Cinci's Standing Tight Ends

omahawk2

Was watching the Cincinati vs. South Florida game last Thursday. I only watched a few plays but, I thought I saw their tight ends standing "a la" HF. Is the cinci coach a deciple of HF? Anyone else ever notice this or was I seeing things?

Was watching the Cincinati vs. South Florida game last Thursday. I only watched a few plays but, I thought I saw their tight ends standing "a la" HF. Is the cinci coach a deciple of HF? Anyone else ever notice this or was I seeing things?

You definitely weren't seeing things...I posted something during that game on the Scout site. They sometimes had double tights and both of them were standing. Real throwback to Hayden's days...

I don't think Brian Kelly fell off the Fry tree though, although there are a couple Cincinnati coaches that did (Bobby Diaco and Bill Ennis-Inge).

Not to ever question the great HF, but why did he have the tight ends stand? It doesn't seem to give the TE any advantage. Surely he had a reason. Anyone want to fill me in.

I think it gave the TE the ability to scan the defense. It certainly seems counter-productive now for blocking purposes, but I think the ability to see the D was the main reason for it on Hayden's teams.

Latest posts