Concerns? Hawkeye ticket-buyers have a few

Thanks for posting.

However, that article did not offer any solutions, or really even pinpoint a problem. It was really just a recognition of a fog of complaints that most people already knew existed. Not sure what the takeaway should be. The author needs to hone in a bit more, take a position, and garner support for said position.

BTW--"Gazette"... Is that the best name they could come up with?

Thx for posting. I like the way Hlas presented it with quotes and stories from fans rather than just saying what he had heard. The tailgate crackdown is a constant complaint. I hope the brass is happy with their decision to make a push a couple years ago. I really enjoyed being able to walk from tailgate to tailgate mingling whilst beering. I have a beer belt that I'd carry my beverages in, and was quite mobile. I wasn't über drunk and barfing all over the place or acting a fool. Just out for a good time. The air out there now for game days is pretty stale.

I have a lot of the same complaints so I usually only do about three games a year. It's still fun though.

It makes me sad.... I really hope there are some changes soon. However with the big big tv money and commecialization of everything that's who Barta has to keep happy. The little people who buy the tickets voices aren't as important to listen to now. Only way they'll make the correct changes is if they either get a heart or they get hit in the pocket book. I lean towards the latter having to happen...

I don't know if there's anything I enjoy more than going to IC on gameday in the fall. There's just something about it and I'll love it until the day I die. It has changed a bit however and the biggest problem - which seems to be the central point of the article - is that the AD seems to have put making the almighty $ as the #1 priority for games, sacrificing integrity, tradition and fans in the process. The only way to get their attention is to speak with our wallets. I for one don't think that makes us fickle as fans but rather more loyal. It shows that we don't like this over-commercialization and exploitation of us fans and we will not be taken advantage of (unlike a certain group to the West).

Thanks for posting.

However, that article did not offer any solutions, or really even pinpoint a problem. It was really just a recognition of a fog of complaints that most people already knew existed. Not sure what the takeaway should be. The author needs to hone in a bit more, take a position, and garner support for said position.

BTW--"Gazette"... Is that the best name they could come up with?

It was originally the Evening Gazette started in 1883 and then they dropped Evening. Still going strong.

It was originally the Evening Gazette started in 1883 and then they dropped Evening. Still going strong.

and this from 1899

We ventured out via motor car along the newly competed US highway 6 toward our ultimate destination, Iowa City. Upon arrival we matriculated through the crowd and found a tall slender gentleman with a long mustache who was serving spirits from behind his wagon. We imbibed again and again. Soon we were delirious with joy and began our jagged and indirect journey toward the football arena. A dreadful thick bearded man sat next to us. The smoke from his cigar was fair but his breath was as a two day old corpse. Soon old corpse breath produced a flat bottle of some sort of brown spirit. I dare say it was a brief moment before he was shoving it in my chest.

I don't know if there's anything I enjoy more than going to IC on gameday in the fall. There's just something about it and I'll love it until the day I die. It has changed a bit however and the biggest problem - which seems to be the central point of the article - is that the AD seems to have put making the almighty $ as the #1 priority for games, sacrificing integrity, tradition and fans in the process. The only way to get their attention is to speak with our wallets. I for one don't think that makes us fickle as fans but rather more loyal. It shows that we don't like this over-commercialization and exploitation of us fans and we will not be taken advantage of (unlike a certain group to the West).

Barta is a yes-man, a glad-handing corporate hack.

You are the "little people." You'll take your diminished, increasingly restricted gameday "experience" and you'll like it. If you want to have the full experience, you're gonna have to buy a suite in the pressbox.

That's the way these things work. It's like flying. They squeeze and squeeze until you revolt. But they know that most people will just sit back and take it. So there's no revolt.

It's commonly referred to as "servicing the customer."

and this from 1899

We ventured out via motor car along the newly competed US highway 6 toward our ultimate destination, Iowa City. Upon arrival we matriculated through the crowd and found a tall slender gentleman with a long mustache who was serving spirits from behind his wagon. We imbibed again and again. Soon we were delirious with joy and began our jagged and indirect journey toward the football arena. A dreadful thick bearded man sat next to us. The smoke from his cigar was fair but his breath was as a two day old corpse. Soon old corpse breath produced a flat bottle of some sort of brown spirit. I dare say it was a brief moment before he was shoving it in my chest.

great stuff there.

You are the "little people." You'll take your diminished, increasingly restricted gameday "experience" and you'll like it. If you want to have the full experience, you're gonna have to buy a suite in the pressbox.

That's the way these things work. It's like flying. They squeeze and squeeze until you revolt. But they know that most people will just sit back and take it. So there's no revolt.

I don't disagree. I think we are at the crossroads though, nearing a revolt. People are getting fed up with the corporate shilling.

I don't disagree. I think we are at the crossroads though, nearing a revolt. People are getting fed up with the corporate shilling.

Meh, I disagree. The AD listens to the fans. Last year, me and my buddy went to a game and we took my buddy's elderly dad. My buddy has a KC pass, but bince we had to go to Cedar Rapids first and pick up his dad, we didn't get to Kinnick until about 10:30. This fella drops a $10k donation per year. Lo and behold, when we pulled into the KC lot, they told us there were no spots available. My buddy got salty and drove in anyway and parked in sort of a non-spot not blocking anyone. He got some janky parking ticket from the U of I parking police or whatever. He emailed the athletic department with a rather curt tone and they got rid of the ticket and apologized profusely. Then, this year they implemented a new policy where you can't have tents in the KC lot unless you have one of the baller reserved spaces with a number on it. That is a win-win for me because my (now former - Thanks Barta) seat neighbor has one of those and when we show up at 10:30 we'll actually be able to park in the KC lot because no moron with a tent will be blocking our passage or taking up an extra spot. Moral of the story, they do listen to the common fan.

and this from 1899

Awesome.

That's where we are today. Any captive audience gets hammered.

Watching on TV isn't exactly the best "revolt", either.

What really irks people, it appears to me, is the non-monetary stuff, which is an area in which the school should be willing to give in a bit.

Meh, I disagree. The AD listens to the fans. Last year, me and my buddy went to a game and we took my buddy's elderly dad. My buddy has a KC pass, but bince we had to go to Cedar Rapids first and pick up his dad, we didn't get to Kinnick until about 10:30. This fella drops a $10k donation per year. Lo and behold, when we pulled into the KC lot, they told us there were no spots available. My buddy got salty and drove in anyway and parked in sort of a non-spot not blocking anyone. He got some janky parking ticket from the U of I parking police or whatever. He emailed the athletic department with a rather curt tone and they got rid of the ticket and apologized profusely. Then, this year they implemented a new policy where you can't have tents in the KC lot unless you have one of the baller reserved spaces with a number on it. That is a win-win for me because my (now former - Thanks Barta) seat neighbor has one of those and when we show up at 10:30 we'll actually be able to park in the KC lot because no moron with a tent will be blocking our passage or taking up an extra spot. Moral of the story, they do listen to the common fan.

Perfect! I love those feel good stories where the little guy wins.

When the cost to go ratio hits the line of when it's just not worth it to go anymore for the majority of the people is when that'll happen... It'll take some huge chunks of empty seats in the stands to embarrass them into making changes. It won't hurt them money wise so much because of the tv money. Hope it don't come to that....

When the cost to go ratio hits the line of when it's just not worth it to go anymore for the majority of the people is when that'll happen... It'll take some huge chunks of empty seats in the stands to embarrass them into making changes. It won't hurt them money wise so much because of the tv money. Hope it don't come to that....

Like I said, I think we're close.

Latest posts