Coaches that weren't hired by Barta

knighthawk13

I was thinking back to the coaches that were rumored to be candidates for the Iowa job prior to Lick being named. Other than Bruce Pearl, have any of the other coaches done anthing impressive? If I'm not mistaken, Chris Lowery at Southern Illinois was a candidate, as was Stallings at Vanderbilt. Was there anyone else rumored to be a candidate that has been successful since Lick was hired? Lon Kruger was also rumored, but not sure if that was true. I'm sure Barta has played the "what if" game a few times this year.

I think Rick Majerus was mentioned but he ended up at St. Louis and I'm not really sure what he has done there but he did a great job at Utah.

?? Wasn't Dana Altman in the mix ??

I hate to bring this up but the really sad thing is they just showed during the Creighton game the list of the top 10 schools in attendance this year. Creighton is one of two non-BCS schools in the top ten with Memphis being the other.

Here is the list and attendance numbers.

Kentucky - 24,068
Louisville - 19,145
Syracuse - 19,047
North Carolina - 18,336
Tennessee - 18,106
Wisconsin - 17,230
Memphis - 16,726
Kansas - 16,530
Mayland - 16,188
Creighton - 16,047

While I think Coach Lick will end up getting another year, what would it take to get Altman away from Creighton? I know he accepted then recanted on the Arkansas job but I really wonder how did Creighton get him away from Kansas State???

FYI Lionhawk.

Altman was either fired or run from KSU. He was an assistant for two years under Kruger, if memory serves. He was a juco coach before that and he brought some talent to KSU so they hired him. He had two years of moderate success at the beginning, but faded in years three and four, I believe.

They had Jack Hartman and Tex Winters as head coaches there before Kruger. That might be three HOF coaches. Altman was probably a little green when he got the head job, and I believe they had one or two scholarships taken from violations by Lon Kruger, a stud player for KSU in the early 1970s.

Anyway, Creighton didn't steal him from KSU by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, he rules the roost in Creighton. They have obviously appreciated basketball there since Eddie Sutton was their coach.

I hope that background, from memory, helped.

?? Wasn't Dana Altman in the mix ??

I hate to bring this up but the really sad thing is they just showed during the Creighton game the list of the top 10 schools in attendance this year. Creighton is one of two non-BCS schools in the top ten with Memphis being the other.

Here is the list and attendance numbers.

Kentucky - 24,068
Louisville - 19,145
Syracuse - 19,047
North Carolina - 18,336
Tennessee - 18,106
Wisconsin - 17,230
Memphis - 16,726
Kansas - 16,530
Mayland - 16,188
Creighton - 16,047

While I think Coach Lick will end up getting another year, what would it take to get Altman away from Creighton? I know he accepted then recanted on the Arkansas job but I really wonder how did Creighton get him away from Kansas State???

I'll pass on Altman. Have you ever looked at what Altman did at KSU? 19-37 in conference play.

Dana Altman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Solid mid-major coach, but nothing he did at KSU gives me any real reason to think he would win big at Iowa. Out of the 8 trips he's made to the NCAA Tournament, just two victories.

Creighton is annually in the top 2 or 3 of the MVC, and they are also located in a city made up of a half-million people give or take, so it's no wonder they draw well, considering there is basically nothing else sports-related to do in the state of Nebraska, outside of Husker football. Creighton basketball is about the only half-way decent sports to watch all winter in that state.

Last edited: