Chuck Long an Ast. Coach?

There was an interesting article in the DMR about Chuck Long and how he has been following UI games this year (since he has extra time on his hands) and how he has the desire to coach again, starting as an assistant. I would hire him as an assistant w/o reservation. Will he or should he coach for the Hawks again? Coaching what positions? www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091028/SPORTS020502/91028047/1093/SPORTS0205

I'm pretty sure Ferentz has known where to find Chuck if he needed him. Love Chuck Long, but if Ferentz doesn't feel we need him, then we don't.

I would love to see Chuck come back home. I'm sure KF could handle having Chuck on his staff if Chuck knew his role. It would benefit both Chuck and Iowa to have him on board. Imagine if Chuck was coaching Ricky, I'm sure he could improve even more. Chuck as a QB coach/Pass game coordiantor wouldn't hurt my feelings.

So who is he replacing?

These type of posts crack me up. We are 8-0 and people are talking about a staff shakeup, unreal.

So who is he replacing?

These type of posts crack me up. We are 8-0 and people are talking about a staff shakeup, unreal.

Why does there have to be a staff shakeup? He was an excellent Assistant at Iowa and at Oklahoma. Does he have nothing to offer? Thinking that would be unreal.

Why does there have to be a staff shakeup? He was an excellent Assistant at Iowa and at Oklahoma. Does he have nothing to offer? Thinking that would be unreal.

Well, you realize we have a full staff, right? Thus, for someone to be hired someone has to leave. Make sense now?

Besides your love of him as a player, what exactly makes you think that Long would be an improvement over Iowa's current staff?

This reminds me of the "BJ Armstrong for head basketball coach" rumors that came up when Alford left.

Besides your love of him as a player, what exactly makes you think that Long would be an improvement over Iowa's current staff?

This reminds me of the "BJ Armstrong for head basketball coach" rumors that came up when Alford left.

Consider some facts about Long's career as an assistant:

Long coached Dbacks at Iowa from 95-97. In '95 we led the nation in INTs returned for TDs. We led the Big 10 in '97 in INTs. He switched to QB coach in '98 and was retained by Ferentz for the same position in '99. Long then went to Oklahoma as their QB coach. Remember Josh Heupel? Long coached him and helped the team to the NC. Starting in '02 Long was Oklahoma's OC. They won the Rose Bowl that year. Then in '03 his offense set the Big 12 record for average pts/gm, at 51.5. In '04 he was a finalist for the top Asst. Coach of the year award.

Granted, Oklahoma recruits differently than Iowa. Still, I think he'd improve our offensive numbers.

If I remember right Chuck either pushed for an interveiw and didn't get one when they hired Kirk or was told he had no chance and was a little ******. That was a while ago and may have this slightly wrong...but I do remember there being a little rift at that time. The bottom line I don't think he was offered a better job on the staff and was felt dissed.

Someone please correct me....the last thing I want is start something.

Last edited:
Not that this really matters, but I was told by a source that Chuck Long was an "8 to 5" guy and didn't want to put in the hours when he worked for Ferentz back in 1999

Not that this really matters, but I was told by a source that Chuck Long was an "8 to 5" guy and didn't want to put in the hours when he worked for Ferentz back in 1999

Well let me see that was 10 yrs ago ....he's been an Oklahoma coach and
a HC do you think perhaps might have matured some on that track????

Last edited:
He probably cannot accept a postion while he continues to draw the balance of his contracted compensation. How much longer is he under contract? Once the contract runs we will find put better what his future plans are.

He probably cannot accept a postion while he continues to draw the balance of his contracted compensation. How much longer is he under contract? Once the contract runs we will find put better what his future plans are.

Per the DMR Long is under contract till December 2010, but he made it clear that he's looking for work next year as an assistant, stating that the hiring window is December-March.

Chuck could join the program as a non-paid assistant, similar to Mike Stoops. Assuming The Captain wants him on the staff as a full-time paid assistant, he could take the next opening. Again, assuming Capt. doesn't have someone else in mind for whatever position may open AND that coach wants him on the team...

Chuck Long does not need the money! If he wanted to get on the staff and do it as a non-paid assistant, he could do it...

I'm sure this is an invitation for defensive folk.... But, guess what. There does not have to be a staff shake-up to have CL join the staff as QB coach. No, there really does not. If you consider an addition a shake-up, then, okay..., you are correct.

On another note, if it helps the team and the QBs, what is the problem? If it helps is it bad?

Riddle me this geniouses, if Chuck Long would have gone to Aleghany College to be a head coach, do you think that he would have been a .500 coach. If so, then you could see his ability to be an offensive coordinator. Now, I know that people want to have Iowa open up the playbook, but I like the way this team is coached. Long could learn to have a great coordinators' eye. He did not get offered this year because he would have had to forfeit his contract. I don't know anyone who would rather coach for $200K or sit around and collect $1M. This year he is free to go. He will be a hawk coach at some point. QB coach would make a lot of sense. Most important position on the team and you don't have a specialty coach for it? My only gripe about this team, one of those and we start to see some serious stuff. Vandy looks legit as a backup. Give him a QB coach learning the ropes, he will be a stud!!

Latest posts