Clayborn's Replacement

I'm not one to get all lathered up over recruites or potential recruites but 6-6 245 is kind of exciting.

I lived in Michigan and know the success Brian Kelly has had, but I really don't like his sideline demeanor. He reacts too strongly to plays that aren't successful and throws little temper tantrums when people do not execute. Basically looks like a spoiled child throwing a fit. I really didn't like how he freaked out at Montana's kid for not being able to complete a pass in the endzone, when the fault should have been on Kelly for choosing not to kick.

While I used to get frustrated at Ferentz' seeming lack of emotion on the sideline, I now realize that the notes he takes are meaningful and allow him to address these issues in private instead of throwing public fits.

No way would I let my kid play for that *ss Kelly.

He's still committed to ND, and is taking an official to FSU, which is close to home. He's still a long shot for Iowa, but I agree, he sounds like a stud. Wouldn't mind seeing him and Kouandjio going head to head for the next 4 or 5 years in practice every day.

I lived in Michigan and know the success Brian Kelly has had, but I really don't like his sideline demeanor. He reacts too strongly to plays that aren't successful and throws little temper tantrums when people do not execute. Basically looks like a spoiled child throwing a fit. I really didn't like how he freaked out at Montana's kid for not being able to complete a pass in the endzone, when the fault should have been on Kelly for choosing not to kick.

While I used to get frustrated at Ferentz' seeming lack of emotion on the sideline, I now realize that the notes he takes are meaningful and allow him to address these issues in private instead of throwing public fits.

No way would I let my kid play for that *ss Kelly.

Well said and could not agree with you more.

ND board is claiming Lynch tweeted that he is still headed to ND he was just confused for a minute. I believe he spread his grandfathers ashes on ND's field on his ND visit. Would be a strange de-commitment.....

Last edited:
ND board is claiming Lynch tweeted that he is still headed to ND he was just confused for a minute. I believe he spread his grandfathers ashes on ND's field on his ND visit. Would be a strange de-commitment.....

If all that were true, why in the world would he even consider taking other visits? If he was THAT deeply connected with the ND program, there would be no reason to take other visits.

Kind of like how Stoop's dad was buried in a Hawk jersey, so he must be coming to Iowa to coach. :)
I'm not saying your wrong. I also think he ends up honoring his commitment(if he doesn't it wil be FSU). I just don't think the spreading of the ashes is relevant.

The Irish start practice with the 2010 group one week from Saturday.

Lynch and his mom Alice spent the morning spreading the ashes of grandfather John around the Notre Dame campus. John Lynch passed away on May 3rd but was a big supporter of his grandson joining the Irish

From what I hear, ND has 6 DE commits right now and Lynch isn't one of the biggest. His grades are apparently also not up to snuff and he may not be accepted to the university. I'd love to get this kid though. He'd be a real gem and with our other DE commits John Raymon and Riley McMinn we could be looking at another excellent rotation.

I don't know about others but when we're talking about the future replacement of Clayborn ... I'm inclined to think that such a guy is already on campus. And, even if he's not ... I'm inclined to talk up guys who are have already committed. For instance, I'm really excited about Raymon. That guy really seems to be a beast too.

Anyhow, as it is, I'm really excited to see what LeBron Daniel can do as a starter ... and really excited to see Dominic Alvis and Donavan Johnson hit the field too. We already have some nice talent on campus ... it's just an issue of having those guys get the reps.

I don't know about others but when we're talking about the future replacement of Clayborn ... I'm inclined to think that such a guy is already on campus. And, even if he's not ... I'm inclined to talk up guys who are have already committed.

+++1

I agree. I prefer to talk about what we have, not who we might get, or when they might visit, etc. I would bet that Clayborn's replacement is already on the team. Not some high school kid. For the sake of the Hawkeye football team, we better do more than hope this is true!

I don't know about others but when we're talking about the future replacement of Clayborn ... I'm inclined to think that such a guy is already on campus. And, even if he's not ... I'm inclined to talk up guys who are have already committed. For instance, I'm really excited about Raymon. That guy really seems to be a beast too.

Anyhow, as it is, I'm really excited to see what LeBron Daniel can do as a starter ... and really excited to see Dominic Alvis and Donavan Johnson hit the field too. We already have some nice talent on campus ... it's just an issue of having those guys get the reps.

This.

I look at 3 guys as the future of DE at Iowa. John Raymon, who only moved to DE last year from OL and is already developing into a super stud in prep ball, Riley McMinn, who is 6'7" and runs a 4.6 40, and Donavan Johnson. The coaches think awfully highly of Johnson, as they had him working as Clayborn's understudy in summer camps. This kid may be a really good DE, but he's still currently Irish and I think we have the guys on the team now to take over for Clayborn.

He reacts too strongly to plays that aren't successful and throws little temper tantrums when people do not execute. Basically looks like a spoiled child throwing a fit.

I'm no Kirk Ferentz in the emotional serenity department. I would totally be losing it every time a play didn't go the way of my team like you're describing Kelly does. I don't know how Kirk does it, but it's awesome.

I'm no Kirk Ferentz in the emotional serenity department. I would totally be losing it every time a play didn't go the way of my team like you're describing Kelly does. I don't know how Kirk does it, but it's awesome.

It really is. People talk about keeping a level head. It goes beyond that. It is about showing your players respect by not dresssing them down in public. I wish people would pay more attention to this. It really is an amazingly honorable trait for a coach.

Also, the note writing is so awesome, because if you understand what is going on you know someone is gonna hate film session, but it is not overly demonstrative, so it affords the player some public respect.

This kid looks like a great prospect and hopefully he gives Iowa a serious look.

That being said, Clayborn is a once-every-decade type of player. He isn't replaced by any means. The next guy in line steps in and that's about it.

Clayborn is becoming an Iowa legend, if he hasn't done so already.

Because of the fact that he's so calm on the sidelines...I absolutely love it when he gets on the ref's a** :D I mean...if a guy like him is chasing a ref down there is a very, very good reason for it.

Latest posts