Coahing staff changes?

HawkeyeNTexas

Do you think their will be any in the off season other than Norm retiring? I personally would like to see KOK go, but not going to happen. This offense has become so predictable and stale that something needs to change.

I also am not very pleased with the defensive backs this year. Phil Parker needs to go in my opinion. They just aren't coached well. They need to look for the ball, especially Hyde. I can recall more than several instances where an interception could have been made if the DB was looking for the ball.

LOL, no. I do not see Ferentz changing his M.O. at this point in his career.

I don't agree with your assesment of the DB position when you look at it over time as some pretty good players has come from these spots. This will be a strong position next year.

should there be changes after this debacle of a season given the poor performance of special teams and the rapid decline of the offenses scoring output, yes. Will there be, of course not.

LOL, no. I do not see Ferentz changing his M.O. at this point in his career.

I don't agree with your assesment of the DB position when you look at it over time as some pretty good players has come from these spots. This will be a strong position next year.

I never said their weren't any good players at the position, I just think they've underperformed this year. It has been a week spot of the defense. I would just like to see them looking more towards the ball and have more awareness on the field.

I would like to see Norm retire and a new DC hired. Either someone from within or from outside the program. I believe part of the defensive issues this year are results of him not being there. He needs to sit back, relax, and try to stay healthy. He can get together with Kirk at the Hamburg Inn for breakfast and discuss strategy.

I would love to see Norm back as I think he is more responsible for the overall success of this program under Ferentz than people realize. I would however like to see some changes as far as their close game/ end of game tactics, overall game planning and clock management is concerned.

No there will not be unless Norm steps down, and nor should their be.

To suggest that these guys are incapable of coaching is pretty ridiculous.

To suggest that the Capt'n. needs to address glaring holes in his philosophy and direct his coordinators and position coaches to adjust accordingly is another matter entirely.

I would like to see Norm retire and a new DC hired. Either someone from within or from outside the program. I believe part of the defensive issues this year are results of him not being there. He needs to sit back, relax, and try to stay healthy. He can get together with Kirk at the Hamburg Inn for breakfast and discuss strategy.

And our defense played so much better when Norm wasn't on the field or in the box making adjustments......wow...and you want to hire from within......no thanks......:mad:

To suggest that the Capt'n. needs to address glaring holes in his philosophy and direct his coordinators and position coaches to adjust accordingly is another matter entirely.

There are no glaring holes in his philosophy. It is the same philosophy employed last year, and in 2005, and in 2002. The only difference is that our players are not as good and/or not executing and performing to the best of their abilities.

I dont have a problem with Norm coming back next year, but feel he has to be in a possition to be on the sideline during the game and grab a few helmets and get into a few faces if nesesary. I dont think he can have the same effectiveness from the both. The both is fow lower assistant coaches not the cordinatior. I dont mind if he does this from a power chair but he has to be on sideline.

Do you think their will be any in the off season other than Norm retiring? I personally would like to see KOK go, but not going to happen. This offense has become so predictable and stale that something needs to change.

I also am not very pleased with the defensive backs this year. Phil Parker needs to go in my opinion. They just aren't coached well. They need to look for the ball, especially Hyde. I can recall more than several instances where an interception could have been made if the DB was looking for the ball.

I can't disagree more. In my opinion, the d-backs have been the strength of our defense this year. Thinking about the OSU game, there were several plays when the Buckeyes went 4 or 5 wide, Pryor had ALL DAY to throw the ball due to the lack of a pass rush, and no one was open...that's because our d-backs covered their wideouts for an extended period of time.

Phil Parker has done a very good job this year IMHO. He's also not leaving, because I believe he'll be the next defensive coordinator when Norm retires.

I don't want to see Norm out, but KOK has not demonstrated the ability to use the talent Iowa has had to the best of their ability. Sometimes I feel like Iowa wins their games in spite of Ken. If an offensive coordinator worth his salt would have had the talent offensively that Iowa seemingly had this year, could have put 30+ on Northwestern and probably 24-28 on OSU. I know Kirk will not make any changes, but that's just my 2 cents worth.

I don't want to see Norm out, but KOK has not demonstrated the ability to use the talent Iowa has had to the best of their ability. Sometimes I feel like Iowa wins their games in spite of Ken. If an offensive coordinator worth his salt would have had the talent offensively that Iowa seemingly had this year, could have put 30+ on Northwestern and probably 24-28 on OSU. I know Kirk will not make any changes, but that's just my 2 cents worth.

Nobody would want to see a healthy Norm gone. But he is past any reasonable point of expecting the health necessary to be an effective coordinator.

I know the soft zone defense can be a little frustrating at times, but we held NU and OSU to 21 and 20 points. That can hardly be characterized as a major problem. And if the offense could convert a few more 3rd downs, our d-line would not be gassed in the fourth quarter.

Sometimes a fresh face is a good idea, but be careful what you wish for. If we significantly changed offensive and/or defensive philosophies, be prepared for a few down years. It obviously takes players a while to get used to new schemes and there's a good chance that your recruited players' skill sets are not a good match for those new schemes.

I dont have a problem with Norm coming back next year, but feel he has to be in a possition to be on the sideline during the game and grab a few helmets and get into a few faces if nesesary. I dont think he can have the same effectiveness from the both. The both is fow lower assistant coaches not the cordinatior. I dont mind if he does this from a power chair but he has to be on sideline.

Agree. We can't have a part-time defensive coordinator.

I know the soft zone defense can be a little frustrating at times, but we held NU and OSU to 21 and 20 points. That can hardly be characterized as a major problem. And if the offense could convert a few more 3rd downs, our d-line would not be gassed in the fourth quarter.

Sometimes a fresh face is a good idea, but be careful what you wish for. If we significantly changed offensive and/or defensive philosophies, be prepared for a few down years. It obviously takes players a while to get used to new schemes and there's a good chance that your recruited players' skill sets are not a good match for those new schemes.

I only want to see the soft zone thrown out against NW and IU (and teams that run similar offensive schemes). They don't score a TON of points on us because they don't rack up big YAC numbers. But they execute their offense and move the ball, 5-12 yards at a time. That takes up time, and therefore limiting their possessions a little bit. But their offenses do have success against us, and I just want to see us stop making it so easy for them to isolate their top receivers on our linebackers.

Latest posts