College Football Playoff - The Negatives

eyekwah

New-Playoff-Format-Fraught-With-Potential-Issues

Spotted the above article on CBS Sports site. It is quite lengthy, but it does raise the question of whether the college football playoff is good overall for college football. My personal opinion is that the CFP was pushed by the sports media without regard for the unintended consequences. By January 1 I am ready to put football away until September and watch basketball. It is a guess but the TV audiences for the semifinals games and the final game will not be that huge. The fans of the four teams that are selected the TV will be attracted, but others won't care. The game between Auburn and FSU did not have a big audience this past January.

Will you be watching the College Football Playoffs?

I'm not a fan of traditional bowl games so I am looking forward to the playoff (even though technically the semis are bowl games). The obvious downside to the playoffs is it moves college football, which is built on tradition, away from its traditional end of season to the professional model.

Judging from the fact that NFL playoff game ratings are huge, I think many neutral fans will tune into the college playoffs as well. I guess we'll see in January.

It was interesting to read about the cost and logistic issues for fans of a team in the playoffs that wins the conference championship game. Now, imagine that with 8 or 16 teams. The normal fans of a top team, who sacrifice to prioritize support for a bowl game, are being sacrificed by being asked to do it several times per season.

I am not a fan of the playoff. Turning college football into NFL-lite is a mistake. Big Ten does not need to scramble for every last dime out there, as we have BTN riches already.

Soon, the other bowls will fade away, and the color, pageantry and passion for college football will fade also. It will be the same 10-12 schools in postseason play every year, and even those fan bases will start to stay home, on the expense only.

It is overkill. It will raise up the rich programs even more, and create a huge gap between the haves and have-nots. No top recruit will want to play for a school not on that list of 12 ....and every coach not making the playoffs 2-3 yrs in a row will be on the hot seat....welcome to the NFL!

College football will never be the same as it was. We've had major realignment, now a college football playoff, next they are going to pay players. You might as well go to 4 16 team super conferences and get it over with. CFB has been consumed by greed and media hype. People will hold onto tradition as long as possible but most of it will be sucked out of the game in the coming years.

With that said, it's football, and I'll watch it as long as it's on. I love CFB, and really enjoy the NFL as well. If it last longer.....that's a good consequence of the playoff system in my book.

Latest posts