College Basketball Refs

I don't follow. Shouldn't there be fewer charge calls because of the circle?

Refs are focusing on the player's feet just being outside of the circle, rather than if they are in good position. It's led to a huge increase in charges this year, especially in the tournament.

Refs are focusing on the player's feet just being outside of the circle, rather than if they are in good position. It's led to a huge increase in charges this year, especially in the tournament.

I'd have to agree, but it's not like they were doing all that great with charge calls before the semi-circle.

Interesting. I'm not sure I agree with the argument, but I don't really have enough info to disagree either.

Luke: it's the worst because it's the hardest. The problem is us; we expect perfection from them but it's just not possible, especially regarding the charge circle.

Luke: it's the worst because it's the hardest. The problem is us; we expect perfection from them but it's just not possible, especially regarding the charge circle.

Really cannot agree with you on this. I think a big part is that college refs don't get the proper training or put in enough time - due to other jobs etc. They can't keep up with the action.

Agree that it is hard than college FB - but the quality of officiating is just awful. Indefensible....

Really cannot agree with you on this. I think a big part is that college refs don't get the proper training or put in enough time - due to other jobs etc. They can't keep up with the action.

Agree that it is hard than college FB - but the quality of officiating is just awful. Indefensible....

The guys working in the tournament prob ly work a minimum of fourty dates a year.

Honestly - the worst officiating in any sport......brutal to watch - even when I don't care who wins....

People complain because the officials don't call anything and let em' play, then they start calling everything and people complain that the officials are calling it to tight and not letting them play - what do you want?

If it's such an easy job, why aren't you doing it?

People complain because the officials don't call anything and let em' play, then they start calling everything and people complain that the officials are calling it to tight and not letting them play - what do you want?

If it's such an easy job, why aren't you doing it?

Dont recall calling it easy. The quality is really bad though. 40 dates a year? Really? H.S. refs to that.

Are you serious?

2011-12 games officiated:

Joe DeRosa - 64
Les Jones - 88 (11th most games called this year)
Doug Shows - 70

Season to this point - 21 weeks:

DeRosa = 3.04 games a week
Jones = 4.19 games a week
Shows = 3.33 games a week

College Basketball Referees - StatSheet.com

Last edited:
BTW, outside the block charges, which are the most difficult decisions in the game, I thought the rest of the officiating was outstanding. Very consistent.

In addition you have to give credit to the defense for a lot of the charges. They are taught so well to get into position, and they are so good at making it look like they are in position even when they aren't. They do a great job pitting pressure on officials to make a call.