Coaches calling timeout from the sidelines

livebythehawk85

Personally, I am not a big fan of the coaches being able to call a timeout from the sidelines especially when the playclock is just about to run out. I think it should be a player's responsibility to see that the play clock is running out and then take the timeout. There has been numerous times this year when I've been watching games, college and pro, and the play clock runs out and I think they're going to get a delay of game penalty then all of the sudden one of the side judges run over and say the coach called time out.

I was just curious if others shared the same sentiment I do, or am I the only one?

It is hard as a player because you are focused on lining up where you need to be, watching audibles, motions, listening to calls from your safeties (defense) or your QB and OLine for blocking schemes, etc...add crowd noise, blitz pickups, yardage needed or a stop needed, mental adjustments you saw on film, etc and you don't usually even LOOK over to the sideline unless there is a timeout, and even then unless a coach is talking directly to you or your group you are still thinking about a million things and not whether or not you need to relay a timeout from the coach to the official.

Eh, if a team wants to waste a timeout to avoid a 5 yard penalty, let them.

But I REALLY don't like coaches calling timeouts just as a field goal attempt is about to be snapped.

Personally I love when coaches freeze the kicker. It's just too funny when they freeze a kicker a split-second before the snap so that the kicker actually kicks the ball and misses. Then on the second try he makes it.

I hate teams where the QB looks to the sideline with seconds left to get play from coach..that peeves me to no end..that feels like cheating to me

Personally I love when coaches freeze the kicker. It's just too funny when they freeze a kicker a split-second before the snap so that the kicker actually kicks the ball and misses. Then on the second try he makes it.

Yeah, that'll be hilarious until Iowa makes a game winning FG, only to have it waived off for a TO and then we miss the 2nd attempt.

This is absolutely the dumbest rule of all time.

Yeah, that'll be hilarious until Iowa makes a game winning FG, only to have it waived off for a TO and then we miss the 2nd attempt.

This is absolutely the dumbest rule of all time.

Its not really a rule. As long as you have a timeout you can call it at anytime.

Latest posts