tough situations.

Connor said there wasn’t any barking between the players. It was between him and a ref for not calling the fouls when Illinois is trying to foul. The refs have to call it to diffuse the situation.

Connor said he didn’t know why Illinois decided to hack away with four seconds left but if they do, the ref has to call it.

He did point out directly that it was the same ref in Ames last year and he allowed that to escalate.

He is right 100% on both statements.

Considering JW and CJF we’re getting two handed grabbed and humped coming off every stagger or baseline set - guys kept their focus just fine.

Connor got walked to the end of Iowa bench after the ball punch by Mike Eades - hey Mike just call an effing foul. I don’t care if there’s only two seconds left. Do your goddam job.

F the refs and certainly F Illinois.

I thought the asst coach was upset at the dunk with 10 seconds to go to put Iowa up ten.

In sports now, everyone is so offended when a team that's winning "shows up" another team. Don't flip your bat when you hit a home run, don't throw the ball for a TD when you're up 17 late in the 4th quarter, don't dunk when you're up 8 with 12 seconds left.

Another team dunked on us earlier this year-can't remember which team now-when they were up at the end and I wasn't the least bit offended. Just guys celebrating their win, deal with it.

At the end of games, for example when Iowa is up 7 with 2 seconds left and Conner is just holding the ball letting the clock run out, why don't the officials move in to protect the player from the defender, similar to the way football officials step in front of a QB taking a knee? What does the Illini defender want to accomplish in that situation? Pad his stats with a steal, maybe get a cheap 2 points?

I get that officials don't want to call another cheap foul to extend the game, but I've just never understood why letting the defenders keep punching at the ball when the opponent is clearly just standing their with it to run out the last few seconds.

Then why in the hell did Underwood call a timeout with 4 seconds left?
Coaches sometimes will call what are obviously pointless TOs. I've always wondered why they do that. That one ranks right up there with it too. No clue why they called that. None

At the end of games, for example when Iowa is up 7 with 2 seconds left and Conner is just holding the ball letting the clock run out, why don't the officials move in to protect the player from the defender, similar to the way football officials step in front of a QB taking a knee? What does the Illini defender want to accomplish in that situation? Pad his stats with a steal, maybe get a cheap 2 points?

I get that officials don't want to call another cheap foul to extend the game, but I've just never understood why letting the defenders keep punching at the ball when the opponent is clearly just standing their with it to run out the last few seconds.

This may be a good time to look at a rule in the last 30 seconds or so that lets a team keep taking the ball out of bounds after fouls if that team thinks they have a big enough lead. It is much quicker to end the game when a team is leading by 10 for them to take the ball out of bounds again to run clock than have them shoot 2 free throws.

In sports now, everyone is so offended when a team that's winning "shows up" another team. Don't flip your bat when you hit a home run, don't throw the ball for a TD when you're up 17 late in the 4th quarter, don't dunk when you're up 8 with 12 seconds left.

Another team dunked on us earlier this year-can't remember which team now-when they were up at the end and I wasn't the least bit offended. Just guys celebrating their win, deal with it.

It's a show that the fans paid for too. I think a last second dunk at home looks way better than a last second dunk on the road.

Latest posts